7mm Syphon G Diag O.22

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I picked up the Kirk syphon G a few years ago along with some wayho 'American' bogies and a set of CPL corridor connections.
Information in the GW Syphon book shows 6 of these to have 9'' american bogies instead of the normal 7'' bogies, as with most of Kirk kits the plastic detail is basic, so other items picked up in recent years will be attached in due course, maily brass including the angle truss.

O 22 1.jpg

The syphon has been sat in my workshop for a few years in this state, the photo does not show up the dusty dirty roof.

O 22 2.jpg

I started constructing the corridor connections the other day, the instructions are not up to much as I found out when one set of fold lines need to be folded on the out side not the inside.
It recomends pins for the build as I could only find 20mm brass lace pins I have used 0.5 mm nickle silver rod with washers soldered at each end. areas that needed to move were chemically blackened before i got the soldering iron out, and fag paper was used between the washers and the moving parts.

Ian G
Both ends of the siphon will the covers on.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
nice :thumbs:

Always wondered why they had corridor connections since they were for transporting milk churns, seems rather strange to me *scratches head*

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Looks good - as do the CPL corridor connections. Are they company specific or generic?

I keep thinking about picking up a Kirk kit or two to build at the cottage when my stash of wagon kits runs out.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
The CPL corridor connections are GWR ones, i picked up some v-hangers and lamp irons from them, looking through the syphon book there are many 'G's that can be modelled with the Kirk kit.

Ian G

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
The CPL corridor connections are GWR ones, i picked up some v-hangers and lamp irons from them, looking through the syphon book there are many 'G's that can be modelled with the Kirk kit.

Ian G

Ian, Rob,

They may be 'GWR' but also include the additional elements to make up the LMS versions that have double scissors. As well you might expect when these are British Standard gangways. The only real issue is with Southern or Eastern carriages where they may need adapter plates to couple on to 'Pullman' gangways (watch this space).

It's also worth noting that CPL do two different types of BS gangway, although for the life of me I can't remember why...

I also can see what you mean about having many build options, but isn't there a concern with vertical vs. horizontal planking in this kit? I have a vague recollection of an issue.

Steph

Ian G

Western Thunderer
The gangway kit makes either the scissors or suspended gangways, there is not enough parts in the kit to do both.

Ian G

Ian G

Western Thunderer
can any one point me towards a decent picture of a GWR battery box please.

Ian G

Ian G

Western Thunderer
A bit more work on the batery box, having spent many an hour looking at the etches and the information Heather supplied me, their are about another 16 bits of the etch to finish these boxes off, more pics to follow.

Ian G

O 22 12.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
After this you are going to be qualified to tackle the Scorpio O/F Siphon... vac brake / air brake / Queen post and truss rod / odd-looking bogies :thumbs: . You will enjoy the research... you will.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
Need to finish my G6 after this is in primer, as I am sorting a cam for the chuff with DCC.

Ian G

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ian,

I'm really liking this and it's very useful as I've got one in the stack to do. Just pondering etching the odd bits of strapping that are missing...

Steph

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I picked up an etch for the strapping from Hobby Holidays at Railex, will put a photo up later.

Ian G

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I cant find were I have put the strapping but will have a better look this weekend, looking through my Syphon book i may upgrade to a later diagram number, the only change I have to do is roof vents and un-solder the scissors gangway and turn it into a susspended one.

Ian G

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ian,
That strapping might well be fine for the outside-framed siphon that Ian does so I'll investigate further. I've got one of those too build too!
Steph

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I noticed a few mistakes before glueing made up items to the underframe, Vac cylinder/V hangers are handed so took one apart and fixed the problem, Battery boxes, looking at most of the photos I have a lot of the Syphons are fitted with the smaller 3' 6'' battery box, after making the larger ones these went together quicker, I have the srapping at the right length, this helps with the gap between the solebar and the top of the battery box, will add the smaller detail on Friday.

Ian G

O 22 17.jpg

O 22 18.jpg