Supplier for pin chucks

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
In the recent past we have bought a set of pin chucks from Ebay, primarily for use on plastic mouldings with drills in the range 1mm to 2.5mm - the set that we received does the job for which the purchase was made. Now wanting to use a 3.5mm drill with the largest pin chuck in the set we find that the ferrule does not tighten on the chuck body, the threads on the body and ferrule are too shallow so that tightening on a drill causes the ferrule to jump threads.

I wish to purchase some pin chucks which are "accurate"... hold the drill centrally and securely... preferably a set covering the range 0.5mm to 4mm diameter. Amazon and Ebay throw up many suppliers and the prices suggest that the goods are not likely to be of quality. For some sets the asking price is anywhere between £5 and £45 for what is claimed to be "Eclipse" brand, the reviews on Amazon suggest strongly that purchase through that route is a lottery as to what one gets.

I checked Squires today and their on-line catalogue lists two items suitable for 3mm to 5mm... one item is described as "high quality" at approximately £5 and one item is described as "English pin vice no. 124" at approximately £16. However, when placing the order I was advised that the "Eclipse" item was priced at approximately £5, so similar price as the "high quality" item. I decided to not place an order and to ask the WT-mind as to where to go for pin chucks that are going to be satisfactory.

To recap, where do you go for pin chucks that hold the drill centrally and securely over the range 0.5mm to (say) 4mm?

thank you, Graham

DavidB

Western Thunderer
I gave my Eclipse pin vices away years ago as I found they got very stiff and difficult to use. Instead, I always use an Archimedes drill for sizes from 0.3mm up to 1mm then above that one of these (in Squires' catalogue) which is very comfortable to use. I sometimes use a double-ended pin vice which is not so comfortable to use as the end not in use is in my palm and keeps coming unscrewed!

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 13.15.59.png

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I agree, David, about the convenience and effectiveness of that pin vice. I found, though, that I need more than one so I have a different collet in each. I get absurdly frustrated with having to release one size of collet to install another. In fact I have three.....

Brian

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
A trick I use when using the double ended pin vice is to put a large dia. drawing pin in the top end which sits comfortably in the palm of your hand.
You need a drawing pin of the type that is not fitted right through the cap.

Col.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
A trick I use when using the double ended pin vice is to put a large dia. drawing pin in the top end which sits comfortably in the palm of your hand.
You need a drawing pin of the type that is not fitted right through the cap.
I agree. I have done this and it helps but I am inherently lazy and can't be bothered to look for a drawing pin!

I prefer to use constant size drill shanks like these
A good point and I have gone in this direction since I bought a rechargeable Foredom micromotor. However, I have not been able to find any constant shank drills smaller than 0.5mm nor in .5mm increments. I still prefer to use an Archimedes drill with small diameter bits especially where I have to drill a small hole in a small bit of metal.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I have recently bought a set of 4 pin vices from Chronos engineering supplies, the small one goes down to 0.3mm atleast, I'm not sure what the upper limit is and the product description doesn't give it and mine are in the club room.

bambuko

Western Thunderer
An expensive but very nice solution is Albrecht keyless chuck (http://www.rotagriponline.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29)
and if you budget doesn't extend that far cheap chinese shit knock off will be better than most of the "hobby" offerings .
An alternative (particularly if you settle on constant size drill shanks) is an ER11 collet chuck. Ebay is full of them, or you could buy one here: ER11 Straight Shank Collet Chuck - Arc Euro Trade
Gripping range starts at 0.5mm for ER11

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you to all who have contributed to this topic.

Conclusions? On-line reviews suggest that the Eclipse brand is subject to variable quality control and that is what we have found with the 3 to 5mm chuck. Clearly the old adage "Buyer beware" is so true in this aspect of our hobby and one which is difficult to achieve in the absence of shows. For now, I think that I shall go with Colin's offering of a collet and chuck product:-

regards, Graham