7mm Steph's Infernal Combustion Workbench

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments guys. I must admit it's been interesting to see the number of 'views' and 'likes', but a bit strange when the thread itself only had my meanderings for a while there...

Anyway, on to tonight's pressing engagement. (Pun intended)

With eight laminations of the coupling rods requiring joggles to make the knuckle joint work I realised I'd need a way to quickly and accurately form the necessary tight s-bend, otherwise it could take me hours. It'd also be a problem as regards accuracy, imposing slightly different lengths in the rods. By the way I should add that this isn't meant as a criticism of the kit in any way - it's a prototype detail that I love and I usually make my models up with coupling rod joints on the knuckle. (Go-on someone; ask... :)))

So lets have a quick look at what we're setting out to achieve:
IMG_1438.jpg

Now in terms of the tool I used some scrap 0.040" (1mm) brass I had knocking about. Well, I say brass, it's awfully soft so I supect it's actually gilding metal. Here it is with the two halves seperated showing the forming surfaces (of 0.015" brass). When the tool is together they're actually around 0.5mm apart - forming the distance between the concave and convex bends shown above:
IMG_1439.jpg

In use, a coupling rod is carefully prepared to fit as perfectly as possible over the tubular peg (this is the material I'm going to use to form the knuckle pin):
IMG_1437.jpg

The two halves of the tool are bought together, before being clamped up in my bench vice:
IMG_1442.jpg

And once seperated again, out pops the finished article:
IMG_1436.jpg

Time to make the tool was about half an hour and each formed lamination takes about 15 seconds to do. Time well spent, I think.

So I should get the rods finished this week. Which'll be nice...

Steph

Simon

Flying Squad
Dashed clever and so simple that even a bodger like me might attempt it.

I think simple tools and jigs are an under exposed part of the modeller's craft, so thanks for sharing this:thumbs:

Simon

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Excellent Steph, will you do a step by step for the hole process of the rods? They have had me intrigued since I saw the Jinty chassis at Halifax.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I think simple tools and jigs are an under exposed part of the modeller's craft, so thanks for sharing this:thumbs:

Simon,
I use little tools and jigs a great deal - in the case of batch building like this it can save a great deal of effort and time too. I suspect there may be more to come...

Excellent Steph, will you do a step by step for the hole process of the rods? They have had me intrigued since I saw the Jinty chassis at Halifax.

Rob,
Not easily with the components to hand as they're actually designed to pivot on the knuckle. I did take some pics of the Jinty chassis under construction and will happily post those in a seperate thread to show how to convert rods which pivot on the crankpin, if that'll help?

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Not a lot, no! Work's been very busy so I've not had much a chance to do anything. Added to which my early quick hits (including the coupling rods) seem to need rework. Believe it or not, I think I may have found a small error in the kit, but one which will bug me if I don't sort it...

More anon. The thinking cap is on this evening so I can try and work out how to solve the problem in hand!

Steph