Stephens 2mmFS adventures start here

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
Good Morning,
I thought it was about time I started to inflict my experiences with a newish venture in 2mm Finescale. Whilst I have been mainly involved in the larger scales, I have had an increasing interest in 2mm Finescale. All the fault of Allan Butler of Modelu really, since if hadn't done his 3D prints of finials and lamps, I wouldn't have started to see what is possible.

As some may know I do etched parts for tapered signal posts in 7mm, 4mm and 2mm scales. I found that it is just possible to get an 0402 SMD LED into one of his 2mm scale GWR lamps, of course it is easier to get a fibre optic cable in. With the hollow posts it is of course relatively easy to get the cable/fibre up the the post.

Anyway here are a few pictures to help illustrate. There will be a layout eventually, I am building the necessary trackwork, which includes a tandem and a double slip, just for the hell of it. So subsequent pictures are likely to be more about that.IMG_1084.JPGIMG_1087_1A.jpgfibre5.jpgIMG_0834_1.JPGIMG_1084.JPGIMG_1087_1A.jpgfibre5.jpgIMG_0834_1.JPG

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
I have just been experimenting with fitting working lights to signals.
1) Fibre optic in Modelu lamps works OK but the problem is bracket signals
2) 0402 SMD LEDS in Modelu lamps is just possible but then you have the problem of stopping light leaking through the lamp body
3) I remembered that I had some small diameter heat shrink tube (approx 1.9mm) which when shrunk is a close fit on the LED, just have to create some suitable holes before shrinking it on. It's black and no light comes through where it shouldn't and almost looks as good as the Modelu lamp when unlit.

I think I therefore have a solution.

I am therefore proceeding to build at least one GWR tubular bracket signal. I will do some photos when done more soon.

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
A quick update. Bracket Signal well under way, lights fitted and working. Tomorrow is the day for starting to fit the arms etc after which some photos.