Steel or Nickel? (rail, that is)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Simon (Caggers) has gone over to the "enlighted" side and has been asking questions appertaining to building of 7mm track.... most of Simon's questions have been answered so far. There is one question which I feel does not have a clear, objective, answer... the question is most likely to provoke a subjective response and that is how I have replied to Simon.

However, there is a fair number of "builders of PW" in the WT world and those members may have different views to me and equally valid reasons for their choices. To kick off this discussion, here is my take on the subject.

My preference is for nickel rail... and these are the pros/cons
* pros
- easy to work;
- easy to solder;
- does not leave a gunge on the hands;
- does not rust.
* cons
- price (possibly);
- colour... ordinary nickel rail is too yellow, the more recent / current "HiNi" alloy is less yellow.

As for steel...
* pros
- prototypical colour;
- stronger and that is important with the finer tips of C and D switch rails;
- does rust - if you want rusty rails in the sidings;
- takes blackening well and that is useful for the tops of wing / check rails;
* cons
- does rust so needs care with cleaning after soldering;
- working the rail, eg. filing, leaves the fingers with a horrible gunge deposit.

All comments are worthwhile here so please add your thoughts.

regards, Graham

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
The issues with rust and steel rail put me off it completely, particularly that caused by flux. By the time n/s rail is weathered the colour issue is really minimised.Tim

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Graham,

FWIW, I used HiNi - I have an aversion to things that rust, nor do I find soldering to steel much fun. It still takes blackening well, and I don't see that the strength is insufficient for the tips of switch rails. I have a number of Cs, though no Ds.

As for prototypical colour, we're only talking about the top surface as you will be painting the sides. I would also have thought (but with no evidence to back this) that HiNi will be easier to keep clean, therefore provide more reliable DCC running.

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I would also have thought (but with no evidence to back this) that HiNi will be easier to keep clean, therefore provide more reliable DCC running.
Scruft's Jcn. is done with the precursor to HiNi... and the rail does tarnish, say four to five weeks between cleaning (although this may depend upon climate and frequency of running). The limited experience with steel suggests that regular use seems to harden the surface and reduce grunge - Hartley Hill is steel and that is going to provide info on the subject.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I used HiNi ... I don't see that the strength is insufficient for the tips of switch rails...
This may be a difference that results from prototype and "standards". I suspect that my use of Nickel for switch blades of S7 turnouts could have coloured my views, for turnouts without a joggle in the stock rail the switches are planed on both sides with a resulting switch toe of circa 8 to 10thou thickness - I have had the switch rail split along the web when polishing the blade. So far this has not happened with the steel rail for Hartley Hill.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
do they differ much in thermal expansion? (thinking of garden track)
I do not know. I hope that Steph is going to answer this question.

I cut the rail into scale lengths, so 21cms for the 30'0" rails of LNWR track circa 1900. This means that I have three or four times as many joints as might be the case with (say) a complete length of Peco track.

regards, Graham

S

Simon Dunkley

do they differ much in thermal expansion? (thinking of garden track)
Don't know for certain, but I recall reading that the thermal expansion coefficient for nickel silver was almost identical to that for concrete. Certainly the values for nickel silver, steel and concrete are similar - similar enough not to be worth worrying over, but I would say that proper design with allowance for expansion during the track laying resolves any such issues.