Steel 13T Private Owner Wagon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I am pretty sure this is a 1930s Butterley built wagon.... I am not aware of a suitable kit in 7mm scale.

Ragstone Models has etches in "test build" at this time... the etches were on show at the recent Reading Trade Show and some are being "test built" at a folding table near to the A303 at this time. Photos can be posted here when Andy (@demu1037) has approved the build.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham,

It’s at Quorn and Woodhouse, still in the yard there I believe. I’d never noticed the wheel set before? Strange one that?

Western Thunderer
I read somewhere that P numbers were all done on the fly as wagons were shopped. Implying there was no logic and were randomly allocated in a rising number series. So having long sold my copy of MRJ 151 (doh!) would love to know the story in a nutshell if possible please?
Tony

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I read somewhere that P numbers were all done on the fly as wagons were shopped. Implying there was no logic and were randomly allocated in a rising number series. So having long sold my copy of MRJ 151 (doh!) would love to know the story in a nutshell if possible please?
Tony
In a nutshell, blocks of numbers were allocated to any workshop repairing wagons, both BR and contractors, so the wagon's previous owner and number were recorded and could be tracked relatively easily. Some of the records survive so it is possible to identify the original wagon from the P number in some cases. Larger number ranges (and/or several number ranges) were allocated to works doing more repairs. Each works renumbered wagons as they were being repaired using the next number in their series.

hrmspaul

Western Thunderer
Tony
Described in
Larkin, David (2018) The Acquired wagons of British Railways. Volume 1 Fleet composition and Brake vans. Crecy Publishing Ltd. 152 pages. ISBN 978-0-86093-682-4 152 pages

Paul

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Once again Fraser you have presented a very inspirational post.....I just need to get out in the "garage"! As I said in the other post on scratchbuilding in styrene you have presented these in a very clear manner.
Just sorry I missed it when you were writing it....once again late to the party!
Thank you for this
Julian

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Once again Fraser you have presented a very inspirational post.....I just need to get out in the "garage"! As I said in the other post on scratchbuilding in styrene you have presented these in a very clear manner.
Just sorry I missed it when you were writing it....once again late to the party!
Thank you for this
Julian
Thanks Julian. The hardest part of scratch building seems to be getting started. Just get some 10 thou (0.25mm) brass sheet and have a go. If a piece isn’t right just cut another. Get a feel for how the materials behave when scored, folded etc. Practice helps a lot, and don’t worry if the first attempt is not quite right.

I am in the process of collecting bits for a couple of LMS diagram 1973/1974 loco coal wagons. The builds will be similar to this one but a bit more complex with more parts. When I get some time I will start them and post on WT.