Sources of LNER Darlington and Doncaster Works drawings

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Good morning, I have been researching the original LNER 4200 gallon Group Standard Tender from 1923. From the RCTS green books I have learned that it was designed and built initially for the K3 2-6-0 at Darlington. The design was developed from the NER 4125 gallon tender introduced in 1914.
I have looked in the obvious places for any drawings of this tender. The Darlington archive does have a GA of the 4125 NER tender, but neither Doncaster nor Darlington Works drawings appear to include the original 4200 tender. Through NERA I have also looked at the Gateshead Works archive and again nothing.
I have located drawings of the post 1929 straight sided tender, but drawings of the 1925 version have eluded me.
The tender was also attached to class J38 and D49, there being 123 built in total.
Can readers of this post suggest where else I should look in the hope of finding a drawing of the original GST that would give me accurate dimensions and details of the flared sides and fittings above the tank top please?
Regards
Richard

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

If you have a copy of Hoole's NER locomotives there is a GA for the 1914 4125 gallon tender on page 203.
Thanks Rob, yes I've got that and if I can't find an early GST I'll use that as a basis. Also found a nice photograph. I can presume the shape of the flare and the dimensions are given on the Isinglass drawing. The detail I hope to find is things like the rivetted angles that held the coping plates in place. Again, I could always assume they were spaced longitudinally like the later 1929 version.

Kind regards
Richard

BetweenTheTunnels

Hi Richard,
There should be one in the drawings archive at the NRM - you can download a list of drawings from the NRM website. I am assuming you could then request to look at it (and take photos on your phone/camera) or get a copy done? I know you can do both through the 'Search Engine' with the Museum, and I assume this applies to drawings too.

Richie

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,
There should be one in the drawings archive at the NRM - you can download a list of drawings from the NRM website. I am assuming you could then request to look at it (and take photos on your phone/camera) or get a copy done? I know you can do both through the 'Search Engine' with the Museum, and I assume this applies to drawings too.

Richie
Hi Richie, I've gone through the list of Darlington and Doncaster drawings, but have been unable to find any description relative to the 1923 design. Several that relate to the 1929 revision with straight sides, but nothing showing the original tank top and coping plates.
Cheers
Richard.

BetweenTheTunnels

Hmm, I wonder, if being Darlington built, the NER Association Archive might be some help? I'll have to dig out the details, but I think you can email the archivist. I seem to recall there was limited access to the archive last year because of building work taking place ahead of the S&D 200 celebrations next year, but that might have resolved itself now. I'll see if I can dig the details out.

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Hmm, I wonder, if being Darlington built, the NER Association Archive might be some help? I'll have to dig out the details, but I think you can email the archivist. I seem to recall there was limited access to the archive last year because of building work taking place ahead of the S&D 200 celebrations next year, but that might have resolved itself now. I'll see if I can dig the details out.
Hi Richie, I'm a member of NERA and have searched their online catalogues and the Gateshead Works drawings archive. I can find only one drawing; that of the 1923 GST waterscoop arrangement. I'll contact the archivist just in case there might be an alternative source.
Kind regards
Richard