DCC Sound project for a re-furbished class 50 - 7mm model

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
What sound projects are available for re-furbished class 50 in 7mm scale? I am aware of suitable projects from Legoman, Coastal DCC, Digitrains... any others?

If you have installed sound in re-furbished class 50, what sound project have you used? why did you choose that sound project?

regards, Graham

Last edited:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham

I installed the one by YouChoos on a Zimo MX959S decoder. I like the sound and the setup of the decoder in particular that it will come ready setup for active braking on F2. I also find that Zimo decoders run better out of the box than ESU so that knocks out Legoman and SWD sound projects. I also find Zimo decoders easier to reprogram with the YouChoos software.

Richard

LarryG

Western Thunderer
There are a number of useful video's on YouTube showing what DCC sound can do. Like others, I found Zimo easy to program. I consider DCC sound is far more effective with diesels outline models than steam. Jamie Goodman does some good sounds but they are on ESU decoders.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I just couldn't get on with an ESU decoder in a steam loco some years ago. Neither could the shop that sold me the sound decoder, but that's another story. That shop now puts its sounds on ESU and D&H decoders so things must have improved. Having looked at the Hornby Black Five with Locoman sound on a D&H decoder, it performs as well as when the sound was on Zimo. It's not just sound I look at; it is control of the loco mechanism as well. Setting up 'steam' is more intensive when trying to simulate the steam 'cut-off' as the loco accelerates and uses less steam.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I used Jamie Goodman’s project on a Loksound X L decoder.
Hello Tim,

I have searched the 'net using Google and all hits for Jamie Goodman DCC have gone quiet in the last couple of years or point to Road and Rails... not making much progress in finding Goodman "50" project on R&R web site.

Where did you get your project?

What do you mean about your installation sounding like a worn loco? I have watched a class 50 passing Appleford video on the Goodman U-tube channel and at least one of the two engines does have a bit of a rattle.

regards, Graham

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham
I used to get Jamie Goodman decoders from the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Ebay shop but that seems to have disappeared.
Richard Croft at Roads&Rails can do JG sounds - he did my 50 - and can do others on Loksound decoders, including Legomanbiffo.
Excellent service
HTH
Tim

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
To all who have replied to my questions here, thank you for offering information and opinions. Peter and I have spent several enjoyable hours in following your links and other pointers as "research" into what products seem, to us, to provide a decent representation of 50 sounds.

At the moment the decision is heading towards Jamie Goodman on Loksound V5. As to speakers... this is another game to be addressed.

regards, Graham

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham

FYI Speakers used in my ’50 were:
1 x TangBand 1925S in the tanks
1 x 40x20x7mm Rail Exclusive Big Boomer on the underside next to the tanks.
( I prefer downward firing speakers)

Tim

Boxbrownie

Western Thunderer
Like Richard above I have found the Zimo decoders much nicer straight out of the box for running and fine tuning, my opinion (for what it’s worth) is Loksound 3.5/4 were very good as well and but the new V5 versions I think have gone too far with the motor tuning and it takes the patience of a saint and a lot of time if they need tuning to get super smooth running, I bought five over the Christmas period for my 4mm Locos and only one ran perfect, the rest I have been “fiddling” with ever since, I have never had any problems with Zimo in that respect, from now on I shall be only using Zimo and I do highly rate Youchoos as a company.

But also Road and Rails are excellent also and a useful source of various speakers and odd bits (I wish Richard did Zimo though as well).