Prototype Some blasts from the past.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Whilst still struggling to upload new photographs on to my files, I was browsing through some old pictures and thought that I may not have posted these previously. If I have, kindly indulge an old chap in his eighty-eighth year - they may be worth a second look......... ;) .

This is 9F 92153 giving it all as it climbs the bank at Essendine, Rutland in the early 1960's. The only information I have to hand shows it to have been allocated to 18A,Toton at that time. Corrections on that point are welcome, if necessary.
img005.jpg

At a somewhat later date - not sure when - a Class 25 (Sulzer Type 2 to us older folk) with a down freight between Kibworth and Great Glen on the MML.
img006.jpg

A slightly blurred and unidentified G2a 0-8-0 taken with my old box-brownie in my very early days trying to capture locos on film, so it would have been early to mid fifties. This is on the up slow line at Knighton Fields, Leicester and was signalled to take the branch to Nuneaton and Birmingham at Wigston North Junction. All the ex-LNWR locos I saw in those days on my home patch seemed to come from Birmingham area sheds. They regularly worked in to the East Midlands and were a common sight.
img015.jpg

A 'Crab' 2-6-0, once more unidentified I regret, briskly travelling along the down freight line between Syston Junction and Loughborough on the MML.img016 (2).jpg

Finally an 8F with a couple of brake vans drifting down towards the level crossing at Coalville. It has undoubtedly left a train at a colliery back down the line for refilling with coal to go to the south, picking up the vans to return to the yard adjacent to the shed where the loco will be serviced ready for it's next turn. The picture is smaller due to it being an experimental scan of a print as the negative has long disappeared.
Black and white.jpg
My apologies for the lack of precise details with these very old pictures. As a young lad my 'housekeeping' was not the best. Further apologies for the empty space above - due to the way this print is saved and apparently beyond my ability to shift or eliminate :( :rolleyes: . Hope you can get some pleasure from them.

Cheers,

Roger :confused: .

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Whilst still struggling to upload new photographs on to my files, I was browsing through some old pictures and thought that I may not have posted these previously. If I have, kindly indulge an old chap in his eighty-eighth year - they may be worth a second look......... ;) .

This is 9F 92153 giving it all as it climbs the bank at Essendine, Rutland in the early 1960's. The only information I have to hand shows it to have been allocated to 18A,Toton at that time. Corrections on that point are welcome, if necessary.
View attachment 223256

At a somewhat later date - not sure when - a Class 25 (Sulzer Type 2 to us older folk) with a down freight between Jibworth and Great Glen on the MML.
View attachment 223258

A slightly blurred and unidentified G2a 0-8-0 taken with my old box-brownie in my very early days trying to capture locos on film, so it would have been early to mid fifties. This is on the up slow line at Knighton Fields, Leicester and was signalled to take the branch to Nuneaton and Birmingham at Wigston North Junction. All the ex-LNWR locos I saw in those days on my home patch seemed to come from Birmingham area sheds. They regularly worked in to the East Midlands and were a common sight.
View attachment 223259

A 'Crab' 2-6-0, once more unidentified I regret, briskly travelling along the down freight line between Syston Junction and Loughborough on the MML.View attachment 223260

Finally an 8F with a couple of brake vans drifting down towards the level crossing at Coalville. It has undoubtedly left a train at a colliery back down the line for refilling with coal to go to the south, picking up the vans to return to the yard adjacent to the shed where the loco will be serviced ready for it's next turn. The picture is smaller due to it being an experimental scan of a print as the negative has long disappeared.
View attachment 223261
My apologies for the lack of precise details with these very old pictures. As a young lad my 'housekeeping' was not the best. Further apologies for the empty space above - due to the way this print is saved and apparently beyond my ability to shift or eliminate :( :rolleyes: . Hope you can get some pleasure from them.

Cheers,

Roger :confused: .

No need to worry about minor issues like presentation, Roger, with atmosphere like that :thumbs:

Jon