Slaters insulated hornblocks?

alcazar

Hi, I've been folowing one or two builds where split axles are used, and wonder why they aren't used on more STEAM locos?

If Slaters insulated hornblocks/bearings are used, surely it would work?

Does anyone have any comments, and would anyone have a picture of some Slaters insulated hornblocks etc? I can't find one on their website :(

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Me too. On tender locos I tend to use split axles on the tenders only and leave the engine itself electrically dead.

Had a funny (not har-de-har) one where under DC the loco ran fine, but with a DCC chip inserted it shorted intermittently. Turned out the brass keeper plate on a couple of guides was barely touching the frame (builder error!) and when the wheels dropped on the non-level track the axleboxes touched the keeper plate and bzzzz. Under DC it didn't bat an eyelid, but in digital had histrionics. Of course normally (and without builder error) this won't be an issue, but occurred because the hornguides had to be fitted high in the sub-chassis to avoid them poking out beyond the very open tender frames, causing the axleboxes to ride very low in the guides. All they need is +/-1mm of movement so hornguide position is usually irrelevant as long as they're all square.

Anyhoo, all's well that ends well.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Buckjumper said:
Me too. On tender locos I tend to use split axles on the tenders only and leave the engine itself electrically dead.

Had a funny (not har-de-har) one where under DC the loco ran fine, but with a DCC chip inserted it shorted intermittently. Turned out the brass keeper plate on a couple of guides was barely touching the frame (builder error!) and when the wheels dropped on the non-level track the axleboxes touched the keeper plate and bzzzz. Under DC it didn't bat an eyelid, but in digital had histrionics. Of course normally (and without builder error) this won't be an issue, but occurred because the hornguides had to be fitted high in the sub-chassis to avoid them poking out beyond the very open tender frames, causing the axleboxes to ride very low in the guides. All they need is +/-1mm of movement so hornguide position is usually irrelevant as long as they're all square.

Anyhoo, all's well that ends well.

Adrian,

Hmm - that is a 'funny'. I've not had that happen even with locos like my Bulleid shunter which have the cosmetic leaf springs acting as the keeper plates. The springs are Laurie Griffin castings which are screwed to the frame spacers.  I guess I must position the hornguides lower in the frames than you do.

On tenders I'm now looking at the Slater's 7961 'Insulated square bearings' with CSB and brass 'L' guides - that way they can be made very discrete. These also work well on locos as they can be used with some/many/most detailed hornguides.

Steph

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Steph,

Yes, it was simply because the height of the guides necessary for this tender  - never had it happen before, and not since.  When I come to build another (and there will be another) I know exactly what to do!

I have some of those 7961 bearings, but never got round to experimenting with them. They seem ideal in such a restricted space.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Buckjumper said:
I have some of those 7961 bearings, but never got round to experimenting with them. They seem ideal in such a restricted space.

Adrian,

I've used them more than the 7960 bearings in recent builds, they work rather well: http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/http://localhost/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3 has some shots of my 2251 chassis and the hornblocks/guides in some detail. I've also got an 0-4-0T chassis made up with CSBs here which runs brilliantly - very pleasing.

Steph