Sideline Sanity Project - Miniature Tap Wrench

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Sideline Vanity Sanity Project

Those who joined me for my Gauge O Guild an Evening With Session will have heard me mention YouTuber Joe Pie as someone whom I have learned a lot of techniques and in the past I have made a couple of his shop project tools.

Needing a distraction from my current endeavour (Princess Royal sand pipe details to follow on my Princess thread) which has been quite frustrating I decided to follow this video and make another small tap handle as a way to keep my sanity.

I have previously made one similar to the one that he shows at the start of the video but I made the hole in it a bit big so it’s more suited to larger shanked taps.

As regular viewers of my posts will know I am a great believer in recycling and early this year I bought a job lot of vintage tools from eBay for the princely sum of £7.50 I really bought them for the 3MT-2MT sleeve that was included but there was also a very well made large tap wrench a Moore and wright imperial ruler, a set of sprung external calipers and a couple of 1″ die holders. Of the latter one was very well made and as I have a couple of 1″ dies will come in very useful. The second was a bit battered and had an aluminium casting for the die holder with a couple of 1/2″ steel bars as the handles. This I consigned to the useful bits box and so part of one of the handles became my material for making the miniature tap handle.

53740962228_cab397b6f1_b.jpg

I popped the whole thing in the lathe and being very careful of the large lump in the middle I parted of approx 65mm (just over 2.5″) this allowed a little to tidy each end up bringing it back to a finished size of 62mm or a whisker under 2.5″ .

Then I followed Joe’s steps. I adjusted my hole dimensions to suit an M6 cap head screw so I drilled 5mm for the tapping size, 6.5mm clearance and then 10mm to recess the head of the screw. I drilled until the head was just proud of the end of the handle and then used a 10mm end mill to flatten the bottom of the hole and allow the screw to just sit inside the handle when fully screwed home.

53740764891_0683578a1a_b.jpg

53739840182_faed48001a_b.jpg

53740764981_7dcbef99cb_b.jpg

I drilled a 4mm hole in the centre which will take up to a 4BA tap (It might take bigger but that’s the one that I measured as I mostly use smaller than that). Shown here with a 12 Ba tap inserted.

53740765066_b5ce43028b_b.jpg

Lastly I heated it up and dropped it into some olive oil overnight to give it a nicely blued appearance – Although I had cleaned it with IPA I went back and did a small adjustment from which I didn’t clean the oil inside out again before the heating. Although I couldn’t see it, this must have created a bit of smoke, which set the workshop smoke alarm off. At least I know that it works.

All in all, a couple of hours work to create a pleasing tool that I will use for many years to come.

timbowales

Western Thunderer
Sideline Vanity Sanity Project

Those who joined me for my Gauge O Guild an Evening With Session will have heard me mention YouTuber Joe Pie as someone whom I have learned a lot of techniques and in the past I have made a couple of his shop project tools.

Needing a distraction from my current endeavour (Princess Royal sand pipe details to follow on my Princess thread) which has been quite frustrating I decided to follow this video and make another small tap handle as a way to keep my sanity.

I have previously made one similar to the one that he shows at the start of the video but I made the hole in it a bit big so it’s more suited to larger shanked taps.

As regular viewers of my posts will know I am a great believer in recycling and early this year I bought a job lot of vintage tools from eBay for the princely sum of £7.50 I really bought them for the 3MT-2MT sleeve that was included but there was also a very well made large tap wrench a Moore and wright imperial ruler, a set of sprung external calipers and a couple of 1″ die holders. Of the latter one was very well made and as I have a couple of 1″ dies will come in very useful. The second was a bit battered and had an aluminium casting for the die holder with a couple of 1/2″ steel bars as the handles. This I consigned to the useful bits box and so part of one of the handles became my material for making the miniature tap handle.

View attachment 216620

I popped the whole thing in the lathe and being very careful of the large lump in the middle I parted of approx 65mm (just over 2.5″) this allowed a little to tidy each end up bringing it back to a finished size of 62mm or a whisker under 2.5″ .

Then I followed Joe’s steps. I adjusted my hole dimensions to suit an M6 cap head screw so I drilled 5mm for the tapping size, 6.5mm clearance and then 10mm to recess the head of the screw. I drilled until the head was just proud of the end of the handle and then used a 10mm end mill to flatten the bottom of the hole and allow the screw to just sit inside the handle when fully screwed home.

View attachment 216621

View attachment 216622

View attachment 216623

I drilled a 4mm hole in the centre which will take up to a 4BA tap (It might take bigger but that’s the one that I measured as I mostly use smaller than that). Shown here with a 12 Ba tap inserted.

View attachment 216624

Lastly I heated it up and dropped it into some olive oil overnight to give it a nicely blued appearance – Although I had cleaned it with IPA I went back and did a small adjustment from which I didn’t clean the oil inside out again before the heating. Although I couldn’t see it, this must have created a bit of smoke, which set the workshop smoke alarm off. At least I know that it works.

All in all, a couple of hours work to create a pleasing tool that I will use for many years to come.
Given current prices isn't it a bit extravagant to use olive oil?
Tim T

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Tim T
It might be but we found a bottle in the back of the cupboard that had gone out of date (by a couple of years).

Bits of metal don't care how old it is and it smells so much better when hot than mineral based oils.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I use "1 Cal" olive oil decanted into an empty baked bean tin. I've used this over at least 18 months and, while the oil now resembles well-used motor oil, the smell is bearable during the quenching. This is important when the hobby is going on in the house.

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
I bought a job lot of vintage tools from eBay for the princely sum of £7.50
Thanks Rob, good tip. I put 'tools joblot' in the 'Engineering Tools' category on eBay and it brings up quite a lot. Not so good if you're already doing machining but could save you money if you were just starting out in it. I think I'll leave it as a saved search.