Side Lines LMS Coaches and Haywood GWR Coaches

parky

Western Thunderer
there is me setting the ball rolling again Paul, sorry
I agree once the coach is assembled its interior is not really visible and the spectacle is the rake of coaches and the loco. It might have green in the name but it's ochre base is the predominate colour well it does to my eyes

Last edited:

parky

Western Thunderer
It's good to see some coach building on WT in amongst the excellent loco builds, maybe I should keep my workbench thread up to date

I did do some restoration of a number of MK1's and remember the amount of varnished plywood in them. Even back when the MK1's were built the materials hadn't changed much until they got to the Formica days
So off to Halfords I went with some varnished plywood and Camo Khaki was the best match. Part of my thinking was being able to just spray the whole interior and then hand paint the seats

Not wanting to hijack things but to go with your images a 3rd corridor and a 3rd sleeper
khaki-camo.jpg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The truth is, Dave and Adam, I simply have no room for a rake of Southern coaches! The best excuse for Southern trains in Birmingham was the rare occasions when Southampton FC (Up the Saints!) played a Cup Semi Final at Villa Park. Those BB/WC light pacifics apparently needed piloting by LMS 8Fs into Snow Hill! Was it the 1:45 incline in the tunnel, or were they diverted through Old Hill?

Phil O

Western Thunderer
At least in the 30's there was a through train from Kent coast stations which when all the portions were combined was around 10 coaches long and went through to Shrewsbury, where it split. The train alternated between GW and Southern stock. Loco changes were usually at Oxford.

Mark Tatlow

I spent a long time struggling to get paint that worked for me; in terms of consistency, durability and colour.

Whilst I still use a number of cellulose colours, I am tending to use Craftsmaster Paints which are enamel. They are suppliers to the really big scale toy trains; the ones that model to 12 " to the foot and their paint is a cut above what I have otherwise used in all my categories. My particular problem was crimson lake, I really was not happy with the colour of Phoenix Precision or Railmatch or the normal car body sprays.

The issue is that their stuff comes in tins that are big enough to do an awful lot of 4mm or 7mm models, so they are a bit expensive in comparison to the normal options.

Railway Colours – Craftmaster Paints and they do have brunswick green in the range

The orange peel is as a result of the thinners evaporating before the paint arrives on the model so it does not wet properly. More thinners and/or closer to the model.

simond

Western Thunderer
At least in the 30's there was a through train from Kent coast stations which when all the portions were combined was around 10 coaches long and went through to Shrewsbury, where it split. The train alternated between GW and Southern stock. Loco changes were usually at Oxford.
I believe it had a through coach Margate - Birkenhead. Having grown up in Birkenhead, and now living a few miles from Margate, I still don’t quite know why…

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, I think Brunei’s testimony to the Gauge Commission went something along the lines of “nobody goes through London, they only go to / from London”. Then again, he did have an axe to grind…

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Around 2002 I needed to travel from Gatwick to Birmingham and discovered that Virgin Cross Country (then) had a service from Brighton to way “up north” via New Street. I don’t think it lasted for very long, whereas the Bournemouth service still exists on an hourly schedule.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I believe it had a through coach Margate - Birkenhead. Having grown up in Birkenhead, and now living a few miles from Margate, I still don’t quite know why…

Simon, there was also a Deal portion, I can't remember the other portions and the book is in a box up in the loft, whilst I rebuild the front room.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Five Side Lines coaches ready to be shipped to England. There is a sixth waiting for them there. Eventually they will all return to the Railway Room along with another Porthole. A nice summer rain storm project!

379DD4D5-DC8C-418D-B77D-93067ADB1A84.jpeg

The wooden case is no longer made, the company having retired a few years ago.

simond

Western Thunderer
Parkside Cases are very good.

I had two, and managed to get a couple more, at the last minute, when they closed down.

I have two big enough for 70’ and two 60’.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Edited after internet search:

Parkwood Arts was the company, run by Bill Peters in Petersfield. Last known at Telford Gauge O Guild show in 2017. The company has apparently been liquidated according to a local listing.

As well as 2 six coach boxes I have several loco carrying cases. All superbly made.

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
The various O Gauge boxes and cases were as I understand things, a sideline of the main business which was making cases for scientific use and quite often he would bring 'seconds' of these boxes to Telford etc and Mrs. Ressaldar is the grateful owner of three such boxes - bought as a diversion/cover to my other purchases made elsewhere at the shows.:drool::drool::drool:I have four of their loco boxes and one of the large display cases.

regards

Mike

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Edited after internet search:

Parkwood Arts was the company, run by Bill Peters in Petersfield. Last known at Telford Gauge O Guild show in 2017. The company has apparently been liquidated according to a local listing.

As well as 2 six coach boxes I have several loco carrying cases. All superbly made.
I was close…

thx
Simon

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I have looked up Parkwood Arts at Companies House. They filed a Statement of Affairs in 2018 showing £38,000 of book debts. I will make a guess, a customer for the instrument cases didn't pay . . . how sad.

I bought two of his cases for models, they are superb.