Side Lines LMS Coaches and Haywood GWR Coaches

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Some additional work has been done on the D1999 Open Third coach. The buffers have been fettled (always a long job) and soldered on to the frame. The springing will be done later. The frame has been painted with acid etch primer ready for satin black on the underside and an appropriate colour for the inside.

The seating for the open coaches will then be cut to fit and painted prior to being glued in place. Materials are included for the open coach tables which need to be painted a wood veneer shade.

The photo shows the frame with all the components for the seating laid out.

CEFE3B57-6B99-4A90-A4B4-401F64406ED2.jpeg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
While the seats and tables continue to be prepared for the interior I opened up the bogie kits and laid out the etches, castings and Slaters wheelsets:

9D62EAAD-2FF2-4022-91ED-B5ACC50487FE.jpeg

As mentioned earlier the bogies won’t be compensated. The main frame requires some tricky bending of the etch and this needs to be done in a correct sequence. Careful manipulation is required but the result is a fairly stable frame that really does need some solder to hold it square. I started on the fabrication but forgot to take a photo. I’ll add one tomorrow.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The two bogie frames now folded, showing top and bottom and the required folding.

E35314A0-9DB3-42A9-9A27-77B13F22D393.jpeg

Next dull exercise, fettling the brake blocks! While I think of it, an easily made mistake is to solder the brake blocks on backwards.

A802BB9B-54A8-44AA-B451-ADB6B993D178.jpeg

The castings have a dimple on one side and these must be on the inside of the bogie. The other side should face out.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The brake blocks have been fitted and the wheels with brass bearings and spacers. I put two spacers on each top hat bearing - these are No3 on the etch.

Only then did I fit the strengthener across the middle and also a dab of solder on each corner of the bogie. This is the situation:

From above:

39E55F7B-0328-45F2-A844-8B2C0F614B79.jpeg

And upside down:

CA2D1D5D-5D9D-481A-A435-76F06A291032.jpeg

A good place to stop, next step will be the brake yokes, etc. and my fingers need a break.

On the coach interior the progress was slowed by losing one of the 14 tables. Except I didn’t lose any, I just couldn’t count them correctly! Well, the coach interior end walls have been painted with a wood veneer colour, so when that is dry the seats can go in. After that the tables.

Last edited:
Part way through preparing the seating:

View attachment 171744

The seats are loose and will be painted in third class red before being glued to the walls and floor (which will also be painted). I cut the plastic seating into pieces 2cm wide. The brass end pieces are bonded with Roket Max.
On the D1999 QF's the vestibule sliding doors don't have windows or panels. They are a solid, very solid blockboard veneered door. The tables are also a wooden surround with a leatherette panel. At the SVR, we are working on a replica moquette for our 3 opens based off a partial piece from an LMS obbo chair. The moquette colours are very hard to judge as colour photos seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thank you, Bridgnorth01. The etches for the end doors come with some detail but have been painted a solid “wood” colour. Satin black seems to be a good match for the table top leatherette so I can apply that. I am not too worried about interior colour as I don’t plan to have interior lighting and the seats are Halfords red primer because that is what I have here..

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The most probable reason why those windows are there in the vestibule doors is it is a common underframe for all this manufacturers LMS open coaches. As far as I can tell from available photos, Period I and Period II coaches had these windows, but not Period III Stanier stock. I add the distinction "Stanier" becasue presumably the early period coaches that were rebuilt with Stanier sides retained their interiors just as they did the ends and canvass roofs.

Bogies coming on well. Did you time your self on assembling these....? :D:D:D

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Best not to time anything to do with these coaches! But I do try to keep several tasks on the go at the same time. These bogies just completed actually came out well and I learned a few techniques along the way to speed things up. Not sure how many more coaches I want to build!

Now that there are some nice RTR coaches out there I have wondered if some bogies might become available to scratch builders.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Acid primer on the bogies, satin black finish tomorrow. Coach interior done, top of tables now black, the tables now sitting on blocks of balsa for stability. Just the coach ends to fit with rails, water pipes and electrical connections.

Photos later.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Acid primer on the bogies, satin black finish tomorrow. Coach interior done, top of tables now black, the tables now sitting on blocks of balsa for stability. Just the coach ends to fit with rails, water pipes and electrical connections.

Photos later.

Hello Paul,

you can get black acid etch primer, saves on coats of paint.

Nice looking bogies.

OzzyO.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Ah yes, but here I use what is to hand! The cost of driving to the nearest Feu Vert in Rivesaltes doubles the price of the can!

Thanks, Paul