Prototype Shades of the Southern: Trains no more

AJC

Western Thunderer
At my local station, the footbridge is getting a bit of TLC, part of ongoing improvement work on the Hastings line. The main project is repainting the footbridge so far as I can see and since stage one is high pressure jetting to remove existing paint I took a couple of reference snaps. Network Southeast is all too visible:

A61A836A-1A97-4F7A-8F08-04D20E449AD5.jpeg

But there’s a fair amount of Southern green, too:

3D701287-AE02-4E7D-9365-DA504F0BFF1D.jpeg

I would like my bike shed back though!

7FA8CEAE-B261-4099-AB6E-1A41996A1BF9.jpeg

Bit of primer and some helpful stick-on tactile surfaces along the platform but still no access for the less than fit (or wheel reliant like my toddler) to the Down platform: it did exist once - the gate and associated path are clearly visible on the ground.

Adam

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Back again this morning and spotted both the Exmouth Junction concrete bridge number marker (with what looks like the original style of script) and two shades of green. The brighter is, presumably, the Southern, the duller, BR(S)?

3A3DB5D4-8890-4757-89E1-3CDCC5C7D299.jpeg

From the photo it appears to be difficult to tell - on closer inspection does the dark green overlay the lighter green or vice versa? Which I think would be the main clue.

My educated guess would be the lighter green is BR as it would have been exposed to the elements for a longer period of time as the SR may well have had a regular infrastructure maintenance programme.

And back again on the way to the office. Bare metal and the original red oxide/lead primer is now exposed. I don’t know what colour the SER painted their structures but if anyone does and can pinpoint the layer, shout!

D24D0AD3-A5F6-4BC5-941B-02CC208C7746.jpeg

This would be hard to say unless a SER or SECR painting specification exists.

However, I don't think it was uncommon for the line's contractors to paint buildings and structures in their own rather than the railway's style as this may have been part of the contract. Given the SER and LC&DR were at loggerheads for most of their existance would they have had funds to create a 'house' style for buildings and infrastructure?

It's all interesting modern archaeology which is an area often neglected in my view. When Network Rail revamped Leeds concourse 3 years ago remants of the orange 1960s wall tiles were revealed.

I also notice there is a 27 milepost under the bridge steps in the third photo of the first post!

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave - on the ground it was very clear that the darker, bluer, green was on top of the lighter (and that was the basis of my suggestion).

It's 27 miles to the stops at Charing Cross, I think (which will provide the location) and the station is pure SER in origin, though without the signal box (or sidings) that were there once. I imagine that by the 1860s when this station was built they'd have a standard scheme for structures, and certainly by SECR days: if they could manage it for locos and stock, why not wood and metal work on fixed structures? Even if the painting cycle was quite long. I guess that the supplier of the bridge would have sent it out in red primer for painting by the customer.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
SE&CR building colours. Closest probably Indian Red and LMS Building cream (buff).
66989652-AABC-46D3-B244-4E6EEB8C6B9C.jpeg

Thanks for the steer, Larry. I reckon, without too much reliance on the eye of faith, around the centre of the rubbing back to bare metal, you may just see traces of ‘Indian Red’. It’s great to see that the effort is being made - for the first time in the structure’s history - to give the bridge a full repaint rather than just slapping yet another coat on. Most of the bridge is now sporting grey primer.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
The - nearly - finished article. It doesn’t really go with SE Railway mauve, nor is it a historical scheme, but it does mean the bridge remains in good order.

3545DE35-D00D-4FC3-9E0E-6EC5345E909E.jpeg

In a different way, so does the RHTT (LED lights don’t cooperate with the the phone camera!).

70E79C05-1709-473B-8352-A00FC81491DB.jpeg

But the 0935 is late again. Usually is…

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
More Southern green at Hildenborough, if you know where to look. In this case, hiding next to the Gents.

15D7D645-B9C0-4646-A6E1-8258DA381557.jpeg

Not quite sure what brought the sack truck here, but it’s a good 25 miles from its home (the visible lettering says 'Waterl...' whenever Rail Blue was slapped on over the green:

B9D3CC96-A0C1-4E05-81D7-ACADD34063E2.jpeg

Meanwhile, in the car park (I’ll not be locking the bike up there, since you ask):

00DEA363-38A9-4F4C-B374-9C75A2BDF5DF.jpeg

Adam

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The concrete Southern bridge plate is interesting (well it is to me anyway :)) ).
Bearing in mind Southern ways are unknown to me, would these by any chance be pre-concrete-era Southern (or constituent?) bridge plates?

BP.JPG

AJC

Western Thunderer
The concrete Southern bridge plate is interesting (well it is to me anyway :)) ).
Bearing in mind Southern ways are unknown to me, would these by any chance be pre-concrete-era Southern (or constituent?) bridge plates?

View attachment 184105

Not sure about the smaller one, but the larger looks like a mile marker plate (compare to the 27 under the footbridge at Hildenborough). Someone will know, I'm sure.

Adam

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer

Does the bell push in the top right of the photo summon refreshments? :)

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam, I hadn't thought of that and it would explain the two digit numbers (have 4 in all that came with other plates having a Southern flavour).

AJC

Western Thunderer
You would of thought they would have sited the cycle rack next to the station building or on the platform for additional security.

I'd settle for not being on a corner that is entirely blind coming down the hill, Dave. South Eastern have been... appraised... of what we local cyclists think of the idea and are - urgently - thinking again.

Adam