Prototype Shades of the Southern: Clan Line

AJC

Western Thunderer
Sorry to be a bit slow, are 73s still in service today?

Tim

Oh yes, GBRF have a fleet of them based here in Tonbridge and (I think) at Eastleigh. They run monitoring trains for Network Rail, de-icing trains and some of the rail head treatment trains, that sort of thing. I see them moving about most weeks. I think Network Rail have some of their own, too.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
Don't forget the ones up in Scotland as well.

I wasn't certain they were still in service - or contained that much of the original locos! - Do they still have shoe gear or did all the third rail kit get stripped out?

Adam

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Sorry to be a bit slow, are 73s still in service today?

Tim
Indeed they are and in roles that were never envisioned - like working the Caledonian Sleeper services in Scotland.

Oh - other posts came along to answer your question. IMHO the ones on the CS look very smart indeed.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Southern proper(ish): Clan Line, fresh from overhaul and looking splendid - and running like a sewing machine.

Clan_Line_001.jpg

Clan_Line_002.jpg

The four-year-old was very impressed. Thinking about it, when I was in single figures I had a picture of 35028 on my wall, so I must have been, too when I first saw her in 1986 or thereabouts.

Adam

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
At least it has the correct headcode for Victoria to Folkestone or Dover via the Orpington Loop, Tonbridge and Ashford.

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
At least it has the correct headcode for Victoria to Folkestone or Dover via the Orpington Loop, Tonbridge and Ashford.

Is that the same for the return via Redhill (which is where it was going - there were too many people at the platform end to get the going away shot with the feather in frame). Just grateful that the ECS working to T’ Wells cleared the platform!

Adam

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It would be the same headcode for London Bridge, Charing Cross, Blackfriars or Cannon Street and Tonbridge or Reading via East Croydon and Redhill. Not Dover or Folkestone to Victoria via Redhill.

On reflection though I think they use the discs today in the standard BR express passenger position. I noticed the same headcode in @Richard Gawler 's post of the Britannia at Hatfield Peverel in the Love Lane thread. However, I think the Great Eastern also used headcode discs for train type and route.

Reactions: AJC