Scalefour Society Jubilee Diorama Project

DavidB

Western Thunderer
That inspiring Sheep Farm in Wales has pre-empted my post here, and I thank Rob for his wonderful modelling.

The Scalefour Society will be celebrating it's 50th Anniversary in 2026. It already has a layout challenge running, but layouts are not for everyone for many reasons. We very much want more modellers to be involved in the Jubilee so have today launched a Diorama Project which we hope will interest more people, get them away from the comfort of their armchairs and sitting at the modelling bench.

The 'rules' are really guidlines, deliberately loose so as not to tie people down. The only requirements are a length of P4 track and it must be transportable by one person. Ideally we would like to see at least one piece of P4 stock and suggest a maximum size of 3' x 18" unless you are metric, in which case it will be slightly larger at 1m x 0.5m, but still carried by one person.

The diorama does not have to work, be electrified or have animation, but it can if you wish. We chose a diorama as it will be smaller, cheaper and quicker to make than a full-blown layout and for people with smaller establishments and budgets, hope this will have an appeal.

Anyone may 'enter' and there is no entry fee. One does not have to be a member of the Scalefour Society although membership does bring benefits including access to the very good Stores department and being able to post in your own area on the Forum, unless, of course, you work with an existing Society member. You can make the diorama solo or with friends, the use of professionals being discouraged. Ultimately, we hope people will bring their dioramas (you can make as many as you like) to exhibit at shows. There are no prizes as this is not a competition but a modelling project.

The full details, entry form, 'rules' and questions are on the Scalefour website here: Jubilee Diorama Project - Scalefour Forum

Attachments

• Article_JubileeDioramaProject final.pdf
    494.3 KB · Views: 28

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Interesting that a 00 layout using RTR stock (all be it very well indeed) has prompted a competition which requires a length of P4 track and preferably one item of P4 stock. :))

DavidB

Western Thunderer
It's not so much the scale as the quality of modelling.

Be fair as well. Other examples in the article are all (bar one) P4 and that one is Scale7.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Yes, Jim. Thank you for this. A diorama does not have to be big or complex. It could be part of a larger layout or something to display models like this.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Yes, Jim. Thank you for this. A diorama does not have to be big or complex. It could be part of a larger layout or something to display models like this.
Good Morning DavidB

Like many other WT-ers, I’m quite sure, I’d be delighted to learn how the ‘Project’ is going, so was wondering whether, at this early juncture, you’d be willing to enlighten us as to developments, please?

Photos of the works of any entrants (or perhaps links you’d be willing to share) would be a bonus.

Submitted in keen anticipation.

jonte

DavidB

Western Thunderer
'Morning Jonte.

As expected, there has not been a rush of entries yet but plenty of interest when I see people. I hope the talk will be turned in to practice later in the year when the nights close in. Dioramas being less complex and time consuming than layouts, they will be ideally suited to the autumn and winter months.

Modellers are encouraged to post about their projects on the Scalefour Forum, so you can follow them there rather than me re-posting everything here. It would be nice if anyone entering and a WT member would post here as well.

jonte

Western Thunderer
'Morning Jonte.

As expected, there has not been a rush of entries yet but plenty of interest when I see people. I hope the talk will be turned in to practice later in the year when the nights close in. Dioramas being less complex and time consuming than layouts, they will be ideally suited to the autumn and winter months.

Modellers are encouraged to post about their projects on the Scalefour Forum, so you can follow them there rather than me re-posting everything here. It would be nice if anyone entering and a WT member would post here as well.
Many thanks.

jonte