Sandy's isolation thread

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
'The Lady Armaghdale'. Hunslet 0-6-0T from the Agenoria stable. Nice kit to build but I didn't like the brass. For some reason it was difficult to solder. The kit has a few issues but nothing that can't be overcome and goes together quite well. She has been built and will be finished in 'as preserved' condition.

DSCN4412.JPG

DSCN4417.JPG

Sandy

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
'The Lady Armaghdale'. Hunslet 0-6-0T from the Agenoria stable. Nice kit to build but I didn't like the brass. For some reason it was difficult to solder. The kit has a few issues but nothing that can't be overcome and goes together quite well. She has been built and will be finished in 'as preserved' condition.

View attachment 131271

View attachment 131272

Sandy

Sandy,

Pretty little loco.

As a wee bit of a change from scratchbuilding I have been building the Dalmellington Iron Co Markham from the Agenoria kit. I too am finding the brass a bit 'difficult'. Not sure what the problem is but the brass feels a bit greasy to the touch despite cleaning with abrasive and chemically with viakal. Despite that the kit goes together well.

Ian.

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
That's exactly what I found Ian. The solder flowed eventually but usually after a second application of flux and more heat.
Sandy

Last edited:

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
The Hunslet has gone into the paint shop, the news from there is not good! The brand new tin of Humbrol Satin red was the consistency of porridge and no amount of mechanical or manual stirring would smooth it out. A second tin, bought at the same time, was exactly the same. Grrrr! Need to source some alternatives.
Etches for another couple of projects have arrived and I just had to dive in and do a test build. Cracking, everything fitted just as designed for the cattle van but the tender for the Glenbarry had a fatal flaw that needs a serious drawing revision. John is on the case.
Next job is the masters for the castings.

DSCN4419.JPG

Sandy