Full Size Rio Grande K28's

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
K28 book cover.jpg

I was advised today that this is due to be published in late March, it will be imported by Camden Miniature Steam and cost the thick end of £70. I have the authors volume in the K36's which is very nice but also pretty expensive. Whether it's worth whats being asked is a big question but if your into this sort of thing, got to be worth considering. It would be worth advising Camden if your interested as I doubt there will be more than one chance to purchase.
Regards
Martin

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Any drawings or detailed shots of engines under repair/restoration, I'm still trying to find decent digital drawings for either 28, 36, 37.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Mick
Probably not exactly what your after, a lot of pics from building to the present day and quite a lot of info about useage and modifications. I would suggest in a non dismissive way that it's a typical USA locomotive book where I think the enthusiast population is even less interested than here in the UK about the technical side of railway engineering. Wht it does have is a threefold pull out which has on each side a side elevation and a lot of cross sectional elevations which are pretty good and have the benefit of being drawn at 1:48 scale. I have attached a small section so as not to blow copyright out of the water. I am assuming that since it's the same author the K28 book will be to the same basic style and contents
Regards
Martin
IMG_1840 (2).JPG

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Martin,

Much appreciated, I know the sort of book you mean, pretty typical of the US scene, but you get what ever you can get these days.

You're right on the drawings, but they are a good start to get an overall feel of the engine and models.

MD

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Does the USA not have archives where such drawings may have survived and be accessible, in the same way as our various museum resources?

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Mick
Probably not exactly what your after, a lot of pics from building to the present day and quite a lot of info about useage and modifications. I would suggest in a non dismissive way that it's a typical USA locomotive book where I think the enthusiast population is even less interested than here in the UK about the technical side of railway engineering. Wht it does have is a threefold pull out which has on each side a side elevation and a lot of cross sectional elevations which are pretty good and have the benefit of being drawn at 1:48 scale. I have attached a small section so as not to blow copyright out of the water. I am assuming that since it's the same author the K28 book will be to the same basic style and contents
Regards
Martin
View attachment 179043
I was hoping not to need one of the K36 books but that drawing would be awfully helpful..

JB.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Does the USA not have archives where such drawings may have survived and be accessible, in the same way as our various museum resources?
Tony,
There's nothing centralized here, it's really hit or miss as to whether drawings were preserved at all and who ended up with them. A lot of it depends on the content, a lot depends on which railroad owned the prototype equipment, a lot depends on dumb luck for somebody to be in the right place at the right time to keep decades of history from simply going in the skip.

That being said, I suspect that drawings for these narrow gauge locos are out there somewhere. I'd obviously start with Colorado organizations like the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, the Denver Library, the Durango & Silverton and Cumbres & Toltec scenic railroads, those sorts of things. The prototypes are still in operation, at least the k36's are if I understand correctly. They might be k37's, narrow gauge is not my specialty. And very nice models of the various prototypes have been produced over the years. Somebody, somewhere, has these drawings.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Some drawings of D&RGW 2-8-2s have been published in US model railroad magazines:

K27 - Model Railroader June 1973, part 2 of an article which covered the modern versions of these locos with 0 scale drawings; Part 1 was in the March 1973 issue and covered the early versions, possibly with drawings although I haven't seen that issue.

K37 - Model Railroader October 1979 included drawings to S scale
Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette July/August 1997 included drawings of these locos, then the following 3 issues included more detail drawings - Sept/Oct 1997; Nov/Dec 1997 and Jan/Feb 1998.

I don't know whether drawings of the K28 and K36 locos have been published in any of the model railroad magazines but a possible source would be the builders works drawing if they exist and are available - Alco for the K28s and Baldwin for the K36s.

I suppose a lot depends on what you want the drawings for - building or modifying a model or just idle curiosity ?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
There's a large collection of drawings here.not cheap and probably more than most modelers need, but they are works drawings, paper and very very big. They cover both the K36 and K37.

I nearly bought a set before Xmas as well as some SP stuff, I'd prefer them digitized to be honest, paper requires a lot of space to roll out and keep out whilst your working with them in etch or 3D CAD. You can of course cherry pick and mix individual drawings, you don't have to have the full package.

I've never ordered from here so no idea what the service is like.

I have a similar set for the C&O 2-6-6-6 and the main erecting drawing is close to eight feet long.

N&W Historical Society, mentioned here as evidence that societies do have drawings if you can find them, has an awful lot of drawings which can be purchased as digital copies, the service is good and the quality of drawings excellent (if the originals were excellent as well). Typically you'll get a mail in two or three days with you download links.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
I have been advised that the K28 book will be arriving at Camden next week. It is somewhat later and more expensive (£74.75) than expected and will shortly be available for public ordering on their website if your interested in such things.
Regards
Martin

PS. Edited to correct price

Last edited: