Red-carded kits due on WB shortly, just over a week from now.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
At the Guildford Show I bought some pristine kits from the estate of the late Raymond Walley - pristine in the sense that the kits were complete and not started. However, Raymond had bought his WEP Models kits in bulk and so there are no instructions included in the packaging hence the attribute of "red-carded".

What I have bought are WEP kits for the GWR 3-plank wagon, a prototype from the Victorian era.

Has anyone got instructions for the kit and can scan them? I am aware that the GOG has hosted the construction articles that were written by Raymond and posted to his web site.... I wish to have a copy of the instructions for the "non-build" details that are provided by WEP.

thank you, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
In the background, Dave sent copies of instructions through the WT-PM facility - thank you Dave.

Much to my surprise five minutes after Dave's instruction copies arrived another WTer sent the required information to my e-mail inbox. The identity of the second responder is known to me, I am not at liberty to thank that person publically so if that person sees this post then thank you.

Yet again WTers rise to a challenge and provide answers/responses to my questions/requests. Thanks to all.

regards, Graham

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
What you are saying is that it went to VAR, who over-turned the red card and awarded a yellow instead.

We look forward to seeing your progress with these.

John

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Sorry to say that the wagons are still red-carded as attention is required to the suspension and brake blocks. More to the point, one of the kits has made a break for freedom and changed domicile, temporarily, to Chris Brown's house.

Chris (@ChrisBr ) and I model in 7mm using S7 track standards and both of us prefer active suspension to compensation - please, no discussion of the relative merits or otherwise, our preference is our choice and we have no desire to pressure others to follow our adventures.

We are likely to co-operate on an etched replacement underframe that ought to be usable for all of the WEP "Victorian" wagon designs (aka, one, two, three and four plank). Ideally the replacement shall offer individual springing to each axlebox, brake hangers and push rods for 3D printed brake blocks, 3D printed springs... At the moment I do not know how we shall approach the brake tumbler shaft; whilst this can be a 3D print previous experience says that such a move is likely to produce a fragile component, more likely we shall use a 3D master to produce lost wax brass items.

regards, Graham

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
The reference to a red card made me think more along railway lines (no pun intended) and 'Not to Go' labels on cripples rather than football. But as a retired driver then railways are ever present in my way of thinking. :)

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
As a MR circa 1906 period modeller also modelling in 7mm to S7 standards with a preference for active suspension I’ve also looked at etched replacement underframes for "Victorian" period GW wagon designs recently. Looking at the various kits available (plastic and etched) to fill my limited GW need I thought underframes and everything below there could well be improved and it may be something I could tackle – having no experience of U channel before now and a limited knowledge of GW wagon construction methods. My last sheet of etching included a test etch for a single separate U channel headstock and a solebar with dimples for pressing rivets etc., just to see what work my idea might involve and decide is it what I want to do. Whilst it needs tweaking, but generally pleased with my effort, my Christmas project is to draw up a list of wagon drawings I need to consult at the NRM in the New Year so as to take the etching idea to the next stage. I am wary though, am I biting off more than I can chew.

So I’ll be interested in hearing how your project progresses.

Cheers

Tony