Re: Easybuild 105

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Easybuild 105

I love the look of catswhiskers on DMU's :thumbs:, fortunately mine wil be blue a yeller :)) :))
[/quote]

Another convert

B

boxbrownie

Easybuild 105

I love the colour, I reckon you got that absolutely spot on for green......shame its not blue though  ;)

The resultant semi matt finish is perfect too.  I started gathering material for my custom power bogie for my EB 108 yesterday, got some brass and wheels but cannot access ABC gears website at the moment, not sure if its a permanent problem there or a hic-cup on the server?  I was considering the Slaters gearbox and motor as I saw one at Telford and was immediately impressed with the quality but it is only available in 18:1 with a Mashima which I consider a bit high geared for a DMU whose owner enjoys crawling out of stations!  I was thinking more along the lines (no pun intended) of at least 25:1 or more with maybe a 7 pole motor.

28ten

Guv'nor
Easybuild 105

The ABC gearbox is very good, I cant comment on the Slaters as I have never used one. I dont think it really needs a Maxon, it is a bit of overkill and the CV's need tweaking to make the most of it.
The bogie is dead easy to cut out, but make sure you get CZ121 as it cuts really easily and it is flat  :))
The ABC site seems to be back on line this morning.

B

boxbrownie

Easybuild 105

I must admit I have never used Maxon but just read how many others have, I usually use Canon as these are very similar to the Mashima but I think of better quality.
As to ABC gears site......this one? http://www.abcgears.co.uk/

I have been waiting for it to load all morning  :'(

28ten

Guv'nor
Easybuild 105

boxbrownie said:
I must admit I have never used Maxon but just read how many others have, I usually use Canon as these are very similar to the Mashima but I think of better quality.
As to ABC gears site......this one? http://www.abcgears.co.uk/

I have been waiting for it to load all morning  :'(
It just loaded for me  :scratch: Steph is the man for motors (!) and he seems to think the Canon is up to the job, and lets be honest a motor bogie with delrin drive to the second axle is overkill for the unit.
I do have some spare etches if you want to do something to the reporting code and as soon as I get to the suppliers ill have some lasered cab windows

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Easybuild 105

28ten said:
It just loaded for me  :scratch: Steph is the man for motors (!) and he seems to think the Canon is up to the job, and lets be honest a motor bogie with delrin drive to the second axle is overkill for the unit.

'Ello, eh what yes?  Sorry, yes!  Generally the Canon is good enough, but I prefer a higher ratio than ABC usually recommend to get the slow speed smoothness I want.  Don't get me wrong: I do use coreless motors (mostly Escap motors with ABC gearboxes), but only for special jobs.  For example they're useful in really big locos as they're more efficient (less current) than normal motors.

Two driven axles would be the minimum on any model though (so go with the Delrin chain drive), just in case one wheel slips or over pointwork etc...

Steph

B

boxbrownie

Easybuild 105

Well I have been frustrated by not being able to access ABC Gears site for the past two days, and that includes trying my neighbours laptop this afternoon, seems others can see it but not here!

Oh well, just ordered the Slaters DR 30:1 gearbox and motor (mashima  ::) ) and a load of other bits, axles, bearings etc.

I was very impressed with the slaters boxes at Telford, so I'll give it a go.