Full Size Rails Toward the Sky: The Story of Driving Creek Railway

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Hello
For those that know, I have a deep-seated love for New Zealand, its people, and (last but by no means least) it’s railways.

Amongst this last category, and echoing the ingenuity and plain old dogged determination of the early logging railways, strides a modern giant - Barry Brickell.

Barry was a potter, an artist, a conservationist, and a self-confessed railway fan. This book sets about describing how he - and his friends - set about building a railway up into the Coromandel hills to bring clay and firewood down from to his kilns. And how the railway grew and grew, to become a major tourist attraction. And one that I was very lucky to experience in 2017.

Barry passed in 2016, at the age of 80. This book serves as a fine reminder of the man, his talents and skills, and the positive ripples that can come from an individual’s ingenuity, passion, and drive.

Written in a very chatty style by the man himself, with plenty of photos and hand drawn maps, this wonderfully presented book is a great tonic, and something that will bring me warmth as the winter dark deepens.
CBE7A6CE-1779-49D3-B70E-0E26C6AC5041.jpeg

804F1AE0-93DE-4A97-BA8D-73264171646E.jpeg
B8D70754-9CBA-41A8-ADC7-E1E32337884F.jpeg
Cheers
Jan