HO Eine Sekundärbahn

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer

garden1a.jpg
Original

20240319b.jpg
Updated

The small garden is part of the farmhouse, the original was at least 14 years old and used on at least two previous layouts. It has been extended to include the base for the farmhouse and the long grass was looking rather threadbare. There is some further work needed, the washing line will be given some clothes and the entire scene will be weathered.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Today, is normally the start of the intense gardening season, it is perfect weather for pottering about and I am just waiting for a 60L bag of peat-free to pitch up.

In the shed, it is a similar story, not too hot/cold and the two gardens on P’dorf are coming along nicely with lots of new fences, meanwhile an image of a small German garden might be useful rather than the uninspiring dull pictures from Busch and Noch etc. German gardens tend to be either naturalistic or rigidly ordered, two sides of the same coin, guess which I prefer……Tim

IMG_1033.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Elsewhere, I have shared some inevitable news, no more being allowed to exhibit without the carer (who won't consider attending shows) and so the 'therapy' scrapyard project that helped me cope with the recovery after major heart surgery has served its purpose but needs a new home once it is complete.

Instead, I will simply continue with P'dorf, it may be modular but it isn't going anywhere with me, so it can can simply reside in the shed whilst I continue to enjoy life making and adding stuff to it.

Below is the farmhouse, it is the latest small vignette that occupies my time, although a background feature, it will be fully detailed, if only as an obsession with farms.

20240402a.jpg

As an incomplete example of the obsession, this is a corner of the wall and fence that surrounds the farmhouse, although the joint is not visible from normal viewing, it will be disguised with some moss.

20240402c_corner_left.jpg

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Due to its insignificant size, Pottendorf relies on vignettes to draw in the viewer, here a few ladies await the train to the local market. Please note that the Preiser container is merely to protect the group, they will be amongst the last of the smaller details to be placed once the heavy stuff is finished.

IMG_1683_800.jpg

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
IMG_1687.jpg

buddleia_bush.jpg

Buddleia - the butterfly bush

Known as the butterfly bush, the fragrant flowers of buddleja are a favourite nectar source for butterflies. These undemanding, mainly deciduous shrubs, find a place in every garden with their spectacular displays of blooms and honey scent.

Tim

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer

These delightful plants were often seen along the line-side in the UK . I recall some fine specimens growing from the ballast in the disused bay on the down side of Rugby Midland station. This was in the period of track remodelling when these bays were taken out of use and track altered or lifted. It was all well before the final extensive re-working of the entire station in to the current arrangement.

Roger.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Buddleia seems to like growing out of the masonry alongside our railways. It's particularly rampant on the lines into Glasgow Central. It may be good for butterflies but it cannot be doing the stonework any good!

Ian.

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Buddleia‘s are certainly a beautiful shrub but are one of the most destructive plants around, they are banned in some places and are regarded as a noxious weed as they will crack, move and lift foundations of masonry they should be grown in a clear area not near any construction and their seed spread and grow in almost any place they land, however they do attract butterflies which is nice to see. Our local council have planted a dwarf variety in our town they look exactly like the normal size ones but in miniature which apparently are building friendly.
David.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Progress

The wobbly backscene is finally in place and de-wobbled, just as important, the mousehole is finished

20231227e.jpg

20240412a.jpg

20240412b.jpg

Rather than using the 'Copy image link' function, I am using the 'Copy link' function, these options are only available on my Dell laptop whilst most, if not all updates were done using a latest generation iPad which only offers 'Copy link'

Not sure how to reduce their vast size but I will leave them in place for a couple of days.

Tomorrow, some scenic mats, from Lars op't Hof, are due to pitch up. These are a try-out and will be used alongside the homemade basket liner mats, the target is to complete the 'greening' of Pottendorf before May.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Nothing much has happened in last couple of weeks, apart from a trip to the cardiology unit thanks to Covid (first time) and an enforced bit of ‘recliner’ rest. However, things have progressed, whilst waiting to get on with covering everything in grass, some attention was paid to the three vegetable gardens on P’dorf and I tend to model what is visible outside the shed door. The station veg patch now has a potting shed and an armchair as befits the status of the station keeper.

20240424Allot2.jpg
The rather flimsy fences around the patch are currently waiting for the glue to dry before they can be painted and weathered, there is a search underway for more gardening apparatus, it is somewhere ‘safe’ just unknown at present. The actual earthen patch is a separate entity so that the delicate task of creating the nature’s bounty can be done at the bench rather than leaning across the layout. The buddleia plant, that upset some readers, was made many years ago and carefully curated for this last layout, it will be tucked in the corner of the garden, if only to hide the b. awful fencing.

Putting together the Model Scene laser-cut wooden sheds has been a joy, it kept me indoors and their quality compared with shoddy home-grown products was a revelation. They seem to multiply however, it is utterly typical of rural life where necessity triumphs over neatness.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
First time allowed back into the shed, celebrating by getting on with some real activity.

The tatty fence is in place around the allotment, another few hours before the PVA is set only then can the fence be painted or not, as necessary. The furrowed earth inset has developed a slight curve and it is being pressed flat. The gate in the fence is hidden behind the shed, the wayward fence line is appropriate.

20240425_Allot1.jpg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
A journey from here to there
In order to be a modeller of railways there needs to be a model railway. It doesn't matter if it is a loft or an Ikea box, there has to be a railway, otherwise we are mere collectors of things in boxes.

Occasionally, a thought begins to become a concern, why build a model railway and why choose a particular subject? My obsession, for it is an obsession, is to create something that pleases the eye and restores old memories of quiet rural railways of Southern Germany.

I greatly admire those individuals who devout a lifetime to build a perfect representation of a actual location, set at a specific time/date. Their dedication is admirable but there are constraints, as they can utilise space and have access to information, neither of which I enjoy. By contrast, my world is one of limited to just 5m x 1m and limited information from both the internet and the few books that feature my chosen subject.

My project is based upon a notion that a modest rural line in Fränkische Schweiz had been extended a few more kilometres before funding was finally exhausted and the planned wayside station became a terminus for the remainder of its short life.

The generic trackplan is simple, the only extravagance is a tiny wooden loco shed with fuel+water and the style of the station buildings is typical of the builder.

Various features (LDEs) from around the location are recycled, all chosen for their similarity to other local features. Colours are carefully chosen from a palette used in the location, mostly natural, a mix of greens + earth, subtle rather than brash.

The stock was carefully selected with help from local experts, everything must have been used on rural lines within 25kms during the timeframe 1950-68 except for the one steam loco that hauled the last train that I will ever ride on the beloved DFS.

20240421_Shed.jpg