4mm Portwilliam and Newton Stewart - Southwest Scotland in OO

stuartp

Portwilliam is a pastiche of the Wigtownshire Railway's branch from Newton Stewart to Whithorn in southwest Scotland. I originally built it 30 years ago to fit on a 6' x 1' shelf on my teenage bedroom wall. Since then it's been extended, altered, stored for long periods, altered again and is currently being refurbished with a view to getting it finished by the end of 2013.

Track is Peco code 100 (it was all there was at the time), there is a plan to replace this with something a little more to scale but it's a long way down the list of priorities. First priority is to keep it operational otherwise I'll still be messing about with it in my dotage !

The Real Whithorn Branch.

The Wigtownshire Railway opened in 1875 from Newton Stewart to a field some distance from Garlieston, a harbour on the Wigtownshire coast, eventually reaching Whithorn in 1877 after the local gentry had a whip round. At Newton Stewart the branch joined the Portpatrick Railway (the 'Port Road'), part of a cross country link between Carlisle, Dumfries and Stranraer. A short horse tramway from Millisle (as the station in the field had become) linked the branch with Garlieston harbour, being worked by locomotives from the opening in direct contravention of the authorising Act of Parliament. The company was unable to reach a working agreement with either the Caledonian or Glasgow and South Western Railways (both of whom recognised a pig in a poke when they saw one), so took up an offer from Thomas Wheatley, late of the North British Railway, to work the line as a private contractor. Wheatley worked the line until his death in 1883 using a ramshackle collection of second hand rolling stock and operating on a shoestring. His son took over the lease until 1885 when the Portpatrick Railway and Wigtownshire Railways were amalgamated. The Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railways became what Derek Cross described as the 'jointest of all joint lines', owned by the MR, LNWR, CR and G&SWR and operated by the two Scottish partners.

Over the years extensions were proposed to the harbour at Isle of Whithorn, and to Port William (or Portwilliam, depending which version of the OS map you're looking at), another harbour. Neither proposal came to anything.

The line closed to passengers in 1950, and to goods in 1964. The Port Road followed in 1965.

Fiction.

The model assumes that the extension to Port William was built, and that passenger services survived into the 60s. The period modelled is mid 50s to mid 60s, although rather more stock exists for the later years of that period at the moment. A harbour branch provides an excuse to run additional traffic, some based on real Whithorn branch traffic and some borrowed from elsewhere on the PP&WJR (or just made up). The passenger service is largely based on elements of the Dalmellington and Kirkcudbright branches, both of which remained open to passengers into the 60s.

Enough blether. Photos:

IMG_0822.JPG 76112 of Stranraer shed arrives with the first service of the morning from Newton Stewart. The loco is Bachmann renumbered, coaches are by Comet. The signals are just placeholders for now until I build some G&SWR lattice posts. The box is based on Crossmichael on the Portpatrick Railway.

IMG_0824.JPG Two thirds of the layout is visible in this shot. The water tank is based on that at Sorbie.

IMG_0826.JPG 76112 has run round, the fireman desperately hoping that the last shovelful of coal will last the 26 miles home ! Provender store is Ratio (there was one at Whauphill), station building from Millisle and the goods shed from Creetown. The rather battered monkey puzzle tree is 30 years old now, there were two at Wigtown station.

IMG_0827.JPG The harbour branch connects the cliff top station with the shore by means of a very steep drop behind the cottages on South Street, where it connects with the enigmatic and inaccurately named Hawkshawe Estate Tramway. The HET was built largely for the amusement of its reclusive owner but also provided some employment opportunities between the wars by linking a couple of quarries and forestry operations around Monreith Bay and Glasserton with the big railway. Its major source of traffic now is the Glenn-Campbell shortbread factory, a post-war development just south of Portwilliam. Whatever obscure motive power they've borrowed is clearly playing up as they've had to hire Dumfries's brand new 350 to push a couple of pallet vans of shortbread up the hill to the station.

IMG_0829.JPG D3928 swaps the shortbread vans for a couple of wagons in the exchange siding before trundling back down to the harbour to finish another leisurely shift.

More later.

stuartp

IMG_0838.JPG
The backscene might be bare plywood, the loco isn't weathered and the acres of nothingness in the goods yard indicates how much scenic work I've still got to do, but at least this is a prototypical formation. Derek Cross photographed this ensemble at Whauphill in 1963 - Stranraer's wee Ivatt, 46467, a recent transfer from Cambridge. The second vehicle is Pooley's weighing machine tool van doing it's annual tour of the weighbridges.

IMG_0839.JPG
Having rounded up the shortbread vans and the empty minerals, 46467 leaves a couple of wagons in the mileage siding ...

IMG_0841.JPG ... before dropping the weighbridge van and a van of something or other for the Tramway Company. The weighbridge van is an ex-G&SWR full brake built from a G&SWRA kit. Transfers are homemade from inkjet paper and it's beginning to show.

IMG_0842.JPG
46467 departs. Epic fail on the depth of field, sorry, but at least the water tower is in focus. The thing above and behind it is a display cabinet, that and a bookshelf limit the height of the backscene to 8" at the moment. The whole set up is a bit cramped, you can see in the first pic of these four that the study door handle has had to be removed so I can squeeze past to get in !

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
"Acres of nothingness" is good!! Getting a spacious look on a small layout can be difficult - 'less is more' is a good philosophy to follow - albeit a difficult one to stick to, as it's all too easy to think we need to fill all the space we have to stop a layout from being 'boring'....
See Morfa for details....:bowdown: :thumbs:

stuartp

Oh there'll still be acres of nothingness, but it needs some texture rather than just Halfords grey primer over polyfiller. It needs to be more weed-strewn too, but apart from point levers and a bit of detritus that will be as far as it goes.

The empty green space at the back of the layout is larger than it looks. Early options for what to do with this included a colliery (absence of coal in silurian sedimentary rock notwithstanding), a distillery, a sawmill, and a baronial gatehouse and estate cottages. Fortunately common sense prevailed (thanks Jamie) and all it will be getting will be cliff top scrub and maybe a couple of cows. Mrs P bought the cows for a birthday present so they have to go on somewhere !

Culreoch

Stuart,
Good to catch up on progress. That looks to have come on wonderfully since I last saw pics - 76112 on the approach, pic 1: wow. :cool:

View attachment 16768
The backscene might be bare plywood, the loco isn't weathered and the acres of nothingness in the goods yard indicates how much scenic work I've still got to do, but at least this is a prototypical formation. Derek Cross photographed this ensemble at Whauphill in 1963 - Stranraer's wee Ivatt, 46467, a recent transfer from Cambridge. The second vehicle is Pooley's weighing machine tool van doing it's annual tour of the weighbridges.

View attachment 16769
Having rounded up the shortbread vans and the empty minerals, 46467 leaves a couple of wagons in the mileage siding ...

View attachment 16770 ... before dropping the weighbridge van and a van of something or other for the Tramway Company. The weighbridge van is an ex-G&SWR full brake built from a G&SWRA kit. Transfers are homemade from inkjet paper and it's beginning to show.

View attachment 16771
46467 departs. Epic fail on the depth of field, sorry, but at least the water tower is in focus. The thing above and behind it is a display cabinet, that and a bookshelf limit the height of the backscene to 8" at the moment. The whole set up is a bit cramped, you can see in the first pic of these four that the study door handle has had to be removed so I can squeeze past to get in !

Really nice shots Stuart-Can't beat an Ivatt especially an old Cambridge one and they do look good in unlined black. ;)

The train the Ivatt is hauling looks good too especially the Pooley van.

There are some nice touches and the weatheing is just right being nice and subtle.

Cheers,

Mark

stuartp

I can't believe its been quite so long since I updated this !
20220325_194046.jpg
General view over the station and yard, basuc ground cover is now complete and there are fences, but it still requires a lot of detailing.

20220325_192606.jpg
The station name board (still in LMS yellow and black) was supposed to be a clever solution to protecting the very vulnerable platform fence where it crosses the baseboard joint. The name board and the two fence panels behind it are one unit, which drops into a couple of holes, it has worked in that the fences either side are so far undamaged, but it's looking a little the worse for wear after I separated the boards without unplugging it first. Oops. The perspex screens are there because the room doubles as my office and everything along the edge is at risk from elbows etc.

20220325_184451.jpg
The goods yard, also awaiting detailing. The provender store (two Ratio kits) overpowers the scene a little and will be replaced with an LMS asbestos one in due course. This one won't go to waste, its the right size for Newton Stewart, of which more later.

20220325_192520.jpg
46467 again.

stuartp

20220325_192012.jpg
One of Stranraer's Hunslets trips a couple of vans of fish up from the harbour.

20220325_193637.jpg
The complete lack of passengers for 55125 has not gone unnoticed, that's a closure notice pasted to the lamp hut.

20220915_221900.jpg
20220915_221742.jpg
Meanwhile, outside in the shed, Newton Stewart is taking shape. The Whithorn / Newton Stewart branch trails in from the left in the top photo, branch trains crossing over to use the far side of the (imaginary) island platform in the bottom pic.