Playing trains in the garden (again)

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
I was at my local 16mm group meeting a couple of weeks ago and a friend brought along a rather nice 7/8" quarry Hunslet that I rather admired. I know, he said, of someone who has another one he wants to sell, shall I put you in touch? Last Sunday I went to see the gentleman concerned and passed up on the Hunslet, it had been repainted in a rather offputting shade of brown, no further description necessary.

He did however have an attractive 7/8" Bagnall named Myfanwy that was also for sale at a price that was just irresistible, so I didn't and bought it. He also gave me a two wagons gratis, both from the Penrhyn railway, one for slate and one for fullersite. I thought this a most generous gesture. I gave it all a test this afternoon, the pressure gauge has been changed to a 3/4" one that I can at least see and the regulator handle has been changed for one reachable when the cab is on and there is some aesthetic considerations for the winter. It runs very sweetly with a pronounced chuff and thus far it will remain as a manually controlled one. Just need to build some wagons for it to tow round. Sorry the pic isn't great.
Martin
IMG_2319.JPG

Last edited: