Photo Etch in Birmingham

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Not sure about this one specifically but I know a number of etchers have closed recently in the UK. I think we have 2 left, the rest being in Europe.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Photo Etch Consultants in Walsall (if that's who you're referring to) ceased trading at the beginning of September when the liquidators moved in.
Dave

adrian

Flying Squad
Mentioned here as well - with a contact if you think you still have artwork with them, you may be able to recover them.

Reactions: AJC

simond

Western Thunderer
long may they remain so, they are suppliers for the PCB mounting tags we use in our HV instruments at work.

I guess given my hobby interests this is not a coincidence...

michael080

Western Thunderer
EU suppliers are not first choice after Brext, but there are quite a few companies in Germany that have specialized in etching. Here is a short list, maybe it is of use for some:

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Grainge and Hodder are still operating in the West Midlands, and 4D Modelshop in East London.
Interesting, but 4D don’t really want to do 18 x 12 sheets and even if they did, or if we could stick to A4 size sheets, the price is as much as, or more than four times that of PEC by area. The person l spoke to was very helpful and brutally honest!

When l told her l had 700 plus photo tools she recoiled in horror. She said they are having trouble getting brass and even more trouble getting nickel. She would offer no discount for a 250-300 sheet order. PPD is now the most realistic show in town l think. The cost of etchings is sure going to rise in any event.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
My great great grandfather worked as a brass founder, my great grandfather worked his way up to a brass founder’s clerk while my grandfather was a brass foundry manager. My father went to Birmingham University after WW1 to study metallurgy and then started an electroplating business. I was persuaded to find another career. But I still like brass as an alloy and feel a bit of it is in my DNA. The nearest thing to a brass foundry in Birmingham these days is a restaurant by that name on Broad Street. All rather indicative of where this country is heading?

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Take your point very much - but those of us who still think we can avoid Britain becoming a floating museum have to keep the faith - hard though it is sometimes! I’m still more interested in tomorrow than yesterday and I still love my work every bit as much as l did when l started out nearly 50 years ago. Mind you l agree it is hard and the headwinds would probably prove too much for a manufacturer just starting out and without money behind them. I’ve had two quite depressing conversations with other manufacturers today (apart from 4D).

Best to remember that if Bullied or Stanier or Gresley or Churchward (and that other often overlooked great Riddles) were around today they sure as hell wouldn’t be working on steam traction. They would have moved on and embraced the future - and in our little way, we must do the same. If not then we really are into a counsel of dispair!

Last edited: