Prototype PhilH's BR Photographs from circa1959

Renovater

Western Thunderer
With my freebie tickets from BR Southern region, i did that line between Inverness and Wick/Thurso a few times, 1980 onwards, apart from the 26's there were at least two Mk 1 buffet coaches (only sold fruit pies and McEwans for some reason !) on that service that stood out (Sc xxxx), they were different from the norm, they had really low level and quite long windows with very small stools next to them, i regret not taking a photo of them. Inverness to Wick behind a 26 took time in those days !

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I went to Geprgemas Junction and Thurso, but way back in steam days. About 1957/8. The trip from Oldham to Thurso seemed to take for ever but it was steam all the way.
Enjoying all the photos, Phil. Thanks for posting.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
One for the loco weatherists and also there's an interesting comparison in the track colour between the well used platform line and the lesser used siding.

For the track it's all the muck and grease dropped by the dirty diesels. I did notice in your preceeding post (#118 earlier today) the diesel did not enter the train shed on arrival at Wick. When looking at your next photo of the empty train shed the track colour changes. Probably not often modelled.

An excellent set of photographs and it's a pleasure seeing them - more so as they are so different from the usual published photos of the Highland lines.

Alas today it's all diesel units, however the scenery remains breathtaking.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Train sheds don’t like diesel smoke and fumes, on the Chiltern Line the diesel hauled coach stock always has the loco away from the Marylebone end for that reason.

4E32DD90-BEF3-4A2B-A364-7697D0708E83.jpeg

London bound train departing Warwick Parkway, August 2019.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
A little before Georgemas Junction the line runs alongside, and slightly raised above, a stretch of the River Thurso.

One day in the mid 80s my fishing partner had hooked a good salmon just as a passenger train approached - the driver must have noticed the rod ‘set into a mighty curve’ because he slowed and stopped the train.
John had an appreciative audience for some 10 minutes while he played the fish and eventually landed it.
With that, a toot on the horn and numerous cheers, the train went on its way.

Oh the joys of running a railway in a (very) remote corner of the network!

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thirty years ago I was doing geological fieldwork in the Metlaoui Gorge, Tunisia. This area was used for filming the English Patient but also has a tourist railway, Le Lezard Rouge. While working, the train arrived and stopped on an embankment above the stream. I was never sure why the train stopped but I think the train driver had not seen many people in the middle of nowhere without a vehicle (the gorge is too narrow to drive through). After a few minutes the train restarted and left us alone again.

LezardRouge.jpeg

The photo was taken before the train stopped as the tunnel from which it emerged is just visible. Needless to say, I never took a trip on the train, such things were deemed unnecessary by my employers!