pcb design and build using Kicad

Fitzroy

Needing to make 20 lights/smoke power distribution boards for a run of O gauge pacifics forced me into doing something other than chopping up and hacking/soldering a lot of Vero board. As a result I've ended up going up a rather steep learning curve finding out how to Use Kicad for board design and pcbway for board printing. Is anyone else doing that? Hopefully I'll have something to show in a few days.

simond

Western Thunderer
One of my staff uses KiCAD extensively. He reports it to be entirely satisfactory for eCAD and production of PCBs.

I have downloaded it but have not progressed further.

J_F_S

Western Thunderer
I have used KiCAD quite a bit from v5.1 upto the current v8 - for example for this project:--
which included getting PCBs populated with SMT components which was a first for this mechanical engineer. There are about 15 separate PCB designs in there, 12 of which we had populated by JCLPCB. Scroll up that page for this first project we completed.

I agree about the steep learning curve - if you had not already gone through that, I would have suggested using Fritzing which is a lot less powerful but a lot easier for the simple stuff!

Hope that helps,
Howard