Painting and lining

Silver Fox

Colin
It’s a lovely kit and very well designed, there are, however a couple of issues to watch out for.
The brass is quite thick and due to the shape of the fire box quite difficult to shape perfectly. Mine came out ok but was more luck than judgement. The other thing to watch for is the front bogie. It’s not actually a bogie as one wheel is fixed and the front one pivots. The clearance here with the splashers is about .5mm so you need to take grea5 care in getting everything square.
Many thanks Warren - sounds "do-able"! I will invest...
Regards,
Colin

Silver Fox

Thanks for the information, though the query was in jest, as I'd love one but couldn't warrant one in my modelling period.

I do believe that the tenders were mostly saved though and used on a number of other engines including the K2's.

View attachment 96767

JB.
Hi JB.
That's the trouble with the written word - you can never tell if things are said in jest or not!
Love the layout - do you exhibit it? (There aren't enough GER/ex GER layouts around)
Re the Stirling Single, I think "Rule 1" applies here - it's your layout and so you can run what you like! You could have the excuse that No. 1 has been put back into working order for working some specials...
Period is a personal choice, and I admit to having a mixture - mainly early BR (Eastern), but I also have a silver A4, a V2 in LNER green, a Johnson 0-4-4T in SDJR blue, and have just completed a D2 in GNR green, The downside of that is that I need to build coaches and wagons to match periods (but then "Rule 1" can apply anyway!).
Happy modelling,
Colin

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi JB.
That's the trouble with the written word - you can never tell if things are said in jest or not!
Love the layout - do you exhibit it? (There aren't enough GER/ex GER layouts around)
Re the Stirling Single, I think "Rule 1" applies here - it's your layout and so you can run what you like! You could have the excuse that No. 1 has been put back into working order for working some specials...
Period is a personal choice, and I admit to having a mixture - mainly early BR (Eastern), but I also have a silver A4, a V2 in LNER green, a Johnson 0-4-4T in SDJR blue, and have just completed a D2 in GNR green, The downside of that is that I need to build coaches and wagons to match periods (but then "Rule 1" can apply anyway!).
Happy modelling,
Colin

Hi Colin,

I won't hijack Warren's thread. You can see all the layout updates here. We were at the Warley show last November and the possibility of a few more shows in the pipeline.

Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956

JB.

P A D

Western Thunderer
Superb Warren!

You're going wear out the the nibs on that nice Haff ruling pen and Riefler spring bow, if you do too many of these.

Cheers,
Peter.

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
A few jobs from this year,

Wally West scratch built A1’s restored by Mick Bayliss Robert the Devil and Great Northern

EEC81601-35F9-4395-9FEA-2258BB63AAEA.jpeg

D05EF056-67F9-4814-8338-50B481D4EF4C.jpeg

Gladiator ex Northstar King Arthur built by Mick Bayliss

D92081BA-F22E-489C-8D7E-6166E38094D8.jpeg

GWR Princess Margaret built by Nick Dunhill

B7C2633D-09F6-4E4F-B1D1-0BACB01DDE6C.jpeg

Taff Vale K class again by Nick Dunhill

09C9C843-0084-48AA-B979-CEE309FC329E.jpeg

86426EA4-E02B-433F-9CC1-A2B4142E5888.jpeg

LSWR steamroller

21625C37-8325-4810-8FE5-B76EEB156CA8.jpeg

556FD916-7D4B-4186-A5A2-28B9D73E4E86.jpeg

And finally Nicks MGNR A class

65D04F48-F96B-4EA5-90DF-FD45D1627C7D.jpeg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
With LNWR coach livery, I had two methods to cut down on brush painting. Traditional LNWR panelling:- The white was sprayed on first followed by the plum, but with 'Toplight' coaches the plum went on first followed by the white. There is far less white on Toplights stock, but there is plenty of masking involved. The rest is all lining out.

In my early days (1970's) the plum tended to discolour the white when it went on top. When I switched from Keeps to ICI celly, this stopped happening.

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
I always do the plum first over very dark brown as it’s translucent, I’ve found that gives a lovely deep colour.
The white is much denser so needs far less paint to cover. I’ve a tin specialty mixed with a little green in it which looks white until the roof is sprayed then the hue is noticeable
All 99m cellulose

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The LNWR White supplied by Williamsons to me via David Jenkinson at the NRM is bluish. It would remain this way until varnished. David once told me he had the satisfaction of seeing the white on one of the LNWR Royal coaches showing this greening effect. On models, the green-ish white is probably the most appropriate.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Warren & Larry , I would love to use cellulose but its no longer available in Australia .The last Celly i got mixed was GWR brown and cream then i promptly changed to modelling LNWR & L&Y , easier for painting locos but the coaches ??? I will make do with the Railmatch paint that i have but thanks for the tip about spaying over a brown base .
Cheers Paul