4mm P4 Jubilee challenge layout Menyon goods

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
As part of the scale four jubilee layout challenge I have decided to model Menyon (Minions) on the Liskeard and Caradon line above Moorswater.
I have ordered etched for the 3 locos that worked the branch which will hopefully arrive in the next few months.
In the meantime I'm planning out how I'm going to lay the track. The track was bullhead on two bolt chairs screwed into granite blocks. I'm not sure if points were the same or that was just running rail. Hopefully someone will know. Also not 100% sure the size of the blocks. Anyone?
Screenshot_20240819-165640.png
This one of the points
Marc

Last edited:
As part of the scale four jubilee layout challenge I have decided to model Menyon (Minions) on the Liskeard and Caradon line above Moorswater.
I have ordered etched for the 3 locos that worked the branch which will hopefully arrive in the next few months.
In the meantime I'm planning out how I'm going to lay the track. The track was bullhead on two bolt chairs screwed into granite blocks. I'm not sure if points were the same or that was just running rail. Hopefully someone will know. Also not 100% sure the size of the blocks. Anyone?
View attachment 221941
This one of the points
Marc
Marc, you might find Caradon & Looe, The Canal, Railway and Mines by Michael Messenger published by Twelveheads Press to be of help. Unfortunately Twelveheads Press are no longer in business, but you might find a 2nd hand copy on the usual sites.
Malcolm

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Last edited:

Bob Essex

That pointwork looks ‘interesting’. It seems to suggest that it was nothing like what would be seen as normal, the ‘blades’ pivoting/sliding about to align with either road. Hm.

Bob

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Plenty more pictures here:-
Blocks Galore
I have tripped over a few sleeper blocks in my time but unfortunately I haven't had a tape measure to hand.
You should be able to get a good approximation from the photos linked above, it doesn't look to be an exact science.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi MArc

That point in your photo has been taken out of use and plain track laid on the diverging route.

I would be very surprised if the S&C work was not laid on timbers. It is only fairly recent that you see S&C work on concrete sleepers.

Richard

Obblygobbly

Western Thunderer
Contrary to the original post, the rail profile looks flat-bottomed to me, not bullhead. Would that be a later re-laying of the track, or original?

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Marc, you might find Caradon & Looe, The Canal, Railway and Mines by Michael Messenger published by Twelveheads Press to be of help. Unfortunately Twelveheads Press are no longer in business, but you might find a 2nd hand copy on the usual sites.
Malcolm
Quite a few copies on Amazon, including new in paperback edition.

HTH,
Mark

jc2001

Western Thunderer
That point in your photo has been taken out of use and plain track laid on the diverging route.

I would be very surprised if the S&C work was not laid on timbers.
I've walked some of the route a few times including the Kilmar extension and also studied the book.

I understood at least some of the points had stub switches including the one in the photo, and all the sleepers were granite blocks - which was a cheap material that lay all about.

John

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
I've walked some of the route a few times including the Kilmar extension and also studied the book.

I understood at least some of the points had stub switches including the one in the photo, and all the sleepers were granite blocks - which was a cheap material that lay all about.

John
My first thought was stub points, which would presumably be easier to lay on stone blocks that bladed points.

Mark

jc2001

Western Thunderer
I must admit looking at the turnout in the photo above it either has a movable section of rail for the crossing or it has been relaid for the right hand line as Richard suggests. That said if it had been a proper crossing/frog why bother relaying it? There is probably a couple of timbers in there too.

Wonderful stuff these old railways. My personal favourite is the Redruth and Chasewater. I still remember one of the old bridges over a road where the deck simply comprised a load of old rails covered with ballast and track - which was also stone sleepers.

John

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I thought about doing the Redruth but there are no drawings of any of the stock and photos are pretty sparse. There was a book published on it about 5 years ago that I wasn't quick enough to get my hands on.
Messenger has been on my bookshelf for a few years now I would recommend it. In fact I gave a few of his books on Cornish railways.

jc2001

Western Thunderer
I thought about doing the Redruth but there are no drawings of any of the stock and photos are pretty sparse. There was a book published on it about 5 years ago that I wasn't quick enough to get my hands on.
The original Redruth & Chasewater history was by D B Barton and I bought my copy from Truro Bookshop when I was a schoolboy without ever realising the proprietor was Mr Barton himself. Oh how I would have loved to have picked his brains on this and other railways.

Bob Essex

That would be interesting to replicate in P4, either the kick-over or it and the stubs worked together. A nice little challenge.... How may points did you say there would be........?:)

Bob