7mm OzzyO is back building a Dave Parkins' kit (and some JLTRT Coaches as well). Now on to some MMP 16ton wagon kits.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Well it's been a long time since I last wrote any thing about modelling but my head seams to be in a better place now.
Just for fun I thought that I'd start with a Parking's kit, if I can't do one of the best kits on the market I can always go back to Airfix ! and start over again.
These bogies are for a JLTRT Mk1 TPO for our new layout (not a lot has been done due to the lockdowns).
These are been built as BR2s heavy duty.scan_20200630061919.jpg So what do you get in the kit LOTS this is only a scan of the etch the you also get lots of very nice castings (sorry no photos).scan_20200627200524.jpg

Well on to the juicy bits the build, this is not going to be like one of my old builds in that it's not going to be a blow by blow account. I've not had too many problems up to now.
Bogie 001.JPG

I did these a bit back to try and get back in to the workshop but my head went pop , but I did manage these as well,Bogie 002.JPG

So I've got back to it and giving it a go, over the last couple of days I've done these. It may not look a lot of work but in the outer A frames and the end frames are about 80 parts.
If you want a shake the box kit this is not for you.
Bogie 003.JPG

Would I recommend the kit yes not a problem, but you do have to work out how you want to assemble it, I'm braking it down into chunks and will then assemble them in to one large piece.

ATB

OzzyO.

Last edited:

michael080

Western Thunderer
Exciting.
I am sure you are aware of Heathers and Ken's build threads. This thread supplies a lot of additional information.
Have you already made up your mind which springs to use? I have used the cast ones after endless fiddling with the tiny supports of the "real" springs.
And then of course the roof. Real challenge to get it right :)
A very exciting kit. I enjoyed building my MK1 BG.

Michael

adrian

Flying Squad
A year ago, or so, I purchased a couple of 16t mineral wagon kits from Parkins. I've never seen so many tiny parts, and since opening I haven't ventured into building yet. Just more shelf items for retirement, if the eyesight can keep up!!
They are superb kits - the detailing is second to none and accurate. However I wouldn't say they are kits for a beginner, some confidence in soldering is required before you start. Also given the number of small parts I think they are one of those kits that you have to focus on getting it done to the exclusion of all else. Keep focussed on the build and finish it quickly - again just my humble opinion but they are not a kit to pick up and do a little bit and put down to come back to later. This is not a criticism but the instructions are so detailed and the diagrams just mean that the build is easier if you don't have other distractions.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello all,

just a quick up date, I got into the workshop yesterday to grit blast some of the parts for the bogies. A before and after photo (or should that be a after and before photo). Some people like to have the model nice and shiny, that is not my way if I was going to all the trouble of getting a lovely shiny finish I would want to lacquer it. But each to there own.
Bogie 004.JPG

I also ended up having a WTF moment when the feed air line blew off the connector inside the grit blaster cabinet. The lid was open so I ended up with a fine shower of grit starting to form, so lid down compressor off and extractor on. After the compressor had emptied its tank and let things settle down. Time to get things back together loosen clip put back on tighten up. About 5 mins latter the same thing happened but the lid was down this time so not to much grit escaping.
Before I put the hose back on this time I cut about 1/2" off the end , I think what has happened is that the hose was so compacted that when I put it back on the connector it would not compress into the groves in the fitting.
The down side is that it may have fobard the air filter as the white disc that is hanging down should be across the bottom of the filter assembly, the question now is will it still work as it should do.
IMG_2100.JPG

OzzyO.

simond

Western Thunderer
Ozzy,

I’m 99% sure you can unscrew the “glass” bowl and put the disc back where it belongs, might need a drop of uhu to keep it there.

I don’t think it’ll matter tbh.

Atb
Simon

michael080

Western Thunderer
I am not sure if a filter would be needed for a grit blaster anyway :)
A condensate drain might be useful, but a filter?

Michael

Deano747

Western Thunderer
I am not sure if a filter would be needed for a grit blaster anyway :)
A condensate drain might be useful, but a filter?

Michael
Hi Michael

Looks like a water trap. Similar to the one on my grit blaster. As you quite rightly point out it is essential when using such fine powder. (Sorry, no pics as I'm away with work!)

Regards, Rob.

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Ozzy,

Whats the reason for the grit blast? Does it make painting stick better later on?
Phil
Allegedly it does, but not required with a good etch primer.
I’ve just painted an LSWR X2 built by Lawrie Griffin which had been grit blasted and although clean the brass is slightly roughened. As I use celly paint it means it requires more coats and rub downs to achieve that mirror finish which I try to achieve. If using enamel paints then it’s no so bad as the paint has more filling properties than cellulose.

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
I occasionally find it useful to use an air eraser for cleaning out solder and other crud from hard to reach places where it saves some difficult work. It doesn't seem to rough up the surface as much as a grit blaster although its a much slower process. I've recently used decent etch primer for the first time, not the stuff in aerosols, with which I've been very impressed.
Tim