4mm OLD MILLS is up in the air!

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
An ambitious plan for a model of Standish Junction was drawn up. However I hit a snag. Advancing years!
I had been (before I emigrated South at the turn of the century) a long-time Wolverhampton MRC member.
Involved with exhibition layouts Leighford, Stoke Summit, Charwelton etc. I was hoping supreme baseboard builder
Norman Turner could be commissioned to build a foundation for my project. However he was suffering with the same malady; advancing years.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Plan B.
Now Wolves club were considering selling Old Mills a 24 foot by 9 exhibition layout. Based on the North Somerset cross country line between Frome and Bristol. I had assisted in operating this train set one weekend at Swindon show in 2016 and was impressed. It had featured in the press too.

1727248439159.jpeg1727248538903.jpeg1727248594669.jpeg1727248486611.jpeg

Last edited:

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
Oh yes. 1727255717062.pngAccess is via what I was told was a "folding staircase" ! It's a bl**** loft ladder! Paul, Toby and yours truly managed to get all 16 boards up stairs with only one point damaged.
However, it's not feasible to ever exhibit again.

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
And the damaged point is the one under the last 2 16t mineral wagons. No I have not repaired it yet !
I moved the time era of the layout back from WMRC's late '60's to 1959-62. I have rewritten the history of the line to include a fictional 1954 upgrade of the line's route restriction to red from dotted blue.
So here taken with the photographer's back to the colliery, is a "Brit" on a freight. Mmmmm; must improve the loads in the sand wagons. The white marks on the track indicate the Spratt & Winkle coupling magnets and are invisible from the viewing side.1727267653875.jpeg

Last edited:

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
Another day, another goods train. 1727276400239.jpegThis WD has now gone as it was noisy. I sent it to my good friend Tony Wright who repairs stuff and sells on donating the money to Cancer Research. God Bless him. A better man than I (and a better modeller). I had 2 WDs and the other one is WR one with the Western fire iron tunnel. The first wagon is an EnParts beast.

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
Mr Portillo behind the fence? 3 panniers I acquired at a show. Only the one in the middle worked. The others went to Tony for repair the 15xx > CRUK. The 16xx was also repaired and came back to me. We have done a bit of "Horse trading" over the 40 plus years we have known each other.
1727288840705.jpeg