O&EM workbench - Van de Error

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
If you buy a comet chassis kit for a 14xx it works with a twin beam. I modified mine to work in em & boy does it work a treat now. It's not an expensive chassis pack neither. I wouldn't wander down a 2-2-2 style compensation its just making more work for yourself. I've briefly documented mine in my workbench thread the yeovil 14xx. Mine has lead in the tanks, boiler & bunker giving it some real weight to grip the track. It's also built in em gauge.

Si

Western Thunderer
Thanks Simon, It did come with a Comet chassis and was made to EM with Markits EM wheels, but was made rigid, so I am planning to rebuild now with homemade twin beams as per the other Simon's diagram above.

I've stripped it down and will post some pics in due course...
Cheers
Tony

Western Thunderer
So having purchased a quantity of Romford coach wheels with short axles, how do I go about getting hold of 1.9mm pinpoint axles? Seems like I'm on a hiding to nothing here, but any ideas would be gratefully received.

Converting them to 2mm seems silly? Is it possible to ream the plastic bush?

I don't have a lathe sadly.
Cheers
Tony

Western Thunderer
The EM side of things is picking up, I bought an Oxford Rail GER van and thought I'd follow @NHY 581 Rob's weathering technique. I'd never done any weathering before and found it easy to follow Rob's advice.
IMG_20230527_121507879.jpg

I have these P4 wheels from a million years ago, anyone know who made them?

IMG_20230527_121748984.jpg
IMG_20230527_121820208.jpg
Cheers
Tony

Western Thunderer
Thank you chaps. That does ring a bell. I assume these are not made anymore?
Cheers
Tony

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thank you chaps. That does ring a bell. I assume these are not made anymore?
Cheers
Tony

I honestly don't know - Gibson obviously do much the same thing (as do Ultrascale, doubtless eventually). I gather Branchlines still stock KM buffers, so it's possible.

Adam

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
I have these P4 wheels from a million years ago, anyone know who made them?

View attachment 187576

Interesting wheels. They appear to be diecast, or moulded, with the tooling split midway across the width of the spokes. There doesn't appear to be a separate tyre, and with seemingly plastic insulating bushes on the axle, guess these wheels are diecastings? The flanges don't look P4ish.

-Brian McK.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
I would go with Brian Mck on the construction in which case they are not Kean MayGib.
As an aside (and I am probably way out) I presumed that Alan Gibson was the "Gib" in Kean MayGib and quite possibly the G in MGW before that (still got some of them somewhere....).

Western Thunderer
Thanks again chaps, I can confirm there is no separate tyre and they are P4 total tyre width, i.e. 2mm.
Cheers
Tony

Western Thunderer
They are metal wheels. I thought I bought them new in the early 90's, but maybe they were bought secondhand.
Tony

Western Thunderer
Here's my idea for a roundy roundy in EM, 1000mm radius, four (or just two) baseboards, ends marked in blue, track drawn in Templot. Thick dashed lines embankments. Has a halt and coal yard, with Romford Goods Yard style exit for private siding. Make one board at a time with temporary fiddle yard until all is completed.
Tony
2023_06_09-Roundy-roundy-small.png

AJC

Western Thunderer
Looks good - not that it matters that much - is the 1000mm the internal radius of the boards, the external, or the centre line?

From experience you can get most things round a 3’ 6” ruling curve in EM without looking daft but things like Peaks or class 70s (the modern General Electric variety) need a bit of attention with regard to things like sprung buffers and couplings will get them down to 3'.

Adam

Western Thunderer
I like it, but what’s a Romford Goods Yard style exit please?

Regards

Dan
Hi Dan,
An explanation of the Romford style exit is here.

Post in thread 'LSWR B4 - real life minimum radius' https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/lswr-b4-real-life-minimum-radius.11133/post-263222

It had a 1 chain radius curve over the yard exit road.

The yard at Romford being at the bottom of an incline was worked as follows: GER Appendix dated 1891, ‘brake van must be placed in the front while descending and at the rear while ascending’
Tony

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
Looks good - not that it matters that much - is the 1000mm the internal radius of the boards, the external, or the centre line?

From experience you can get most things round a 3’ 6” ruling curve in EM without looking daft but things like Peaks or class 70s (the modern General Electric variety) need a bit of attention with regard to things like sprung buffers and couplings will get them down to 3'.

Adam
Hi Adam,
1000mm is the radius of the track in Templot.

Currently, my largest EM loco is a Pannier. I have a Bachmann 45xx to convert, so this is likely to be the largest loco. I'm not much of a fan of anything larger.

I've not found any recommendations on the EMGS website for minimum radius, so went for a metre, following reading up on Ian Futers Longwitton layout.
Tony