1/32 Devoran Quay

Simon

Flying Squad
Embryo G1 Garden line

I'm a bit embarrassed posting this here, because it has been seen elsewhere and progress is so pitiful, but anyway here goes.

This is by way of a "place marker" for my garden line which I have at last started actually building. Building in the sense that I have track permanently shaped, wired up to and gapped ready for laying on to a completed track bed, but am currently "rained off".

I am massively inspired and motivated by Phil Dyson's absolutely magnificent line featured on this group, everything about it looks "right" to me and I hope to achieve something of a similar result in places on my line.

Here is my D6319 sitting on the track that is waiting to be fixed down, this is on the lift out bridge, the first pictures of which appeared on RMweb a bit but an awfully long time ago. Track is Cliff Barker's code 180 stainless steel in his moulded sleeper/chair units and sitting on his super elevation wedges.

28A3.jpg

I hadn't cut the rails when this photo was taken. Fred Phipps, who makes the kit that was used to build D6319 and also a Warship (not pictured as I don't have one) is coming down for the day in a few weeks time bringing D818 and a BSK, so I should have some more interesting pictures after then.

Although my modelling wanders all over the place, the theme of the line is an ex LSWR secondary junction and route in north Cornwall or Devon. I'm not quite sure "where it was" but it will be called Wenbridge Junction. Friends with WR Hydraulics (Messrs Harrod, Mabbett and company) are a very big influence and I look forward to the day they descend upon me with all their superb models.

I shall try to refrain from just talking about it and get on doing it, I will post up progress shots as I make some....

Great group by the way, and thank you very much Cynric for the "heads up" - I wondered where you had all got to!

Simon Castens

Bath

(Very wet but looking forward to seeing the Western again later today!)

Last edited:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum :thumbs: . Well what can i say :drool: :drool: . You don't need to appologise for a lack of work, its a hobby and we would all like more time/money and sometimes insperation to make progress on our projects. The pic you have posted looks EXELLENT :thumbs: Very inspiring. There is definately something about Hydraulics in the garden. I look forward to seeing your progress on this project. Even if you don't really have anything to take a pic of ,just post a couple of sentances telling us what your up to. Things like that give us all insperation at times plus you can have a chat with like minded modellers :thumbs: . I am hoping to build a garden railway based on Penzance but as yet i have only fixed some posts in the garden :cry: . I too was in awe of Phill's garden railway which helped me make the decision to go garden railway :thumbs: Feel free to look at my various projects and pass comment good or bad. Please keep those progress reports coming :thumbs:
Cheers Rob :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Embryo G1 Garden line

Simon
It might be slow but at least you have started :lol: there is a rich vein of inspiration in the ex withered arm lines and you wont go far wrong basing it in that area. There certainly is something about garden railways, I suspect its the light and the natural greenery that make the difference and make everything more tonally balanced.
I guess you will also be needing some milk tankers as well?

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

As Rob said; no apology needed, especially if you can post pics like that one!! Gauge 1..!! You'll be the envy of us all soon enough!! :drool: :drool: :bowdown: :thumbs:

...and welcome to the Forum, too! :wave:

Simon

Flying Squad
Embryo G1 Garden line

Thank you very much for the welcome and kind words.

I haven't fully explored this place yet, but there is a lot of really inspirational modelling and whilst I am doing G1 and not O gauge there are loads of techniques and ideas on here that I can use I think. Jordan's Motorail flats for example - now there's a thought that hadn't really registered before....

I have built a fair bit of stuff in G1 so far, and I do have some bits that are suitable for D6319 and the WR. There is even less available in G1 than O and prices can be even more eye watering, so creative modelling is the name of the game - although I have like many still "invested" quite a lot of cash in the whole thing.

I have a small indoor train set too, which makes D6319 look like a real monster.

Big&bigger.jpg

Looking sunny today, so hopefully I will be laying some permanent way on which D6319 can stretch its legs soon.

28ten

Guv'nor
Embryo G1 Garden line

I think there is far more in common between 7mm and 1/32 than between 4mm and 7mm. not just the cost but the presence and feeling of mass, constructional techniques are pretty similar.
When I started in 7mm back in '87 there was not the level of commercial support that there is today and far more scratchbuilding was needed - not dissimilar to 1/32 today. Etching and laser cutting makes home production easier than it used to be, both Dan and I are into doing our own artwork for custom parts for various projects.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

Simon said:
I haven't fully explored this place yet, but there is a lot of really inspirational modelling ... Jordan's Motorail flats for example - ...
*ahem* <embarrassed shuffle>

The Motorail Flats are Lancer's (Rob's), not mine... :oops: ;)

Simon

Flying Squad
Embryo G1 Garden line

Jordan said:
[quote=""Simon"":3cgj0uy1]
I haven't fully explored this place yet, but there is a lot of really inspirational modelling ... Jordan's Motorail flats for example - ...
*ahem* <embarrassed shuffle>

The Motorail Flats are Lancer's (Rob's), not mine... :oops: ;)[/quote:3cgj0uy1]

Oh Sprinters, I had a horrid feeling I'd got something wrong :oops:

Yes, Rob's motorail flats, not to mention his Westerns :)

I think I made the mistake because I had just been admiring your fantastic Class 14 thread Jordan, topped off by your very impressive wasp stripes - sorry about that!

In between cooking and washing up yesterday I managed to get out in the garden and solvent super elevation wedges to the two sections of track that run from the lift out bridge to the toe of the first turnout. Hopefully I will have something worth taking another photograph in the near future, might manage to solder feeds to these bits of track today if the rain holds off.

In the meantime I am looking at a completed S&D 2 plank wagon which is still in primer and wondering if I couldn't get away with a spoof paint job to suggest some disreputable engineers rubbish wagon that might have just survived into the hydraulic era.....

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

No worries! ;) (only Rob isn't too keen to be associated with any Dark Side modelling... :p
tongue0025.gif
)

The Fred Phipps model has captured the 'face' of the 22 far better than the Steve Beattie kit I used, in my opinion. I can't quite make out what's not quite right with that- the nose curves all seem to be in the right places relevant to the cab and side windows, but I don't know if it's too wide, too short, or what... it's just not quite right... your's looks spot on. :cool:
How about some pics of your indoor G1 layout, too? You really are teasing us with the pics so far..!! :lol: :thumbs:

Simon

Flying Squad
Embryo G1 Garden line

Jordan said:
No worries! (only Rob isn't too keen to be associated with any Dark Side modelling...
tongue0025.gif
)

The Fred Phipps model has captured the 'face' of the 22 far better than the Steve Beattie kit I used, in my opinion. I can't quite make out what's not quite right with that- the nose curves all seem to be in the right places relevant to the cab and side windows, but I don't know if it's too wide, too short, or what... it's just not quite right... your's looks spot on. :cool:
How about some pics of your indoor G1 layout, too? You really are teasing us with the pics so far..!! :lol:  :thumbs:

Jordan

I think your Steve Beattie Class 22 looks very good and it looks to be quite a tricky thing to build - which makes your achievement all the more impressive.

Fred is very talented and he had access to full works drawings when he made the masters for his kit (he has also provided info to Dapol so 4mm modellers should hopefully be in for a treat). His kit has a fully formed body in resin, so shape issues are all taken care of before construction even starts. I am also a bit ashamed to admit that I bought D6319 ready built, a friend was selling it and eventually offered it to me at a price that I was unable to resist. I have my own unmade kit which I am going to complete as D6315 with headcode discs and pre yellow panel green livery. Looking around this forum is making this a more appealing prospect, but I must finish off a few other projects first....

The indoor layout is a bit "Area 51", it is called "Pomparles Siding" and is the result of a thought process started by the RMweb 6 square feet layout challenge. It represents a private siding alongside an imagined branch line from Glastonbury to Butleigh, off the S&D. Of course it all became WR property so it isn't too far off the mark....

Here is a picture taken outside last year, unfortunately the WR stock was put away so you will have to suffer pre grouping, apart from the 48DS which was inspired by that which worked next to the WR mainline at Keynsham and ended up at the Bitton site in my youth.

[attachment=0:2cax1nfp]

I have a few more appropriate models for this place, the best of which is my AA20 "Toad". I will post up a picture when the garden line offers a  better photographic opportunity - hopefully quite soon. Work is progressing outside even though it's the Easter holidays and the boys are at home, mostly rock and earth dumping for the main "station" area.

Attachments

• Pompgen.jpg
    Pompgen.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 418

28ten

Guv'nor
Embryo G1 Garden line

Nice shot :thumbs: its very convincing. Get the boys mixing some cement :laugh: my three year old is very 'helpful' when im putting fence posts in :headbang:

Simon

Flying Squad
Embryo G1 Garden line

Ah yes, the boys. Cycling over re-seeded grass, kicking muddy footballs against new walls, threatening Mrs C's prized peony and then there's the mysterious cracked pane in the greenhouse....

While they were otherwise engaged I got my favourite "toy" out for some baseboard construction. I had sort of promised myself that I wouldn't inflict gardening shots on this place, but this shows the scene in the fantastic sunshine of this morning - through trains are some while away yet!

Site.jpg

The result was a tolerably level brand new three foot long section of trackbed cast on to my rubble embankment, just visible behind the white spirit level.

For reference the previously pictured lift out bridge is hut out of sight behind the shed. I will post up a track plan of the whole lunatic idea when I find where on this computer I left the image.

This will hopefully be the scene of rapid development in the next few weeks.

No more gardening shots, I promise.....

28ten

Guv'nor
Embryo G1 Garden line

Ah the cement mixer my favourite tool :D I dont mind gardening shots - it shows how much effort goes into making the trackbed, its actually rather more in the spirit of building a railway, if that makes sense :D

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

This looks to be a very interesting projects. It's nice to see the weather is getting better as i too need to get the old mixer out :thumbs: I am eagerly awaiting the track plan :drool: :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

28ten said:
Ah the cement mixer my favourite tool :D I dont mind gardening shots - it shows how much effort goes into making the trackbed, its actually rather more in the spirit of building a railway, if that makes sense :D
Ah, yes, the grim reality of a garden line in it's early stages!! Rather more real-life Navvying than usual baseboard construction involves!! :lol:
Keep the garden shots coming; it's all of interest. :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

I was trying to read this thread on my mobile last week & I would like to add my approval to it too :D , the last pic illustrates the difference between garden railways & indoor model railways , I know I may be a little biased here :rolleyes: :laugh: , but garden railways have more in common with those Victorian builders like Brunel & what you will end up with is a real railway running through a real landscape...........keep up the good work :thumbs:
Cheers Phill :wave:

BTW Please feel free to introduce Steve & Fred & those other G1 Hydraulic boys to this forum as I'm sure they would receive a warm welcome :D :cool: :cool: :cool: , I know I for one used to enjoy Steve's(AKA Mr Tiger Viking's) threads on the old RMweb :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

Phill Dyson said:
I know I for one used to enjoy Steve's(AKA Mr Tiger Viking's) threads on the old RMweb :thumbs:
And I would... (makes a change from "Me too.." :rolleyes: :oops: :lol: )
I'm indebted to Steve for permission to copy the "Lister" nameplate on his G1 model of D6320 for use on my model... :thumbs:

Simon

Flying Squad
Embryo G1 Garden line

Thanks for further encouraging comments, much appreciated. As a result of my new found enthusiasm I have cast another section of track bed this afternoon, I'll spare you the pictures of more stones and concrete.

However, yesterday saw a rare bit of G1 retail therapy, it's a long story and its second hand but I am now the proud owner of a Bachmann San Cheng 03.

Posed out in the sunshine today at the current "head of steel":

new03.jpg

I intend to paint it into earlier "WR" green, retaining wasp stripes but with red buffer beams and without air brake pipes and above footplate cylinders. However, for the moment I will leave it just as it is and use it as my "everyday" loco for testing wiring etc. It also needs its wheels sorting out before it will go through my pointwork, I'm hoping I can do something crude like pushing the wheels out on the axles to increase back to back in the short term.

Either way its a chunky little beast and I'm really pleased with it.

Simon

PS I will definitely tell Mr Tiger Viking about this place, I should think it will be right up his street....

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

mmmm..........Gauge One :drool: :cool: :cool: :cool: .............maybe one day (pull yourself together Dyson, you can't really afford O gauge :laugh: )
Phill :wave:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Embryo G1 Garden line

Phill Dyson said:
mmmm..........Gauge One :drool: :cool: :cool: :cool: .............maybe one day (pull yourself together Dyson, you can't really afford O gauge :laugh: )
Phill :wave:
:lol: :lol: Let's see how long you last if someone does a G1 Western.... :scratch: :drool: :thumbs: