New 7mm Scale Society

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
7MM SCALE SOCIETY
The 7mm Scale Society is a new, modern and independent on-line society for finescale* modelling in scales between 1:43.5 and 1:48. This therefore incorporates both UK and worldwide finescale modelling as well as 7mm narrow gauge and Scale Seven.
We welcome all [over 18 years of age] finescale modellers in these scales whether their interests are primarily in railways, road vehicles, scenic elements or maritime features.
From its formal launch on 1 January 2021, the society will provide members with access to its new on-line web-based forum. This will feature member-generated content and enable sharing of modelling, prototype information, photos and video links. There will also be active news, editorials and links to other sites. The society is currently live on-line in advance of that date.
We believe we are friendly, informal, economical and all about modelling. We know we have no silly rules, hierarchies or extra baggage.
The first year’s subscription is just £5 which we believe correctly reflects the economy of an on-line only forum.
For more information, contact 7mmscalesociety@btinternet.com or visit 7mmscalesociety.org
*7mm finescale railway modelling in the UK is based around the wheel and rail standards in use by leading manufacturers in the UK such as Slaters, Peco, Minerva, Dapol and Heljan. Thus it excludes tinplate, clockwork, 3-rail and coarse-scale whose adherents enjoy their own alternate societies.

Flying Squad: If this isn't the correct place to post this please move it to the correct place

Attachments

• Introducing the 7MM Scale Society.1-12-20.pdf
    273.2 KB · Views: 36

lankytank

Western Thunderer
So, it's the Gauge 0 Guild.....? But, with a different name......? Built around the existing trade suppliers but excluding a large collection of people who model in tinplate etc. Oh, so its the Scale 7 Society....? Oh, perhaps not...... But, yes it is......???

Just what we need, another organisation that's the same as a couple of existing organisations. Talk about reinventing the wheel.

Sorry, Marc, whilst I wish you well with your endeavours - in these times of tightening belts and emptying wallets, I think it is ill-judged & ill-timed.

But, what do I know.......

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
7MM SCALE SOCIETY
The 7mm Scale Society is a new, modern and independent on-line society for finescale* modelling in scales between 1:43.5 and 1:48. This therefore incorporates both UK and worldwide finescale modelling as well as 7mm narrow gauge and Scale Seven.

*7mm finescale railway modelling in the UK is based around the wheel and rail standards in use by leading manufacturers in the UK such as Slaters, Peco, Minerva, Dapol and Heljan. ..........

Flying Squad: If this isn't the correct place to post this please move it to the correct place

1:48 scale is not 7mm/ft and the wheel and track standards used by the manufactures are not 7mm/ft and for a society to cater for 'finescale' standards can not incorporate Scale Seven .
We do have a group for it already.

Col.

A

Arun

1:48 scale is not 7mm/ft and the wheel and track standards used by the manufactures are not 7mm/ft and for a society to cater for 'finescale' standards can not incorporate Scale Seven .
We do have a group for it already.

Col.
I believe the reason for including 1/48 scale was that US modellers call 1/48 scale 'O Gauge' and calling this society something like 'Finescale O gauge' would have been a little close to another well known O Gauge society. Hence concentrating on 7mm but not wilfully excluding US modellers was the way to go. As far as I know, there's nothing to stop folk from joining as many societies as they like. I'm [still] a member of GOG, Scale Seven, Scale Four, DEMU, WT, 7mmNG and 16mmNG. I suspect that the ethos of the new society is less hidebound to my taste than GOG but railway modelling is still a 'broad church' isn't it?

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
So, it's the Gauge 0 Guild.....? But, with a different name......? Built around the existing trade suppliers but excluding a large collection of people who model in tinplate etc. Oh, so its the Scale 7 Society....? Oh, perhaps not...... But, yes it is......???

Just what we need, another organisation that's the same as a couple of existing organisations. Talk about reinventing the wheel.

Sorry, Marc, whilst I wish you well with your endeavours - in these times of tightening belts and emptying wallets, I think it is ill-judged & ill-timed.

But, what do I know.......
Barry,

But it's the Gauge O Guild that they want, and not what the majority of members of that august body want, and that is what they fail to grasp. It also sounds like it wants to be the Scale 7 Group, but Finescale, whilst setting out they adopt standards encompasing Slaters, Dapol and Heljan, which are all different ! No commonality there then !

Plus, and here's the big USP, it's £5 for the first year.....I wonder what it may be for the second year, or third? I wonder what the agreement is with the "benefactor" in terms of any repayments ?

Ian

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
I believe the reason for including 1/48 scale was that US modellers call 1/48 scale 'O Gauge' and calling this society something like 'Finescale O gauge' would have been a little close to another well known O Gauge society. Hence concentrating on 7mm but not wilfully excluding US modellers was the way to go.

Arun,

So not7mm Scale then. American O-scale is 1/4" to the foot, or as you posted 1:48 scale ratio, as set out by the NMRA. Another differing set of track and wheel standards. Just saying.

Ian

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I believe the reason for including 1/48 scale was that US modellers call 1/48 scale 'O Gauge' and calling this society something like 'Finescale O gauge' would have been a little close to another well known O Gauge society.

Yes it would have been too close to the other well known O gauge society but to use the words 7mm scale society is also too close to the Scale 7 Group.

Col.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Since I joined WT two years ago (is it really that long ago!) I have kept my Gauge O Guild membership but hardly visit their forum, too political for me. I update a thread on Moor Street occasionally and always get a warm response from like minded members over there, some of them being the usual WT suspects! I also have enjoyed the camaraderie of the various exhibitions, being able to put faces to names and chat with vendors. This hasn't happened in 2020 but hopefully will restart next year.

I don't really see the point of another forum, tbh.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Speaking personally WT does it all for me. Additionally I get the benefits of all the other scales, non railway comments and their advancements. And it's on line.

Additionally I can choose to go to whichever exhibitions I wish, and the new offer doesn't appear to include exhibitions - fortunately, because that would simply dilute the resources of potential exhibitors.

Sorry to say this offers me nothing as a USP.

Brian

simond

Western Thunderer
I resigned from the Guild. I admit to missing some of the G0G forum, but the politics, no thanks.

I very much like it here, and have had support and camaraderie which I hope I have reciprocated in kind. I know some here don’t love RMWeb much but I have had much positive, and very little negative there too.

I enjoy a range of free online magazines which tend to 7mm ish, French, English & US.

I don’t see the point of joining another society, but wish it well.
Atb
Simon

A

Arun

Arun,

So not7mm Scale then. American O-scale is 1/4" to the foot, or as you posted 1:48 scale ratio, as set out by the NMRA. Another differing set of track and wheel standards. Just saying.

Ian
I can't recall ever seeing a US outline 1/48 scale loco co-located on the same layout as a 1/43.5 scale UK appearance one. In which case, they can cheerfully co-exist in their own separate [but co-located] worlds - I'm sure Prof Einstein would have been able to figure it out.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The thing I like about WT is that it's just modelling, no scales/gauges BS, no exclusions, no private sand pits, covers many disciplines from trains to planes and occasional ships and vehicles.

Best of all it's free (I'd happily pay or donate if asked), polite and all are welcome, no pigeon holes & minimalist rules.

Why would I go somewhere else :eek:

No objection to new venues, but personally, quite happy here.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I should add that when I left RMWeb along with several others to join WT I first tried another newly formed forum but its initial "membership inertia" was never overcome and as much I wanted it to grow it didn't seem to have the necessary multi-scale following. If this forum takes off, that's great, but to do so it will need a lot more support than I am seeing in the posts so far.

I didn't realise that Simond had left GOG but I fully understand why. Mickoo says it all about WT being for active modellers - there are too many armchairs in the other club houses!

John K

Western Thunderer
The only service on offer in the new thing is access to a Xenforo page that looks rather like this one for £5 per annum.
Like Mickoo I'd probably rather put a fiver in the pot here, but never say never.
John

Sheffield

Well I shall give it a try for a year. The Guild forum has shown too much narrow minded intolerance for my taste, and I am not too keen on the elitist aloof management either.

adrian

Flying Squad
I like to think that we are fairly easy going so this is a good a place as any.

Whilst I'm quite happy to advertise new ventures and opportunities for members so I wish you all the best in your endeavour, however what I would appreciate is focussing on the positives and benefits of the new Society. I'm not so keen on discussing the politics, and right's and wrongs of the Guild and reform group on this forum, they have their own forms (fora!) for that. We all have our own little niches to fill and the ethos here has always been play nicely and avoid politics and I would like to keep it that way.

So this is a polite request to please leave the axe's to grind at the door on the way in and just enjoy the modelling.

Many thanks

Adrian

DougT

Western Thunderer
For the benefit of doubters, I do believe that James Ch 2 Vs 14-26 covers it nicely

...I'm sure Prof Einstein would have been able to figure it out.

I have no axe to grind here, I’m a member of the S7 group (as much due to family connections as anything) frequent this forum and I build models and a layout to chill out from my day job. I know nothing of this new group beyond the initial posting, and I wish it well.

However when two responses to the natural curiosity and comment that such a posting is likely to generate quote the Bible and Einstein in response yet don’t attempt to address the points raised in any meaningful way I am naturally inclined to walk away and take my interest no further. I wish you well, but that’s switched me off totally.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I like to think that we are fairly easy going so this is a good a place as any.

Whilst I'm quite happy to advertise new ventures and opportunities for members so I wish you all the best in your endeavour, however what I would appreciate is focussing on the positives and benefits of the new Society. I'm not so keen on discussing the politics, and right's and wrongs of the Guild and reform group on this forum, they have their own forms (fora!) for that. We all have our own little niches to fill and the ethos here has always been play nicely and avoid politics and I would like to keep it that way.

So this is a polite request to please leave the axe's to grind at the door on the way in and just enjoy the modelling.

Many thanks

Adrian

Many thanks for that Adrian.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me on this and this and equally no-one has asked my to write this. I'm now a member or both the New 7mm Society and the S7 group. I'm not conflicted. When I'm doing S7 I do S7 but my current layouts are both FS. And the one I'm working on is S7. I personally feel very at home within the S7 group and I'm hoping to feel equally at home in the new group.

I resigned my GOG membership last time the issue of reform was raised at the turn of the last century. So for me the die had been cast many years ago. I have been wandering in the wilderness since then. I found the S7 group about 2 years ago which was great, and I have no intention of leaving I should add. But as I also do FS and a bit of NG I wanted something but not the guild. However, speaking to friends who were in the guild until very recently the final straws for them have been the imposing of the new rules, MC not being able to fully show how they have spent the memberships money and the negative campaigning from some MC members against the Reform Group.

I believe that once all this covid stuff is out of the way there in intention to, partner with other similar groups to, host shows. The intention in the medium to long term to be more than just online forum. The feeling, within what was, the reform group was to reform not replace but as events have over taken it became clear that this wasn't going to happen so the only course of action was to start another group.

If nothing comes of it then people can't say that we did nothing and we have the right to whinge if we all had sat there and don't nothing then we have no rights to complain.

Marc