Nene Valley Diesel Gala

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
47423 said:
Hi Jordan,
At the risk of upsetting a few folk, IMHO HST`s were the best thing that happened to the railway. ...
I wouldn't get upset. I don't doubt their economic impact, and in fact at first I liked them myself; first saw one at Edinburgh Waverly in fact while on holiday in 1978, and my first model train set was the Hornby HST. I would also argue that their original livery was one of, if not the best livery they have ever had. They have also captured the imagination of my lad, as they are still modern-looking amongst the Voyagers, Pendolinos etc despite their age.
I would also recognise that whereas when most locos get "bumped" from the Top Links, they find work on secondary duties, it says much about what expensive liabilities the Deltics were that there was nothing else they could do besides ECML expresses that would pay.
It was just the fact HSTs killed off the Deltics that I didn't like at all, probably as they weren't local to me, and I never saw them all. Childhood impressions tend to stick, sometimes... ::) ;)

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Hi Phill :wave: (Nice Pictures :thumbs:) Looks like you had a great day at the Nene Valley Railway, Its a railway I've never been to but it looks a lovely place, think I always had a vision of those awful continental coaches and was put off by that so think thats probably why I've never ventured there, Do they still use them BTW? (cant seem to see em on any pictures) Also you can definately count me in for a ticket on the mainline behind the Western :thumbs: :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
rosspeacock said:
  I've never been to but it looks a lovely place, think I always had a vision of those awful continental coaches and was put off by that so think thats probably why I've never ventured there, Do they still use them BTW? (cant seem to see em on any pictures)  :thumbs:
Yes they are still used, but there was a rake of MK1's & a TPO/DMU rake in use as well  :thumbs: , Robert wanted to travel in the foreign rake ( I felt like an extra in 'The Great Escape'  ;D )

Phill  :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill,

many thanks for the posting, I'm being very patient and looking forward to MMP's 33 coming out.

regards

Mike

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
47423 said:
At the risk of upsetting a few folk,...
I was in awe of Deltics as a 10 year old ... i have to say they do nothing for me at all nowadays.
At the risk of upsetting others  ;) ... I think one of the reasons I like the Deltics is that they have something of the American F-Unit styling about them... the prototype Deltic more so because it had a similar central headlight on the nose. :scratch: :thumbs:

*resists temptation to add gratuitous Dark Side pictures to thread...* :D