Mucking about in the WT Naughty Corner.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I've been a bit naughty, Over There. A Thread about the current temperatures & associated Dire Warnings has turned to the matter of railway track expansion in the heat, both real and model.

I felt it only fair to point out that the track on my layout hasn't distorted from the heat, it always looks like that...
20220717_161358.jpg

20220717_161439.jpg

:)) ;) :p

Northroader

A work of art that is, matey. Before I insulated the loft i’d get the rails tearing off the copper clad summer to winter.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
A work of art that is, matey. Before I insulated the loft i’d get the rails tearing off the copper clad summer to winter.
The only copper clad strip is the 'skeleton' of each switch. Everything else is spiked through wood ties, which I reckon has helped keep everything in place, as well as the expansion gaps I left when laying it. The loft is decidedly hotter today with even the trains very warm to the touch, but still no discernable rail distortion.
On one of my US DVDs a Nebraska Short Line shows operations shutting down when rail temperature hits a certain figure (which offhand I can't remember) in the height of summer. So I'm claiming my lack of operations this week is just following the Prototype. ;) :)

This is being very naughty!
Do you think it would go down okay on a well known modellers thread “over there”!?
Go on, do it!!! :)) :thumbs:

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Yesterday Network Rail closed a line when the rail temperature hit 62°C. Whether this is a standard cut-off point, or merely a pragmatic decision related to one particular route, I don't know. Also, I'm too hot/tired to bother to convert that figure to Fahrenheit for our old fashioned cousins...

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Had a browse in 'Smiffs' yesterday. I couldn't help but notice this gem on the cover of Model Rail's "Great British Model Railways" latest issue....
20220804_143044.jpg
"Hints and tips from real life modellers"...!!!! NO!!!! REALLY????? :)

I have to say what a sheer relief that statement is!! Imagine getting hints and tips from imaginary modellers!!??!! :confused: They could cause chaos, with all sorts of ridiculous advice!! :headbang:

I think breathless hyperbole has descended to a new level... :rolleyes: ;)
So too, has Sarcasm - alive and well in the WT Naughty Corner, and as allergic to gushing model railway froth as ever..... :shit: