Mr Tiger Viking - G1 1/32nd Modelling Workshop

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Morning Guv
I did on D6331, however as you have noted it is a huge expanse to spray thin repetitive coates over, for the Warships I ended up using Precsion spray tins to give a stronger paint base, I then used the air brush along with dry brushing to complete the final weathering.
Regards
Mr TV

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Happy New Year

I eventually managed to complete some modelling over this Festive season (11 days off with only 3 hours modelling - surely thats a terrible ratio), I took the opportunity to solder the 8 bearings into the Bogie chassis, I then fitted the wheels to check for alignment and free wheel running, I need not have botherd as its a Fred Phipps kit !! :thumbs:

I also found stored in `A` shops lots of other Warship bits that I had previously made, Screwcoupling, Buffers, Cab steps etc etc along with the sandpipes I made from 0.040 gauge guitar wire.

This is how D854 Tiger will look when finished http://diesel-image-gallery.fotopic.net/p38642041.html

Regards
Mr TV

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

28ten

Guv'nor
I love the green  :thumbs:
If it's any consolation, you have had more time than me, for one reason or another I have done nothing for three weeks  :headbang:

John D

Western Thunderer
Bachmann do a lovely 03 Shunter, and Mercian do a Ruston 165 Shunter,

Not forgetting , in 1:32 scale, the Old Originals Ruston 48DS (small, but perfectly formed!) .........sorry, shameless plug :eek:

hoppy504

Western Thunderer
G1 comes in three scales, 1:29, 1:30 and 1:32.
The Americans tend to follow 1:29 and 1:32, we follow 1:30 and 1:32 the second being considered closer to scale.

john.

Simon

Flying Squad
hoppy504 said:
G1 comes in three scales, 1:29, 1:30 and 1:32.
The Americans tend to follow 1:29 and 1:32, we follow 1:30 and 1:32 the second being considered closer to scale.

john.

Ian, there is no difference between G1 and Gauge One, there are just the three scales that John lists above. Some of us further complicate matters by using "more scale" track and wheel standards than is usual.

Scalewise John's summary is fine although one ought to be aware that 1/32 is "considered closer to scale" for the simple reason that it is the correct scale for G1 where track gauge is to represent standard gauge. 

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
that explained alot it's just my friend has a gauge 1 peak and I was thinking about looking to order the etches for the bodysides, cab ends and the roof.

Ian

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
Steve, will you weather it as per the link or more extreme like your 7mm Tiger ?

Phill  :wave:

Hello Phil
Obviously I have lots of images of Tiger and I will try and replicate what I see in the images, weather this ends up being as extreme as the 7mm model I once built
only time will tell, that is another contributing factor in choosing BR Green small yellow ends as opposed to the final BR Blue for D854 is that I can have fun with the weathering (always my favorate bit)

Regards
Mr TV

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hello All
Crickey is it really 120 days since I last posted, Work has been a terrible excuse, 4 hours travelling a day and the being too tired at 20.30 to contemplate any modelling has impacted on modelling throughput.

I have however managed to get stuck in on Saturday afternoons and I have completed the Warship bogies (at long last) they along with the Warship body are due to be primed once the warmer weather returns. Other modelling work started (I must be mad because I have not finished Tiger yet) is the NBL D61XX, Class 29 in 1/32nd scale to which I am building two!!!! I will add some images of this at a later date.
Cheers for now
Mr Tiger Viking

Attachments

• Upside down Warship bogie.JPG
    Upside down Warship bogie.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Upside down Warship bogie 1.JPG
    Upside down Warship bogie 1.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Warship Bogie 1.JPG
    Warship Bogie 1.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Warship bogie 2.JPG
    Warship bogie 2.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 32

28ten

Guv'nor
Are you driving to both axles or just the one? when I clear the backlog in tempted to do my Warship before the D63 just because it looks as if I will need to do fewer mods

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric
Yes the Warship is a lot easier to complete than the D63xx, however both are satisfying kits to build.
I only need to power one wheelset per bogie, preferred power is RG7 for the very smooth running, which is all I require on Worcester Road. My Class 29 will have a more powerful can motor with delrin chain drive to the other axles as it will be my main loco to take to Simon`s garden railway. 
Have you started on the CAD drawings for 1/32nd Warship & D63xx windows yet?
Regards Mr TV

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi All
I have also manged to get some of the smaller items made up, photos supplied, which along with the body, chassis & Bogies will be primed and then top coated. Painting is really the next step for Tiger.
Cheers
Mr Tiger Viking

Attachments

• Front Buffer Footstep and Cabside Footstep.JPG
    Front Buffer Footstep and Cabside Footstep.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Bogie side frame supports.JPG
    Bogie side frame supports.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Coupling.JPG
    Coupling.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Bearings with wheels.JPG
    Bearings with wheels.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 42
  • Left & Right hand sand pipes.JPG
    Left & Right hand sand pipes.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 39

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hello All Again
Crickey no activity for 120 days and now I cannot stop myself !!!!
I was going to put these images in the none WR area however as the title is G1 1/32nd Modelling workshop and to keep all my activity in one place (easier for me to manage) I will upload my progress with the Fred Phipps Caradoc Models Class 29 kit.

I started the kit at the Cheltenham Model show (MikeEx) at the begining of April, the work covered here was merely removing the Class 21 detail from the front end, Such a shame as the detail Fred has put on is very accurate  :bowdown: :thumbs: :drool:. However once identifying what stays (tick) and what goes (Cross) out came the scapel knife. 

I have 2 (yes 2) kits to build, a Class 29 D6107 in Blue Full yellow for me and a Class 21 D6109 again in Blue Full yellow for Bob Hunter who kindly gave me my kit as long as I build his.

So the Works are full to bursting point with a Warship to finish off and 2 NBL type 2`s just started.
The front end details have all now been added, the next stage is the etched bodyside, work here is to solder the grills and lower valances on.

Pictures added so you can see the progress.

More later
Regards
Mr Tiger Viking

Attachments

• Class 21 front end detail.JPG
    Class 21 front end detail.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Conversion to Class 29 starts.JPG
    Conversion to Class 29 starts.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Three Quarters front view.JPG
    Three Quarters front view.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 40
  • D6107 Class 29 front ends.JPG
    D6107 Class 29 front ends.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 40
  • D6107 Front and Side.JPG
    D6107 Front and Side.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 41
  • D6107 body side with roof sill soldered.JPG
    D6107 body side with roof sill soldered.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Rolled Class 29 roof.JPG
    Rolled Class 29 roof.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 39

28ten

Guv'nor
Mr Tiger Viking said:
Hi Cynric
Yes the Warship is a lot easier to complete than the D63xx, however both are satisfying kits to build.
I only need to power one wheelset per bogie, preferred power is RG7 for the very smooth running, which is all I require on Worcester Road. My Class 29 will have a more powerful can motor with delrin chain drive to the other axles as it will be my main loco to take to Simon`s garden railway. 
Have you started on the CAD drawings for 1/32nd Warship & D63xx windows yet?
Regards Mr TV
They are done. im just trying to source some suitable and sensibly price cast acrylic, which is not as easy as you would think unless i buy in industrial quantities  :headbang:
Im thinking delrin drive for my Warship, I would like to use ABC bogies but the cost gets prohibitive over two or three locos. the chain wont be visible with a Warship but on the 63 it will show, mind you i dont think i really need all four axles driven.

S

Simon Dunkley

Mr Tiger Viking said:
Crickey no activity for 120 days and now I cannot stop myself !!!!
You won't mind some questions, then! :D
The front end details have all now been added,
Noticed some filler in use there: which brand/type of filler have you used?

Keep up the posting - must get my D63xx out again soon.