Micromodels - Your workshop all in a cigar-box

Terry

Western Thunderer
Edit. Re post 42 in this thread. I have added a picture of Modelcraft self-propelled Queen Mary which has just come into my possession.

Terry

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
My dad and me built one of the Cabin cruisers in the mid 1950s,to make it waterproof,he stood in a tin of molten candle wax,I seem to remember that it really worked..

Ray.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Edit. Re post 42 in this thread. I have added a picture of Modelcraft self-propelled Queen Mary which has just come into my possession.

Terry
I'll guess that's quite rare, Terry, and I'd really like one. I remember sitting on Ryde Pier and watching RMS Queen Elizabeth, RMS Queen Mary, SS United States passing through The Solent and thinking I'd never travel on any of them. Such were the expectations of youth. That was true of those ships, of course, but I've now been on QE2 (my favourite) and Queen Mary 2 among others. I wish I'd learned some languages when I was at school, but when would I ever go abroad, let alone work there?...

Apologies, Terry. The mind's wandering again. Quite a normal thing for me nowadays.:))

Brian

Terry

Western Thunderer
'll guess that's quite rare, Terry, and I'd really like one.
Hello Brian. I think that a good scan is the only way in which you might own this model, unless you are prepared to wait for years for one possibly to become available. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, Autocraft Ltd. who are currently posting lots of scans on eBay, don't possess the rights to this Modelcraft model, so it won't be forthcoming from that stable.

Terry

Terry

Western Thunderer
The Modelcraft single sheet model of LNER B17 Class 'Sandringham' (as posted by Ray in post 52 of this thread) has just come into my possession. Worthy of note is that the two footplate valances are identical and not mirror images, as they should be if you are to build this model.

Terry

modelcraft-print-jpg.205956

Terry

Western Thunderer
ARC XIX - Houses of Parliament. I have been assembling this model for some time now. I tend to add a bit here and there and then put it away. Eventually the urge to do a bit more returns and out it comes again. This is the current state of play..

IMG20240113201846.jpg

IMG20240113201904.jpg

A little bit of touching-up of white card required in a few places.
Terry

Terry

Western Thunderer
@Terry that looks really nice. What glue do you use?

Thanks Mike. Althought the cards are just black and white and not very exciting, they do make up into a nice model. I use a white acrylic glue called 'Cosmic Shimmer'. It has the consistency of thick cream and is easily controlled, unlike some of the thinner card glues. It has the advantage that any excess glue can be removed with a cocktail stick from the model surface without leaving any residue, provided it is removed immediately. I use it for all my card modelling. Also can be removed from windows in buildings without leaving a trace. It is available from Amazon so is readily available.

Terry

Mike Trice

Western Thunderer
Thanks. Ordered a bottle.

I currently dip a cocktail stick into the pva after removing the top so the fine tip might prove life changing.

Terry

Western Thunderer
Thanks. Ordered a bottle.

I currently dip a cocktail stick into the pva after removing the top so the fine tip might prove life changing.
I also use a cocktail stick to smear the glue along the edge of the card piece to be fitted. I think that you will find that too much glue is delivered from the nozzle to cause you to change your technique.

Terry

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
I printed out a Turbomotive card on gloss photo paper so that i got a nice gloss loco.It didn`t work too well,you have to scrape the coating off toallow the pva to penetrate or use superglue which can be quite messy.

Ray.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
This thread takes me back many years. I don't think I or knew anyone that had successfully built one of these. Certainly quite a lot of skill was required from an adult in the room. I also like the assumption the matches, bits of wood with tools around to carve are readily available. A real indicator of the times.

I remember after a trip to Stoke Bruerne Canal Museum picking up a narrow boat model. Pritstick and the bluntest safety scissors was never going to get it built to a decent standard. I suppose a rainy afternoon was well spent though.

Terry

Western Thunderer
This thread takes me back many years. I don't think I or knew anyone that had successfully built one of these. Certainly quite a lot of skill was required from an adult in the room.
As stated earlier in the thread, my elder brother built Dr. Johnson' House. He was probably around 12 to 14 years of age. However, I don't think that the models were really intended for children, more the adult hobbyist.

Terry

Terry

Western Thunderer
As mentioned previously a man of your calibre should be cutting them out with the laser cutter now.
Yes, but not really in the Micromodels ethos of 'Your workshop all in a cigar-box!' A scalpel takes up far less room.

Terry