Michael's tool bench and other model stuff

michael mott

Western Thunderer
A little more work on the eccentric Victorian. Lord Montague has been experimenting with some unusual pile batteries that he thinks will be all the rage in the future. These batteries are coupled in series and are 4000 mah. He also had the workshop copy his favourite tractor seat, claims it is the most comfortable one he has ever sat on on a loco.

IMG_4404x1024.jpg
IMG_4403x1024.jpg
IMG_4401x1024.jpg
IMG_4400x1024.jpg

The reality is that a couple of C cells hidden inside a used plastic cling card tube wrapped in some jute twine from Michael's with some end caps turned from a bit of ebony there will be brass connectors atop.
IMG_4391x1024.jpg

The metalwork curved end panels are laminated Tetley's tea box card, and some Delisceio frozen pizza box card.

The tractor seat is .025 brass annealed after cutting and shaped over a form.
Capture IMG_4382.jpg
Capture 4385.jpg
Capture 4386.jpg

I am currently working out the way to mount the forward and reversing lever switch. it is a centre off double pole double throw mini switch, I am thinking that a lever slipped over the toggle could work well. All the wires will be solid copper covered in black or red parachute cord and will be visible in the same manner as Montague's other locos.

Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
A small update, I have completed the major components except the switch and begun painting.the frame and end panels. The battery piles are now completed with the brass connections top and bottom.

IMG_4411x1024.jpg

The long end fits into the frame so that the connections underneath can connect to the switch.

IMG_4413x1024.jpg

The connectors on top of the bipolar motor are now fitted and the motor can be painted tomorrow.

The frame is black and will get a satin coat one it is properly dry.
Capture 4415.jpg

The end panels are Lord Montague's favourite colour Maroon there will be the Estate logo and some tasteful lining and a number to finish it off.

IMG_4414x1024.jpg
The motor will be a deep indigo blue with brass fixings of course.

Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris Fortunately Lord Montague is ok as it was the maintenance forman Bob who had an allergic attack from a bee, he is recovering. Lord Montague was able to hop on after it rounded the bend at the waterfall and pull the lever to the off position. I had a conversation later about the rational for a "dead-man switch" he seemed willing to look into it.

michael

micro mill

michael mott

Western Thunderer
A few pictures of the small mill drill that I made for working on shall stuff rather that using the big mill drill. The drill was basically cobbled together using odd bits of metal and then a purchased surplus 9v dc motor and three dial gauges. The very first iteration evolved over a few weeks as I determined what needed improving as I used it. it began as just a drill press.
Capture2011.thumb.JPG.0aa6a8369c502be94f1b1a00a16a92ed.JPG

I realized that it would be better with an X Y table so set about putting one together with material I had to hand. as you can see i also changed the quill to a square sliding one, with a collet that will hold either 3/32 shank drills or 1/8th shank drills or mills.

IMG_2087x1024.jpg.307bd26d73b535043bdd035cc5dfd973.jpg

I used the dremel collets in my own holder.

IMG_8606x1024.jpg.848587397fac1e8363d07aae995965ef.jpg

IMG_8607x1024.jpg.601a4d02003560d082f0cf786eb3880b.jpg

once the milling operation became an evident possibility the quill needed to be able to be adjusted in the same way as the table, so some additional work was done to allow for this. by modifying the feed screw length adding a gear and a worm, also a way to lock it in place.

IMG_8623x1024.jpg.1e2cff7f6040a69bdacec0ee7fb3ca0c.jpg
IMG_8632x1024.jpg.d9719bc6495afa5f78f0e686d605b441.jpg

Next another dial indicator to measure the feed.

IMG_8640x1024.jpg.a36caf43aa96b9a9d00426c593cb2265.jpg

IMG_8637x1024.jpg.79e9e02fd2e962a4e72efae79016905b.jpg

This pretty much sums it up, I did not work from drawings but just basically made quick scribbles on scraps of paper as needed to make the nexr bit depending on what material I had to work with.

Its a handy little tool.

Michael

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael
I have just read through this entire post absolutely amazing mind blowing stuff I cannot get over your workmanship thanks for sharing for all to see, the engine you have made what fuel dose it run on?
David.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Michael,

Heath Robinson at his British best. Well done, about all I would change would be the size of the D.T.Is. face to a smaller diameter. Looking at it you could also us a o.ooo1" D.T.I. on the movements.

Nice work & ATVB,

OzzyO.

Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael
I have just read through this entire post absolutely amazing mind blowing stuff I cannot get over your workmanship thanks for sharing for all to see, the engine you have made what fuel dose it run on?
David.
Hello David, the idea is to use model aircraft fuel but to use only vapor. There have been some folk who have done work on this idea. Currently the model is stalled while I work out how to ensure the head of the cylinder can properly seal.

Thanks to all for your interest and comments.
Michael