Martin Finney 7mm A3

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter
Thats a lovely job it brought back memories of almost 35 years ago when I was doing the maintenance on the A3 4472 Flying Scotsman, It was sent over to Australia in 1988 for our Bi Centennial celebrations I worked on it while it was in Victoria.
David

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Peter.
A wonderful model and a joy to see. Can I also welcome you back to WT and express the hope your enthusiasm and posts on here fully return.

Regarding the boiler level gauges, don't forget the the chevrons are only painted on the inside of the back of the protective frame and are not really visible from the sides.

Dave.

rex carslake

A slight digression down memory lane.

After reading Heather's ressurection build of her "Shedmaster" Ivatt class 2 tank, it brought to mind my own trials and tribulations with my build of the Oakville kit. This was my first foray into 7mm loco kit building and what a baptism of fire it was. In comparison, the A3 was a walk in the park and if I was building the Oakville kit today I'd still struggle. Here it is sitting on the article from MORILL mentioned in Heather's thread. View attachment 87733

The frames were miss matched as was one of the rear axle holes, and overall the etchings needed a lot of fettling to get them to fit. The white metal casting were mostly junk and the most important ones were replaced by brass castings from Shedmaster. The chassis was build rigid albeit with jointed rods but strangely it still runs well enough.

The excellent boiler top castings are from Shedmaster.
View attachment 87734

And the slide bars, cross head and piston rod that replaced the awful white metal ones in the kit. Look at that lovely castellated nut on the cross head. The holes in the various valve gear rods were mostly over etched and as can be seen I left the screw head showing at the motion bracket. Might do an upgrade on it after I retire if my brother will let me, as it belongs to him.
View attachment 87735

The cab interior leaves much to be desired, but its shortcomings can hardly been seen from normal viewing angles.
View attachment 87736

It turned out OK in the end and I think captures the character of these nice little prairie tanks. It was lined out with 4mm scale transfers, as by the time we had spent a small fortune on the replacement castings, neither I or my brother had the cash to buy 7mm ones.
View attachment 87737

View attachment 87738

View attachment 87739

By the way, if the hob looks dirty it is probably because some git has used up all the hob bright on other things. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Peter

PeteB

Peter, you're back!!!! Can't add anything that's already been said.
Nice to read from you again.

Pete