7mm Loose Ends

28ten

Guv'nor
I have pulled several wagon threads together to keep things in one place

Every layout needs at least one of these, and although Slaters do a kit I prefer to build in metal, but I believe the connoisseur kit is also available in 4mm.
The basic kit is accurate enough but as always I couldnt leave well alone :D what you see here is the kit as supplied but with a load of Slaters castings and Exactoscale W irons. hopefully it should be finished after Bristol when I get a couple more footboard supports

Attachments

• BR_Brakevan16.jpg
    BR_Brakevan16.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 281

28ten

Guv'nor
Nothing fancy, a standard body but with an Exactoscale underframe. I think this is the easiest option if you wish to add some 'bounce' The downside is that it adds ?13 to the cost of the kit.
The body needs some detailing and I shall replace the cornerplates with something a little finer. In the long term i shall be looking at doing my own etch for the parts as it is far more economical for a dozen wagons.

Attachments

• 16T_mineral2.jpg
    16T_mineral2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 16T_mineral1.jpg
    16T_mineral1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 148

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Parkside mineral wagon

That's a really nice under frame, I would imagine that springing is essential for S7 :?:
Cheers Phill :)

28ten

Guv'nor
Parkside mineral wagon

I would probably do the same in O/F, but I'm not building for a large layout :D a chap locally has a nice garden layout and everything is rigid, heavily weighted and it works very well.

28ten

Guv'nor
The box has been opened :D
Im not going to do a blow by blow account, as it has all been done before, what I intend is to comment on anything I have done differently and to try and give a balanced appraisal.
Ill post some pictures later, but the first impression is WOW! I am used to etched kits which in their un-built state are two dimensional and bear very little resemblance to the finished article, so to pick up a 3 dimensional cab that looks complete is quite something :D so having washed all the main parts I held them together with some blu tack and spent half an hour admiring my Western!
Next up are the instructions, which disappointed me. A series of photos and some captions is not good enough in a kit costing over ?450, at the very least an exploded diagram of all the assemblies should be included. Fortunately I have Dans 'RMweb thread instructions' which are much more help than those supplied.

Some pictures tomorrow...

28ten

Guv'nor
D1011

A couple of shots

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_2912.JPG
    IMG_2912.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_2900.JPG
    IMG_2900.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_2898.JPG
    IMG_2898.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 392

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
D1011

Shame your not doing a blow by blow build (can't have too much of a good thing :cool: ), are you just having one motor bogie :?:
Phill :D

28ten

Guv'nor
D1011

Yes, just the one motor bogie ABC claim it will haul 14 lima coaches. mine will be lucky if it ever has to pull more than half a dozen coaches so it should be fine.
Dont worry I will post updates on anything interesting. :D

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
D1011

I'm really looking forward to seeing another Western taking shape (and to finishing my own of course). :lol:

I like all your transparent storage boxes - where did you get them from please?

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
D1011

Dan
they are from the really useful box company http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/. you can get them from Rymans, but I you shop about you can pick them up cheaper on line. I when I get a kit I sort everything out into the boxes (I also have some A4 boxes for etches) as it makes parts much easier to find and it keeps the bench tidier ;)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
D1011

28ten said:
Yes, just the one motor bogie ABC claim it will haul 14 lima coaches. mine will be lucky if it ever has to pull more than half a dozen coaches so it should be fine.
Ron Chaplin does some motorising stuff for the JLTRT kits too, I'm not sure if it's a motor/gearbox to fit them or a full motor bogie.
If you don't mind me asking, how much is an ABC motor bogie :?:

Cheers Phill

28ten

Guv'nor
D1011

Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""28ten"":2dgla38e]Yes, just the one motor bogie ABC claim it will haul 14 lima coaches. mine will be lucky if it ever has to pull more than half a dozen coaches so it should be fine.
Ron Chaplin does some motorising stuff for the JLTRT kits too, I'm not sure if it's a motor/gearbox to fit them or a full motor bogie.
If you don't mind me asking, how much is an ABC motor bogie :?:

Cheers Phill[/quote:2dgla38e]
Hold on to your hat..... ?170 inc wheels :shock: but I was quoted ?115 for a motor gearbox with delrin drive, which makes the ABC bogie seem more reasonable. So far the kit has cost ?750 :shock: if I wanted a sound chip you could add another ?150......
What gets me is that you could buy a RTR Heljan 47 with dual motor bogies for ?425 or less depending on the deal available. My Heljan Hymek cost ?210 :shock:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
D1011

28ten said:
Hold on to your hat..... ?170 inc wheels :shock: but I was quoted ?115 for a motor gearbox with delrin drive, which makes the ABC bogie seem more reasonable. So far the kit has cost ?750 :shock: if I wanted a sound chip you could add another ?150......
What gets me is that you could buy a RTR Heljan 47 with dual motor bogies for ?425 or less depending on the deal available. My Heljan Hymek cost ?210 :shock:
It is a very fine piece of engineering though & they are very efficent at delivering the power to the wheels, you would have needed 2 conventional motor bogies for similar pulling power. Does it have a flywheel too :?:
I know what you mean though about Heljan v JLTRT (my 47 was ?325) :roll:

Cheers Phill

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
D1011

28ten said:
Dan
they are from the really useful box company http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/. you can get them from Rymans, but I you shop about you can pick them up cheaper on line. I when I get a kit I sort everything out into the boxes (I also have some A4 boxes for etches) as it makes parts much easier to find and it keeps the bench tidier ;)

Thanks for that - I think I might have to invest in a few of those.

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
D1011

Phill Dyson said:
It is a very fine piece of engineering though & they are very efficent at delivering the power to the wheels, you would have needed 2 conventional motor bogies for similar pulling power. Does it have a flywheel too :?:
I know what you mean though about Heljan v JLTRT (my 47 was ?325) :roll:

Cheers Phill
There is no fly wheel with the maxon motor. but the bogie rolls on very nicely without one. The motor has shown up the age of my controller :oops: but I cant contemplate DCC or the like just yet as it is all rather academic up and down 12ft of test track :lol:
You got the last Blue 47 didn't you ?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
D1011

Yes I think I got Towers last blue one, I notice that Tower have stopped advertising Hymeks for ?299 which is just as well as I kept hearing Hymek number 4 calling me :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
D1011

You can pick up a Hymek for about ?250 off ebay, i have also been tempted by another. the blue SYP ones seem to fetch less than the green SYP.

I spent last night making resin dust as I started to fit the fibre optic for the headlights. the more I look at them the more inclined I am to make an etch for the surround
Jordans picture shows the surround and the moulding isnt as crisp, or am i being an old woman ? :lol: :lol:

York21Aug09036.jpg

Attachments

• Western_Marker_lights.jpg
    Western_Marker_lights.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 128

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
D1011

I should be safe from Hymeks, so long as there are non for sale at Kettering :lol: (mmmm....GFYP/BFYP.... must resist....must resist :mrgreen: )
The lights look OK to us finescale bodgers :lol: , but here's a couple more picks to help you decide :)

[attachment=0:lygha2rl]XL803004.JPG[/attachment:lygha2rl][attachment=1:lygha2rl]XL803003.JPG[/attachment:lygha2rl]

Attachments

• XL803003.JPG
    XL803003.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 40
  • XL803004.JPG
    XL803004.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 41

28ten

Guv'nor
D1011

Thanks Phill :)
you have made me another job :lol: I bet Dan will want some :) :)
I am going to put together a small etch as there will probably be a few other bits.
BTW its not a question of finescale bodging, you build a whole railway whilst I make a shelf full of half finished kits :lol: :lol: but that is another topic altogether :D