London and Birmingham Rly in G3

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Three 3D printed London and Birmingham wagons have just arrived in the post. Printed from my CAD artwork. I used the drawings in the LNWR Soc Journal, which had been copied from Brees.
View attachment 169171
Is it too personal to ask what the wheels cost, Geoff? Mark Wood sells a single cast iron unmachined 3'1" open spoke wheel for 13.44. machining would be extra on top of that if one had to outshop them for this work.

Jon

michael mott

Western Thunderer
An interesting question regarding the cost of wheels Jon. I was just wondering about that yesterday, I did a comparison of the cost of slaters wheels for a 4-4-0 loco between G1 and 7mm the G1 was 131pounds sterling and the 7mm was 119 pounds sterling their selection for G3 was blank. The only reason I am using the Mark wood wheels for the card loco is because I already had them and they were pricey but beautiful and I did not want to see them sit in the box. And as life shifts and courses change using what is available on the shelf so to speak seemed prudent. As someone mentioned earlier on my build and I’m paraphrasing here “ the wheels make the loco”
Michael

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
for the card loco
What? a card loco? Without that almost throwawy line, I would have missed your thread about building a large scale loco in card. I shall pore over that thread line by line, and copy it. I have a running loco chassis which would make an ideal candidate for a body built from card.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Geoff some years ago I remember reading about a chap in England who build garden railway locos out of card and they were quite successful As Peter Insole stated it is such a clean "easy" material to work with, and the mistakes are not as difficult to toss because the humble material just goes straight into the recycle bin. I am finding the printable cardstock wonderful stuff to work with and three layers forms a really tough part and dilute carpenters glue applied with a 1/2 inch flat brush is a quick and easy way to laminate up curved parts.

Michael

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Geoff some years ago I remember reading about a chap in England who build garden railway locos out of card and they were quite successful As Peter Insole stated it is such a clean "easy" material to work with, and the mistakes are not as difficult to toss because the humble material just goes straight into the recycle bin. I am finding the printable cardstock wonderful stuff to work with and three layers forms a really tough part and dilute carpenters glue applied with a 1/2 inch flat brush is a quick and easy way to laminate up curved parts.

Michael
Michael, I've just started a conversation with you about filing curved edges on card. Meanwhile, when you say carpenters glue, is that what we in the UK know as PVA glue?

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Yes it is the Lepages PVA yellow wood glue I use this one for the card
IMG_5306x1024.jpg
and the regular one for woodwork. I found that for card this particular glue works very well when diluted with water to the consistency of milk brush it on and then press down the next layer quickly working out from the center on larger surfaces, I also find that placing the work on some wax paper while brushing the glue on relieves a lot of mental stress. The curved panel that I formed over the wood on the loco was so easy to do I was surprised at how strong the three layers are.

Michael

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
One of the delights that I mentioned in Michael's thread, was discovering (many years ago) that it was even possible to "work" dry card into curved shapes!

I remember the challenge of making a smokebox door out of one piece of card. I seem to recall using a spoon handle as a hard, rounded object to "stretch" the material (on the rear face) into a nicely dished shape. I was surprised by its resilience once the glue - and a good coating of Humbrol matt black had been applied!

Pete.

thruxton

Western Thunderer
Fascinating- I'm using a similar technique and materials to equip a Westdale Blue Pullman with 'double glazing'.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Geoff here is a little test I did today First a couple of sheets of 1.31mm archival matt board were glued together with the dilute PVA then the edges were treated with AC glue and within a few minutes I was able to sand the edges with some 220 coarse sandpaper then used some 320 wet and dry dry of course then some 600 wet and Dry. then I used a fine file to create a bevel at one corner. the black is straight Vallejo brushed on.
IMG_5312x1024.jpg
IMG_5317x1024.jpg
IMG_5319x1024.jpg
IMG_5322x1024.jpg

The edges are as hard as styrene. I am going to see how a triple laminate of some of the printable stock works as tongue and groove.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Card is an interesting option for model building, as it cuts extremely well on a laser. I had thought of doing “W” irons and other structural wagon bits (in 7mm) but being something of a butterfly, haven’t got any further than thinking…

your comment about it being “as hard as styrene” set those thoughts off again.

I think, on further reflection, fundamentally I’m a cheapskate! I’ll spend a fortune on lasers and 3D printers to save seven pence on a wagon…

(and to see “if I can”)

:)

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
It worked out at £9.50 for a set of four wheels, from SGD3D, plus the cost of Slaters axles and brass axle bushes. The Slaters axle back-to-back is 58mm, I used 4mm brass washers to pad that out to 60mm
Geoff
That's very good indeed. What diameter are the wheels in feet and inches?

Jon

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Card is an interesting option for model building, as it cuts extremely well on a laser. I had thought of doing “W” irons and other structural wagon bits (in 7mm) but being something of a butterfly, haven’t got any further than thinking…

your comment about it being “as hard as styrene” set those thoughts off again.

I think, on further reflection, fundamentally I’m a cheapskate! I’ll spend a fortune on lasers and 3D printers to save seven pence on a wagon…

(and to see “if I can”)

:)
Simon,
A real cheapskate would let someone else spend a fortune on 3d printers and laser cutters so you can save 7 pence.:D

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I've added the wagon sheets and tied them on using 0.75mm rigging hemp from Cornwall Model Boats. They need a few touches of paint, but I think they look the part. I dug out a cotton printed wagon sheet, which I'd been given a while back, to compare with the paper I used this time. I think I prefer the paper. It's stiffer and holds the creases better, which I believe looks better. I probably need to check out some more photos of the real thing for future projects.
20221228_112403.jpg20221228_112434.jpg