LMS Swanbroke (Goods)

Vaughan45

LNER Swanbroke (Goods)

After a small delay I have started a new small 4mm scale layout based on an LNER (Ex GER) line near the Norfolk / Suffolk border.

As this is designed to be a semi-permanent layout along the office wall, I have used a fairly heavy duty stripwood frame with plywood baseboard surface. The track & turnouts are Peco code 75 Bullhead, with most of the webbing between sleepers removed after laying to give the track a more open feel with daylight between the rail & ballast. A drainage dyke runs across the board. The baseboard edge frame visible in the photograph will be covered by the goods yard entrance bridge at the front of the board, with a weir / sluice gates to the rear.

Swanbroke1.JPG

Swanbroke1a.JPG

So far the track has been laid and wired up for DCC operation with a ring main style Bus around the baseboard frame, with individual power feeds to each section of track and to the turnout polarity change-over switches. Turnout control is manual using rods that also operate the polarity switches under each turnout.

The era will be LNER circa 1936/38. With a bit of licence that should J15s with original and raised cab roof lines to be used in addition to rolling stock with both per & post 1936 lettering styles.

Swanbroke2.JPG

Swanbroke3.JPG

Vaughan45

Norfolk/Suffolk border, what a fantastic place to set a layout!

But I would say that wouldn't I?

Sounds a good plan look forward to seeing more....

Be warned there is a GER mafia here on WT... ;)
Having moved to a village on the Norfolk/Suffolk border about 4 weeks before the 1st Covid lockdown, I must agree with your first comment.

Re GER mafia, I will need to do my research thoroughly then, to ensure that no errant locomotives or stock appear!

Current likely locos are J15s, a J70 without side skirts and possibly one of the Accurascale J68/J69 as a stand in for a J65. If I can improve my soldering skills then I need to tackle the etched kit for a J17.

I believe there was a J39 & N7 based at Lowestoft, but that wasn't until WWII or later so not appropriate for my era, unless someone can advise otherwise?

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Good to see, Vaughan.

Just about to start another bit of bucolic ex-GER East Anglianesque marlarky myself...........

Rob

Vaughan45

Good to see, Vaughan.

Just about to start another bit of bucolic ex-GER East Anglianesque marlarky myself...........

Rob
Good luck with your new project Rob, I look forward to being inspired by that, which may help prevent me from straying westwards.

I suspect your project will be completed well before my diversion which is designed to be a home based slow burner type of project on which I hope to try out a few new (to me) techniques.

LNER Swanbroke (Goods)

Vaughan45

I should have added that the layout can either be operated using the track where the loop starts as a 'scenic staging area' or it has also been designed so a cantilevered staging stick could be attached to the right hand side across the office doorway.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Having moved to a village on the Norfolk/Suffolk border about 4 weeks before the 1st Covid lockdown, I must agree with your first comment.

Re GER mafia, I will need to do my research thoroughly then, to ensure that no errant locomotives or stock appear!

Current likely locos are J15s, a J70 without side skirts and possibly one of the Accurascale J68/J69 as a stand in for a J65. If I can improve my soldering skills then I need to tackle the etched kit for a J17.

I believe there was a J39 & N7 based at Lowestoft, but that wasn't until WWII or later so not appropriate for my era, unless someone can advise otherwise?
Oh we are quite harmless really..... And very happy to help with research.

As you say there aren't that many GER RTR products out there.... Luckily the ones that there are that you have allready mentioned are particularly good.... I certainly have one or two J15s.....

Re your question about N7s/J39s... It was Stratford policy as things got longer in the tooth to send things further north. So basically all the modern machines were in the London area and the old bangers hung out in Norwich/Lynn. So given they were practically brand new in the LNER era the N7s didn't get up north until the late 30s.... That said the Oxford N7 is such a lovely model (despite its two whistles) that I would advise that rule one applies. Same with the J39 I would say.... Although that would be more likely to get up north.

George

Vaughan45

Oh we are quite harmless really..... And very happy to help with research.

As you say there aren't that many GER RTR products out there.... Luckily the ones that there are that you have allready mentioned are particularly good.... I certainly have one or two J15s.....

Re your question about N7s/J39s... It was Stratford policy as things got longer in the tooth to send things further north. So basically all the modern machines were in the London area and the old bangers hung out in Norwich/Lynn. So given they were practically brand new in the LNER era the N7s didn't get up north until the late 30s.... That said the Oxford N7 is such a lovely model (despite its two whistles) that I would advise that rule one applies. Same with the J39 I would say.... Although that would be more likely to get up north.

George
Thank you George,

That is useful information. Although my line is a goods branch I was hoping the new(ish) owners of the old Nu-Cast kit range would re-introduce the kit for the E2 which I believe was once produced, as I think I could possibly justify one of those.

If I had an N7 then I would probably need to de-livery the BR version as I thought most had the condensing gear removed in the mid 30s. I'm not sure if Oxford Rail will ever release an LNER liveried N7 in that condition & with a pre-1946 number,

Cheers
Vaughan

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Thank you George,

That is useful information. Although my line is a goods branch I was hoping the new(ish) owners of the old Nu-Cast kit range would re-introduce the kit for the E2 which I believe was once produced, as I think I could possibly justify one of those.

If I had an N7 then I would probably need to de-livery the BR version as I thought most had the condensing gear removed in the mid 30s. I'm not sure if Oxford Rail will ever release an LNER liveried N7 in that condition & with a pre-1946 number,

Cheers
Vaughan
If you mean E4(T26 to those of us who are versed in ancient languages) nu cast partners have recently re released that kit.... I would get in touch with them....

IMG_20231107_211003380.jpg

A good kit but has one snag.... The size of the splashers is a bit too big.... Here's two of mine for example. On the left the Gibson (really need to finish that kit) offering and the right the nu cast (ex Stephen Poole) offering which I inherited from a previous collection. You can see the difference in splasher size and depends on how noticeable you feel it is som filing sanding and filler should sort it out. Once I've got the frames made mine will get the splashers replaced with some much larger ones as the plan is to convert it to a GER D27 but that's another story....

I know what you mean about the Oxford N7 as they only did 8011 in LNER early condition.... And that's very early condition almost new.....

Anyway sorry for hogging the airspace on your thread.... Just procrastinating from doing any lining.....

Vaughan45

If you mean E4(T26 to those of us who are versed in ancient languages) nu cast partners have recently re released that kit.... I would get in touch with them....

View attachment 200593

A good kit but has one snag.... The size of the splashers is a bit too big.... Here's two of mine for example. On the left the Gibson (really need to finish that kit) offering and the right the nu cast (ex Stephen Poole) offering which I inherited from a previous collection. You can see the difference in splasher size and depends on how noticeable you feel it is som filing sanding and filler should sort it out. Once I've got the frames made mine will get the splashers replaced with some much larger ones as the plan is to convert it to a GER D27 but that's another story....

I know what you mean about the Oxford N7 as they only did 8011 in LNER early condition.... And that's very early condition almost new.....

Anyway sorry for hogging the airspace on your thread.... Just procrastinating from doing any lining.....

No Problem, all good useful information.

I did mean E4 and will contact Nu-Cast Partners as suggested. I had also forgotten that Alan Gibson produced etched kits for both the LNER E4 & F6, so I may also contact the current range owners to see where they are on their batch production priority list. I believe they may already have produced a small run of E4 kits in 7mm scale.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
No Problem, all good useful information.

I did mean E4 and will contact Nu-Cast Partners as suggested. I had also forgotten that Alan Gibson produced etched kits for both the LNER E4 & F6, so I may also contact the current range owners to see where they are on their batch production priority list. I believe they may already have produced a small run of E4 kits in 7mm scale.
Yeah I think Alan Gibson have forgotten they produced loco kits and all.... When I chatted with Colin a while back he was basically so busy with wheels etc and more people bought those the kits were very much on the back burner.

The brass one you see there is built from the last one of the last batch of E4 kits ever produced..... But of a claim to fame.... Just needs finishing.....

Vaughan45

The RCTS green books give total numbers of locos allocated to sheds in the LNER period so would be useful for working out allocations. They are now available online once you register on the RCTS website.

Tony
Thank you Tony,
I will register with RCTS website and have a look as you suggest, that should give me a few clues on suitable motive power.
Cheers
Vaughan

Vaughan45

Thank you to everyone for the loco allocation pointers, I have now a better understanding of the allocation history at Ipswich, Lowestoft & Great Yarmouth.

A little progress has been made on installing bridge structures over 'the drain'. The basic rail bridge structure is almost complete, the access road base is installed and work on the road bridge continues. Both bridges are a mix of Wills parts and scratch-built support structure clad in Redutex engineering brick sheet. They will be weathered at a later date.

The 'drain' section between the bridges will have 2/3 height walls, one side including a couple of water outflow pipe openings. Planning of the weir has also been started.

Swanbroke4.JPG

To the left of the road bridge will be the goods depot entrance complete with weighbridge & scales building. The yard will then extend to the coal merchants bins & huts and then onto the trackside goods shed / end loading.

Swanbroke5.JPG

Vaughan45

Some further progress on the sluice area. The one on the right is presumed to be the original, whilst the newer higher capacity concrete one to the left represents something possibly built under 1930's government sponsored drainage improvements. Some parts from Wills and Busch kits have been utilised in the build. Both sluices require weathering.

The side walls require capping and as the scenic build continues an ash / rough gravel surface will be applied to the sluice access pathway. Next to be installed are the side walls between the bridges, the drainage bed and 'water'

Swanbroke6.JPG

Swanbroke7.JPG

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Vaughan,

That looks lovely and not something I can remember seeing modelled ( maybe Iain Rice ). There's lots of detail to highlight at the painting /weathering stage which when coupled with some nice scenic work will produce a really nice little cameo.

Rob.

Vaughan45

Thank you Rob, I am just hoping I can get somewhere near your excellent results when I get to the weathering stage.

The layout now seems to be veering more towards a fenland setting, rather than the being based in the Waveney Valley. Particular inspiration at the moment is coming from the Benwick and Stoke Ferry branches. My limited research on fenland development seems to indicate that there were archaeological surveys done on the waterways in the 1930s plus some new works to improve existing drainage.

I am also toying with the idea of having a covered goods shed as a layout design feature rather than a trackside one. Whilst the usual wisdom is to achieve structure balance across the layout, photographs of some fenland goods stations do feature a goods shed as a single standout structure in an otherwise flat remote environment - WT members comments to help me would be appreciated!

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Hi Vaughan,

I think the Great Eastern generally was quite big on goods sheds. It may have been a consequence of being a largely agricultural railway, with a bigger emphasis on perishable goods (rather than minerals).

I have recently finished a goods shed based on Lavenham and it does seem to have a family style which it shared with other stations where the main buildings were in the 1865 style. That said, there were many variations as the GER was an amalgam of numerous other companies, each with their own style and it also developed other styles for later construction.

In short, a goods shed would be a fine thing!

Nigel

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Hi Vaughan,

I think the Great Eastern generally was quite big on goods sheds. It may have been a consequence of being a largely agricultural railway, with a bigger emphasis on perishable goods (rather than minerals).

I have recently finished a goods shed based on Lavenham and it does seem to have a family style which it shared with other stations where the main buildings were in the 1865 style. That said, there were many variations as the GER was an amalgam of numerous other companies, each with their own style and it also developed other styles for later construction.

In short, a goods shed would be a fine thing!

Nigel

If you are looking for drawings/details of GER goods sheds there's a couple of good articles in the GERS journals

Journal 71 has a piece on the ongar goods shed

Journal 145 has drawings and photos of the super size goods shed and granary at mildenhall. If you want a rural structure that is massive that's the one to take a look at

George