Full Size Lightweight DMUs / Evan Green-Hughes

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
View attachment 48637

Normally retailing at £16.99, I found this new copy on a trader's stand at a small local model railway exhibition at £4.99. It would have been churlish not to buy.

With JLTRT promising a kit covering the early BR Derby Lightweight DMUs, and having a bit of a soft spot for the machines anyway, I was pleased to find this book from Ian Allan, published in 2012, rather full of excellent images and lots of well-written text. Covering the concept, design and service lives of mainly the "bay window" vehicles, it also covers the first generation Metro-Cammell units. If you like DMUs, you'll probably like this book. It may well be worth seeing if it's being remaindered by other sellers.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I was caught in a server glitch as I posted. I'm not sure if it's possible for me to delete the triplicates threads, so if a passing mod or admin doesn't mind doing the honours.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I bought this book for full price when it first came out, mainly because I used to travel on the Derby Lightweights when I was a child. It was worth that price then. So much more detail than the brief overview in MLI.
Could I briefly highjack this thread to ask if anyone has good drawings of the bogies? I'd like to build one in gauge 3 for the 1960 version of Aldeburgh Wharf. The NRM have drawings of the body , but nothing below the solebar. I made a trip to see the one at Ecclesbourne, but it was cold and I didn't get all the measurements I need. (and I live in London so It's a bit of a hassle)