4mm Life in a Northern Town - Ever more York

Neil

Western Thunderer
Thank you, that's an interesting suggestion Simon but I think it will be less work to start again with a solidly braced 80thou carcass. Apart from it all going as curly as a seventies BR cheese sandwich, in a moment of forgetfulness I cut the brick overlay flush with the sides where I should have let it overhang to be trimmed back on assembly.

At the moment I'm in the middle of painting the insides of the grampuses? grampi?

AJC

Western Thunderer
Grampuses is the recognised plural.

Ian

Which makes sense - it's Latin only at about three removes (via Middle English and Anglo Norman and Old French), so you could, if you wanted, have any plural form you like, just not a Latin one, well, unless you routinely Latinise endings of all words with a Latin root you use.

Adam

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Mrs O-to-be came up to Norfolk - one evening a critter ran across the road in front of us, its eyes caught in the headlights, which prompted her to ask "Was that a coypus?".
Ain't it all confusing......

Neil

Western Thunderer
I've been away this last week in the real Northern Town but before I went I spent a pleasant afternoon creating this.

toad hall 1.jpg

Well what's a chap to do when a friend gives you a Dublo GWR brakevan?

Also an update on Fred, last seen as a kitten, now at ten months old and on the prowl.

IMG_3884.JPG

Finally found this little mini crocodile on one of the chairs when we went out for breakfast about an hour ago.

mini croc.jpg

Sadly dead and crispy but it shows that the garden must be good for wildlife.

Suffolk Dave

Western Thunderer
Fred is a fine looking cat!

Is that a Great Crested Newt?

Nice conversion of the gwr brake van - disguised it well!

malc60015

I've been away this last week in the real Northern Town but before I went I spent a pleasant afternoon creating this.

View attachment 187537

Well what's a chap to do when a friend gives you a Dublo GWR brakevan?

Also an update on Fred, last seen as a kitten, now at ten months old and on the prowl.

View attachment 187538

Finally found this little mini crocodile on one of the chairs when we went out for breakfast about an hour ago.

View attachment 187539

Sadly dead and crispy but it shows that the garden must be good for wildlife.
Is there a connection between Fred and the Newt.
just asking for a friend.

cheers malc

Neil

Western Thunderer
Fred is a fine looking cat!

Is that a Great Crested Newt?

Nice conversion of the gwr brake van - disguised it well!

Thank you, we think he is.

Mrs R tells me that it's a common lizard; though we have newts (ordinary ones) in our pond in the front garden.

Thank you.

Is there a connection between Fred and the Newt.
just asking for a friend.

cheers malc

I doubt it, no teeth marks, his pray looks far more careworn.

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer
Mrs R tells me that it's a common lizard; though we have newts (ordinary ones) in our pond in the front garden.
now far be it from me to contradict Mrs R, but surely that is a UNcommon lizard, since it is, indisputably, an ex-Lizard. E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This lizard is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the bench 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-LIZARD!!

Forgive me, I don’t know what came over me…

Neil

Western Thunderer
Sometimes relatively simple things bring inordinate pleasure. Here's the latest inhabitant of my workbench, a Base Toys Bristol Lodekka. I found it some time ago on Hatton's website at a bargain price but not quite right for my needs. The livery was correct but the company branding on the side was 'West Yorkshire' rather than the York West Yorkshire appropriate for my specific location, however I thought I could live with this. Less easy to overlook was the Bradford destination on the blinds. My first thought was to cover this up with transfers and I made several transfers for the complete front and rear upper panels which I thought I'd apply whole. Once on I was very disappointed with the results as the Bradford destination grinned through my home made transfers. I put the bus to one side. Yesterday it came out of it it's box and with noting to loose I started to see if I could strip off the destination panel yet leave the red paint underneath unmarked. Rubbing away with Astonish on cotton bud and coffee stirrer took of the the destination, but left a matt slightly paler patch. I masked off the upper panels, sprayed with Halfords satin lacquer, applied the transfers but only the destination and number. Jobs a good 'un, why didn't I do this at the outset?

bus 01.jpg

This morning I had a bit of a wobble, was my memory correct, did the bus I took home from my Grandma and Grandad's have Fulford on its blind or was it the more specific Fordlands Road? A quick look round the internet brought up this image, I'm a very happy chap.

bus 02.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I certainly remember the West Yorkshire Road Car Company buses carrying York-West Yorkshire and Keighley-West Yorkshire.

Both created in the 1930s by West Yorkshire Road Car Company local joint agreements with Keighley Corporation and York City Council.

Neil

Western Thunderer
To go with the bus, a bridge. Here it is in mock up format, Co-op fruit and fibre cereal boxes and glue gun deployed in construction.

yk 367.jpg

On the other side of the layout Farmer's yard nears completion.

yk 365.jpg

yk 366.jpg

The principle work this week has been to tidy up the light railway wiring and shift it's control position to avoid the bottleneck by the yard. You can see where it's ended up in the bridge photo. Before I could sort out the wiring I reasoned that I would need to install and paint the fascia so I wasn't dripping paint over the switch or controller. Here's a view down the room; it's been a busy week.

yk 368.jpg

This afternoon, keeping to the busy theme, Fred has been to the vets, I've shopped for provisions for tonight and stocked up the layout but what on earth is going on here?

yk 369.jpg

Neil

Western Thunderer
With the odd fine day this last week I've progressed a couple of woodwork projects both so I can start putting some scenery in.

When my mates come round for an operating session, food and drink play a part and the layout having large flat surfaces mugs have been plonked down on the bare wood sections. Obviously tea and scenery don't mix so I've knocked up mug holders to be fixed below the fascia at the control positions.

yk 370.jpg

They're not quite finished yet but they'll be in place before the next operating session. Dictats have been issued regarding their use, miscreants will have privileges withdrawn i.e. no chocolate biscuits and be subjected to a re-education program.

I've also sorted out the bed of the river Ouse. Like the fascia it's hardboard, glued and pinned in place. The pins have been punched in, the holes filled as has the join between sections. At the time of the photo it had been filled, sanded, painted and filled again. This afternoon I sanded back again and gave it another coat. I think it will be smooth enough for the paint and varnish stage next.

yk 371.jpg