4mm Life in a Northern Town - Ever more York

Neil

Western Thunderer
That is really effective! Looks great, and everything in pounds, shillings and once too(!) .....

Ah, back to simpler times when sums were harder and there was no spell check to give a false sense of security.

Back to the bench; is it possible for structures to have an unhealthy interest in bondage?

yk 297.jpg

Resisting the temptation to mention back passages, developments have moved on to the rear.

yk 298.jpg

First a side wall and then the whole back yard.

yk 299.jpg

For the other end wall I wanted a rendered finish. I think I overdid it with the filler; it took ages to sand back to an acceptable degree of unevenness.

yk 300.jpg

Last edited:

Neil

Western Thunderer
I've done a bit more. The rendered wall has had the signwriters at it. Normally for painted lettering I cut a mask with thin tags for the centres of Os A's and the like. This time letters with an enclosed centre were just cut out as an outline shape and I painted in the missing bits in wall colours when the lettering was dry. Lots easier this way I feel.

yk 301.jpg

Framer's tree surgeon will occupy a yard to the left of the grocers shop. The shop itself will be named for my late and much loved great aunt who brought up my mum from an early age.

yk 302.jpg

If I'm honest I'm not a hundred percent convinced by the roof pitch. I've a feeling that it should perhaps be a bit steeper but it's what the kit comes with and it would be a right pain to alter.

Neil

Western Thunderer
Late last month, back at post 255, I showed the improbable trains my mates turn up with on a Friday night. On other Fridays Thomas and Duck have made appearances so any pretensions at a realistic North Eastern setting go out of the window. However it's not a one way street, this last Friday I took this fine ensemble round to my mate Patrick's gigantic two track main line tail chaser.

clock 01.jpg

It's back on home metals now as I didn't take my camera with me but I was pleasantly surprised at the length of run and how moderate the speed was.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
It's back on home metals now as I didn't take my camera with me but I was pleasantly surprised at the length of run and how moderate the speed was.
No photos? What a shame, they would've been fine fodder for the WT Naughty Corner :) :thumbs:

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
I had the black one with a circle of plastic track, a tank wagon and a red open as my first train set.
Replaced the loco with a boxed example a few years back.
With the current cost of elastictrickery, spring power could make a return :p

Neil

Western Thunderer
Since the last update I've been on holiday and acquired a kitten. I have when the dust settled from both managed to get on some more with the undeveloped side of the layout, where the light railway heads out of town alongside the river. Here are a few photos showing the rough placing of features and the track bed construction from cutting the basic shape in mdf, to blocking it up with inch square battens and finally sticking down the yoga mat foam underlay.

yk 303.jpg

yk 306.jpg

yk 307.jpg

yk 311.jpg

yk 312.jpg

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Please is this a reusable baseboard topped off with OSB, on which you can build a succession of layouts? It looks like a substantial structure.

Neil

Western Thunderer
We probably need a photo of the kitten. I presume it’s standard gauge.

As requested, here's Fred.

fred 01.jpg

Please is this a reusable baseboard topped off with OSB, on which you can build a succession of layouts? It looks like a substantial structure.

It is a fairly substantial structure. I would have preferred chipboard but when I wanted to alter the trackbed at the other side of the layout from the recent photos the battens and mdf came away from the OSB more cleanly than they would have from chipboard. An unforseen bonus. It is unlikely that I'll build a sucession of layouts on the same sub structure as I don't work quickly and what I've got to do to complete this one will take some time.

Neil

Western Thunderer
Oh dear, it seems as though Fred has gained more likes than the railway, however that's no deterent to progress. Here's where I've got to with the light railway side of the layout.

yk 317.jpg

yk 318.jpg

All the track, with the exception of the curved siding has been cut and fixed together with rail joiners. I've been waiting for a track pin delivery (just arrived) so that I can make more progress. I'll need to swap out some of the rail joiners for insulated ones and arrange for the right sort of electric knitting to be applied before pinning into place. I'm told I have until next Friday evening to complete these works when my mates will turn up to operate/play/bugger about with the layout.