LBSCR Horsebox C1856

Mike W

Western Thunderer
The last LNWR horseboxes to have top hinged upper doors were the first 19ft 6in examples in 1880. The GA drawing has survived but in dreadful condition, so attached is a re-draw of it done by my brother Bob Williams for the LNWR Society Journal many years ago. In this case dropping the lower doors automatically opens the top doors, but your handles are on the top doors, so the mechanism may be different. The LNWR is of course a double ended horebox, so the mechanism is entirely inside. I don't know on the single ended types whether it was inside or outside, but the LBSC drawing shows none of it, so maybe it was all hidden, in which case this is a bit irrelevant to you. But hopefully of interest anyway.

Mike

Attachments

• 19ft 6in horsebox.jpeg
    19ft 6in horsebox.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 21

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Mike
How can a horsebox not be interesting. When I modelled in 7mm, I had about half a dozen or more horseboxes all waiting to be assembled. I never did get around to finishing them off and they were all sold when I gave up 7mm.

In my haste to get the roof on, I forgot to put in a floor and also the lead weights that I felt were needed to give it a bit of ballast. I have put a floor in on the second box including some weight in the form of lead strips.
There is a water drip that goes all around the roof edge which I'll have a go at putting on later.

Jon

IMG_4924.JPG

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Pretty much were we were for a few weeks before Christmas. We went a full ten days with no delivery at all. Any parcels I had to send out for the children in the family went by courier where I'd normally have used the regular mail.

Brian

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
All finished now apart from the painting. As I like to do this in the garden these days, I'm going to have to wait until the warmer weather gets here.

The problem with making models in G3 is that storage space is consumed at an alarming rate. The display platform where my models stand is almost full. There's just about enough room for the two LSWR wagons which I'm planning to build but then that's it. I already have two locomotives and five wagons on my bookshelves. I wouldn't want to put more there otherwise there would be no room for books :).

Jon

IMG_4939.JPGIMG_4946.JPG

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Here are the both boxes painted but they are the wrong colour! I picked up a tin of spray paint that I thought I had used on the other LBSCR stock that I have and sprayed away. I was a bit shocked with the colour but thought that it would tone right down after the application of a coat of matt varnish. Thinking this, I even applied the transfers. This is the result and there is also some crazing on the right hand wagon. This may down to a mixture of acrylic and enamel varnish but, why didn't it happen on the whole of the horsebox. I'm going to leave the crazed paintwork as there isn't much that I can do about it now. What i would like to do is to tone the boxes down which i think could be a bit more than going over them both with a dry brush of matt black. Any suggestions from anyone?? I've never tried weathering as always thought that I would mess up my models obviously, now is the time try it out. All/any suggestions welcome.

One picture taken in the garden, the other indoors.

Jon

IMG_5059-001.JPGIMG_5062-001.JPG

mswjr

Western Thunderer
On smaller oo, and o gauge models i just slap very thinned down matt black paint on , One side at a time, Then wipe it all off again with a cotton cloth, this leaves the black in all the crevasses and it looks good, when dry i dry brush a rust colour on the metal bits, But doing it to a nice model takes some courage, You need something to practice on.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Re the colour, I think, not certain, that I should have used Vauxhall Burgundy Red instead of the Ford Burgundy Red. I probably didn't think the colour odd when it came out of the can as it changes so much once it's over coated with matt varnish, heigh ho. Another thought is that I used red oxide as a primer before instead of the grey this time around. I've made up some sample pieces that, once fully painted, I can use for practice weathering.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Here is the other horse box with it's weathering effect. I realise that it's not the most subtle of jobs but at least the base colour is toned down. I was trying to think why the colour was so wrong compared to the other LBSCR carriages that I have painted and then it came to me. Lately, everything that I have painted has come out of a spray tin of ready mixed paint and I just assumed that that is what I did for the earlier carriages, not! When I was rummaging about in the draw where I keep my tinlets of paint, I came across several marked mahogany. It was then that I realised that I had thinned these down and used my air brush, DOH! Alas, the little grey cells are becoming more grey. Ah, well, I'm planning some early LSWR carriages and they will be mahogany. With a bit of luck and a following wind, I may remember to use the correct colour.

JonIMG_5067.JPG