7mm Layouts and Dioramas by Stephen Fay, including Pontycwm, Newton Mills and St Stephens Bank

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The dioramas look much better photographed in daylight.

Getting some greenery around the rocks and the first pass of static grass
IMG_6190.jpeg

Being based aorund the Woodhead route have you given any thought to the 1500v DC catenary?

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
The dioramas look much better photographed in daylight.

Being based aorund the Woodhead route have you given any thought to the 1500v DC catenary?
I hope to deliver Beattystone in a couple of weeks to the customer, he has a friend who has offered to make the gantries, once they are done I’ll install them and attempt to wire them up, we are not sure what to use yet wire or the EZ line like I use on the telegraph wires.IMG_6277.jpeg

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Steve,
I always enjoy seeing your work on WT. I must say that with the Box Tunnel scene you have excelled yourself. In particular, the photo of the tunnel mouth, without a train shown in post 1264 is some of the most realistic modelling I've ever seen. Simply stunning.

Dave.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Steve,
I always enjoy seeing your work on WT. I must say that with the Box Tunnel scene you have excelled yourself. In particular, the photo of the tunnel mouth, without a train shown in post 1264 is some of the most realistic modelling I've ever seen. Simply stunning.

Dave.
Many thanks for your kind words, Box has been a very enjoyable project. In a few weeks the owner professional photographer Jack Boskett will be collecting it and taking some better shots, this diorama along with an old favourite Mermaid cove will be on display at the Swindon model show at Steam 11th September

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I hope to deliver Beattystone in a couple of weeks to the customer, he has a friend who has offered to make the gantries, once they are done I’ll install them and attempt to wire them up, we are not sure what to use yet wire or the EZ line like I use on the telegraph wires.

I used some EZ line as tramway conductor wire just over five years ago. I thought it was the bee's knees, especially when I could pull it out of the way for dusting. It is now dropping to bits. Then again, it would be straightforward to re-string it. The layout is in my house, usual environment with central heating and fresh air and so on.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I hope to deliver Beattystone in a couple of weeks to the customer, he has a friend who has offered to make the gantries, once they are done I’ll install them and attempt to wire them up, we are not sure what to use yet wire or the EZ line like I use on the telegraph wires.

I used some EZ line as tramway conductor wire just over five years ago. I thought it was the bee's knees, especially when I could pull it out of the way for dusting. It is now dropping to bits. Then again, it would be straightforward to re-string it. The layout is in my house, usual environment with central heating and fresh air and so on.

I think building a representation of the 1,500v DC compound catenary and contact wires may be a tad too far and difficult with EZ line as you'd have to be having to create something like this.

This is one of my photos of Godley Junction (Manchester) taken in 1981.

Godley Junction 01 1981.jpg

And a close up of the compound catenary.

Godley Junction 02 1981.jpg

I'd stick with 0.35mm tinned copper wire as this can be soldered then painted a mid grey/green

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
I think building a representation of the 1,500v DC compound catenary and contact wires may be a tad too far and difficult with EZ line as you'd have to be having to create something like this.

This is one of my photos of Godley Junction (Manchester) taken in 1981.

View attachment 187035

And a close up of the compound catenary.

View attachment 187036

I'd stick with 0.35mm tinned copper wire as this can be soldered then painted a mid grey/green
I have suggested copper wire to the owner, I think they are going down the plastruct route as they want similar gantries to Woodhead Tunnel, until it’s made I won’t know and if we can then solder any where near it.