LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry
You never fancied moving your work up to 7mm? By that I mean the drawings being moved to 7mm. Just a question...

Hope you and yours are safe

Mike
It has been considered Mike. 7mm scale demands a lot more detail and so would involve a lot of alterations to the 4mm CAD's. My interest is purely in building some mid to late 1930's GWR corridor stock, but the idea fell at the first hurdle because I could not locate cast whitemetal Pressed Steel bogie sideframes with cast-on stepboards.

I will probably look at what is available in 7mm seeing as I only want one-off coaches for my own needs.

We are both fine thanks.

Larry

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Larry

OK...I'll bite, why 'with cast-on stepboards'? I've read your reply several times and I can't see the importance of the additional step boards...especially cast ones. Perhaps I'm being thick....wouldn't be the first time.

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike, Pressed Steel bogies look bare without the eight stepboards and would be incorrect in traffic. Only official photos of newly built coaches show bogies without them. I much prefer cast-on step boards because soldering cast or etched ones onto whitemetal sideframes is a dodgy business from a melting point of view. Plus getting them all in line is a curse. It is easier for the pattern maker to do this as he only has to do it once and he is working with brass.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Larry.

A quick question if I may.

I normally use Humbrol Matt acrylic spray varnish to seal weathering powders with a very light 'dusting' but I'm currently having a few supply issues.

Back on page three you made reference to using Halfotds Matt lacquer.

Are you still favouring this?

I've previously tried Testors Dullcote and found that weathering powders didn't cope well with it, colours being lost. It was too 'wet and on my can at least, not a fine spray.

Is the spray from the Halfords Matt a fine spray?

I don't have an airbrush so I'm reliant on aerosols to spray.

Rob.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Morning Larry.

A quick question if I may.

I normally use Humbrol Matt acrylic spray varnish to seal weathering powders with a very light 'dusting' but I'm currently having a few supply issues.

Back on page three you made reference to using Halfotds Matt lacquer.

Are you still favouring this?

I've previously tried Testors Dullcote and found that weathering powders didn't cope well with it, colours being lost. It was too 'wet and on my can at least, not a fine spray.

Is the spray from the Halfords Matt a fine spray?

I don't have an airbrush so I'm reliant on aerosols to spray.

Rob.
Good morning. PhilH and I shared an order for Dullcote matt spraycans from abroad, but to be honest i am getting a truer matt finish from Halfords Matt Lacquer.

However, for coaches I use Halfords spray SATIN lacquer. A couple of light coats is enough and it seals transfers such as HMRS 'Methfix', which I continue to curse!

With MATT lacquer, several light coats are better with the spraycan held further from the model.

I have a 5-pint can of clear cellulose but I haven't used it since using Halfords lacquers. The latter are safer on plastic rtr models as well.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I uncovered an old Peter Chatham LMS extruded roof a couple of weeks ago and used it on a coach I was building. When Wheeltappers sold out, I went over to other extrusions that weren't quite LMS. The picture below shows a P C Models LMS roof on the right and Dart Castings roof on the left, which I recently standardized on.
WEB extruded roofs 1.jpg

I don't think 4mm will ever get a pucker LMS roof profile again, but at least it is miles better than the 7mm offering....
WEB Roof profiles.jpg

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Good morning Larry,

A friend on the other channel has asked about the coach body in the photo below. Any idea what its origins are?

196B58CE-AB8A-42E1-9BA7-BE337EC085D0.jpeg.d695f2c6d4db3901f86272ea1f3d6c23.jpeg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Dismantled and re-sprayed a Dapol O gauge B-set in BR plain maroon livery with weathered chassis, bogies and ends. First Class and No Smoking stickers on windows and varnished satin finish. I didn't want to do it as I am reluctant to use the cellulose I have left that was mixed to match BR maroon from Derby works...
WEB B set  2.jpg

The Canon DSLR delivers brighter reds in sunlight than Nikon. I've tried under-exposure and messing out in PS in the past to no avail.
WEB B set 1.jpg

Dismantled and re-sprayed a Dapol O gauge B-set in BR plain maroon livery with weathered chassis, bogies and ends. First Class and No Smoking stickers on windows and varnished satin finish. I didn't want to do it as I am reluctant to use the cellulose I have left that was mixed to match BR maroon from Derby works...
View attachment 142511

The Canon DSLR delivers brighter reds in sunlight than Nikon. I've tried under-exposure and messing out in PS in the past to no avail.
View attachment 142512
They look superb Larry with just the right amount of weathering.

Regards Peter

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I recently had the opportunity of seeing first hand the new Hornby Coronation Scot coaches...

WEB Coronation 3.jpg

So I took the body off one chassis and removed the glazing before spraying it with Halfords grey Plastic Primer. BR blood and custard followed. The destination boards are considered to be facing inwards...
WEB Coronation 3rd 1.jpg

I don't regard it as a good idea re-spraying them. If I were doing it as a pro job, the plastic sides would be replaced by etched brass sides.
WEB Coronation 3rd 2.jpg
I saw some of these coaches standing in sidings behind Hollinwood station in 1958 or 1959, withdrawn and in blood & custard livery.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
How accurate are they Larry? Any comments or insights?
They look pretty accurate to me. I was one of the people Hornby asked for assistance, so my claim to fame are the correct 8' bogies on the kitchen car instead of the 'standard 9' that LMS coaches are usually mounted on. Hornby has pulled out the stops with this Coronation set so modellers now have a 50' Kitchen Car, 57' Open Brake First and 65' Open First to look forward to in standard LMS and BR liveries. If Hornby gives them roofs with shell vents, this will make them even more useful...
WEB Coronation 65ft 1.jpg WEB Coronation kitchen 1.jpg WEB Coronation kitchen 2.jpg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The kitchen car was an interesting design, although it had electric pass through connections, the car itself only had gas lighting and heating.

My enthusiasm for this coach is derived from later use on many named trains, the Midlander using one in its Jubilee powered 2 hour train era. My 7mm Sidelines kit was my first as it really has no visible interior and was therefore easier to build and slightly less expensive to buy.

As a part of the blue coronation set it had very limited service but in B&C and maroon livery it could be seen all over the LMR main lines.