LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Funny, isn’t it. I loathe building coaches, they’re fiddly, they need a really good paint job, there’s lots of repetitive detail, and they’re large & fragile. And you need between 1 & 6 times as many as you need locos……
I know exactly what you mean. In my painting & lining days, I used ot looks at coaches that came in for painting and wonder how the builders had the patience to fit loads of separate droplights, and bend up and fit door & grab handles. So I started with a blank sheet of paper designing all the bits and pieces I saw as an obstacle to sustainable mass construction.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Models in grey primer have something about them. Bassett-Lowke in Manchester must have known this, as their latest loco or whatever was always displayed in the window in grey primer, which was a magnet for enthusiasts young and old in the 1950's. Around 1946, I talked one of my dads brothers into travelling down to the city from Hyde in one of Manchesters large bogie trams. He was hoping to buy some bits and pieces from B.Lowke's to further a live steam loco he had started before the war. Happy dayz.
WEB LMS DS1968 5.jpg

Sides lower than the ends is clearly seen. The whole side was lower including the windows and this left a deeper eaves panel. Welded underframe and bogies...
WEB LMS DS1968 5B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A close up of the weathering and lubrication on the axleboxes. This was done by dipping black weathering powder into a small amount of turps and stippling it on with a very short hair brush. Those bufferbeam red seats don't look so bright through 4mm coach windows, which is why I use colours that are brighter than the real thing for interiors. Dark red or maroon seats would appear almost black...

WEB LMS DS1968 6.jpg

I should have wiped the ducket clean of 'debris' before taking this shot. Ah well. I had to mix some more cellulose rust colour yesterday and by the time I had mixed red, yellow, black and white, I had a large coffee jar full! Note it is slightly darker than the rails which were painted with Precision/Phoenix 'Rusty Rails' paint.
WEB LMS DS1968 6B.jpg

A blood & custard LMS 'all-steel' corridor brake second built around Comet (Wizard Models) etched sides will follow in due course.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
This GWR Dia. E157 brake composite was built 3 months ago, but it's time is approaching for the sprayshop. As is now the usual practice, it has received addition detail prior to painting like middle and top door hinges. It was one of the rare GWR coaches to get continuous roof rainstrips and it didn't appear to have normal guttering. Presumably the rain strip was meant to do that job. But it did have a strip of beading plus short rain strips above the doors...
WEB GWR E157 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
LMS ex. Coronation Scot D1905 brake third repainted in blood & custard. During the conversion, the LMS moved the water filler pipes from the passenger end to the brake end to avoid the 'clerestory' pod. It is said that none of the London Midland areas of BR wanted these coaches becasue of their non-standard seating. These brake thirds had 3-per side first class seating in third class size 6' 6" compartments. Had it been me, I'd have simply rebranded them first class as I doubt passengers boarded trains armed with a tape measure! I say this because I wonder how many third class passengers realised their compartment were reduced to 6' 3" on brake thirds built from 1937 onwards.
WEB LMS D1905.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Sadly, the coach above used up the very last of my London Midland Region 'M' for prefix & suffix off HMRS Methfix Sheet 14. If anyone reading this models regions of BR other than the LMR, I can do swaps so I get M's and you get 'S's, W's E's or Sc's...

jonte

Western Thunderer
Morning Larry.

May I ask, in your vast experience, will Halford’s etched primer harm styrene sections, or even just styrene in general?

I’d appreciate any advice you could give.

Cheers.

Jonte

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I use Halfords Acid 8 on Styrene in the hope it etches into it. However, dont spray it onto existing paint, including rtr finishes, as it will attempt to etch and ruin the surface.

I found paint chipping off the Acid 8 but not right down to the brass. so what do now if apply a light wafting of Halfords primer (white or grey or red oxide) on top of Acid 8 before spraying on the colours and it solves the problem.

jonte

Western Thunderer
I use Halfords Acid 8 on Styrene in the hope it etches into it. However, dont spray it onto existing paint, including rtr finishes, as it will attempt to etch and ruin the surface.

I found paint chipping off the Acid 8 but not right down to the brass. so what do now if apply a light wafting of Halfords primer (white or grey or red oxide) on top of Acid 8 before spraying on the colours and it solves the problem.

That’s brilliant, Larry. Thank you.

Many thanks also for your prompt response.

Best.

Jonte

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I can visualize a blood & custard LMS D1730 'All-Steel' brake third on my layout and so the sides were bought from Wizard. Bits & pieces came from the spares box. This coach, plus fruit and exercise, is part of my getting back to normal regime which started this afternoon...:p
WEB LMS D1730 1.jpg

PMP

Western Thunderer
@LarryG You've probably been asked loads of times, but what paint and 'shade' do you use for BR maroon please? i.e. late BR steam in 60's

LarryG

Western Thunderer
@LarryG You've probably been asked loads of times, but what paint and 'shade' do you use for BR maroon please? i.e. late BR steam in 60's
I use cellulose mixed by ICI to match paint Fred Batholomew, storekeeper at Derby Works, obtained for me back in the day.

While the celly is an authentic shade and looks great on full lined out locomotives and carriages, I felt the need for something lighter for 4mm BR maroon models.

Basically, I spray metal coaches with Halfords Upol Acid 8 etch primer (grey). Then I spray on a light covering coat of Halfords Red Oxide primer. My cellulose lake is sprayed on followed immediately by as coat of Halford Damask Red. Damask Red on its own is too pale and brownish and lacks the 'depth' of LMS crimson lake /BR Maroon.

I haven't experimented, but there is probably a Halfords rattle can with a maroon which, when used under Damask Red, will give an acceptable BR maroon. As model enamels go, Cherries Paints had the best MR/LMS crimson lake I ever saw.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
To add to the above, a friend of mine in West Yorkshire modelled the BR(Eastern Region) and wouldn't paint anything in BR maroon. He used to say, "The beggars look black in the wrong weather". He was referring to real coaches around Bradford area. :D

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Speaking nowadays as a hobbyist, I'm in no particular hurry to get things built, and I must say it is satisfying not working against the clock. In fact, this is one of the last ex.LMS coaches needed for Llanfair, so I just do bits when it suits me.

The 'All-Steel' coaches were built by outside contractors for the LMS and did not need conventional trussing, hence the holders for the regulator box. Some of these vehicles had a wooden box on both sides...
WEB LMS D1730 2.jpg

The wooden box containing batteries...
WEB LMS D1730 3.jpg

The extra large 'steps' are I think an anti-telescoping feature. The LMS positioned these coaches at the ends of many named trains because of their ability to withstand impact damage in the event of a mishap...
WEB LMS D1730 4.jpg

The interior partition showing the twin doors to compartments. They were adopted as standard for Stanier coaches. I soldered rectangles of brass into the holes etched by Comet for Stones Vents...
WEB LMS D1730 5.jpg

A few LMS Period I and II brake end coaches retained full length bogie step boards into BR days. I know M5356M did although I am not modelling it...
WEB LMS D1730 6.jpg